THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

@ Swamprb... How did you know to go 48 hours on the Boneless Chuck Short rib plate?

I got this book to get me started.

http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/

Some of the recipes/temps/times are all over the place, so I took a middle of the road approach with their suggested instructions for Medium Rare 131* for 2 to 3 days. I had read some old blogs that people were complaining about funkiness on the 72 hour baths. I originally planned a 36 hour bath but 48 worked great.

I kind of like these sites as well as Annova for info http://www.chefsteps.com/

https://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Default.aspx

I have been playing around with my Anova since fathers day. This was last nights meal. We were eating 15min after I got home from work. It was the best pork tenderloin I've made. Even the thin portion of the loin was the same tenderness and moisture. Just perfect.

Pork%20Tenderloin.jpg

This was cooked at 135 for 3hrs.

Trying a Prime Rib. About 4.7 lbs. Carl's Prime Rib & Roast Seasoning with a few sprigs of Rosemary and Thyme. 10 hours or so at 127 and a finish on the grill for the crust (haven't decided on which one yet - really like putting them on the Weber Charcoal Rotisserie, but something about the hole in the meat.......)

Found a local grocery store with Atomic horseradish. :thumb:

See how it turns out at around 7:30 or 8.....

Yep, I'm starting to notice my favorite results are coming from my De Buyer mineral b pan nice and hot with either ghee, safflower oil or slightly refined coconut oil in that order. Don't get me wrong, my searzall has mighty fine results, but the flavor of a good pan and good oil after an anova water bath has proved to be a tasty combo.

I've had my Sous Vide cooker for a while now. The best single food that is seriously improved with Sous Vide, IMO, is fish. We have had the best salmon and cod ever from our sous vide cooker. May require a kinda long brine (20 minutes to 24 hours) depending on your goal. The brine actually saves some of the color so it is not so pale.

Trying a Prime Rib. About 4.7 lbs. Carl's Prime Rib & Roast Seasoning with a few sprigs of Rosemary and Thyme. 10 hours or so at 127 and a finish on the grill for the crust (haven't decided on which one yet - really like putting them on the Weber Charcoal Rotisserie, but something about the hole in the meat.......)

Found a local grocery store with Atomic horseradish. :thumb:

See how it turns out at around 7:30 or 8.....

You don't want to go over 4 hours with anything under 130 degrees. Anything longer than that is a bad idea from everything I've read. Hope you didn't get sick. 130/131 for any long cooks.

I finally made 72 hr Beef Short Ribs... came out AMAZING.

side was Sous Vide glazed carrots

made some yukon gold smashers & nice shallot beef stock pan sauce to drizzle over...

I was worried when i took the ribs out & cut open bags, as there was a bit of a "funky" odor to them (I don't have a vacuum sealer (yet), so i probably left a little too much air in bag or something...) but after resting a bit, i flash fried em in oil @ hi heat, and they were deelish. My daughter licked her plate, and then asked to lick mine too... :)

We've had a Sous-Vide Magic 1500D for a couple years now, but had to jump on the Anova deal, couldn't resist. Also, the Anova is nice and compact, the Sous-Vide Magic is a bit clunky.

Our setup included a 4-gallon Cambro with lid. It worked, but was VERY inefficient due to heat loss. So with the new Anova, I thought billyc1030's cooler mod was genius (his mod is shown on page 2, post #25 on this now monster thread), so I ditched the Cambro & bought a Coleman Excursion cooler. 4 gallon capacity, and shorter/stumpier than other coolers of similar size. Pic 'borrowed' from Amazon:

Coleman_zpsjdslj2ik.jpg

For convenience, you need to remove the lid's hinges so the lid comes completely off. Billyc cut off the hinges with a serrated knife, worked for me as well:

1_zpssfsahddc.jpg

The hinges are thin plastic, hollow, stubby nubby things, was very easy to slice through.

2_zpsjurz30jz.jpg

Only one hinge needs removed, so I left the other as is:

3_zpsyormynmu.jpg

Next, I used a hole saw to bore a 2 3/4" hole thru the lid:

4_zpsmnjukgvt.jpg

Slide the Anova in, done!

5_zpspljjbhxz.jpg

I really want to do something like that, but I would have to buy a hole saw first :-D I could probably use a hack saw to cut a slot for the Anova.

Either way it will have to wait until I can use my right hand again. I'm bad enough with power tools and sharp objects at full capacity. Left handed would only cause more problems :becky:

Salmon with a "medium-cooked" egg...Salmon done with EVOO and Thai seasoning and a squeeze of lime juice...cooked at 128 for 30 minutes....then cranked it up to 167 and did eggs for 15 minutes....topped with some sweet peppers done in a chipotle oil...really happy with results...salmon was super moist and egg was custard-like...

Back