Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

Cooked some left over comp thighs yesterday.

Sous Vide Chicken Thighs

Cooked at 150 for 4.5hrs.
Dried them off
Browned them in ghee for about 3min a side.
Seasoned them with Salt, Pepper, and Granulated Garlic.

My daughter at 4 of them.

Chicken.jpg

How was the chicken compared to normal grilled thighs? thighs already come out so tender/juicy everytime so I haven't tried sous vide. What did you think? Is it worth doing?

The chicken was more like fried chicken rather than grilled. It was very tender and skin was completely rendered.

The cool part is taking it out of the bag and having juicy fried chicken in 10 min. I would say this dish was more of a convenience than a better product.

Cheers,
Nate

One of these days mine will get here I ordered one weeks ago and it got lost They finally issued me a new one

Boneless Turkey breast cutlets

Oakridge BBQ Game Changer brined Pork Tenderloin

Homemade Andouille sausage links

Leftover Brisket Point cubes

All but the brisket had been Sous Vide previously and chilled. Set in the bath for 1 hour at 145*

Seared turkey, loin and links on a CI pan

Reduced the brisket jus, added butter and poured over cubes.

All everybody said was, "Why didn't you cook more!"

Leftovers never tasted so gooood!

So this method of Tri-Tip in the Sous Vide is flawless. I did 135 degrees for 3.5 hours after is was in Moore's Original Marinade for 2 hours, added a little smoked beef tallow to the cast iron, got it piping hot, patted the tri-tip, seasoned with SPOG, and seared the bejesus of it (Ron's Favorite Cooking Term :-D). That tri-tip was OUTSTANDING!

So this method of Tri-Tip in the Sous Vide is flawless. I did 135 degrees for 3.5 hours after is was in Moore's Original Marinade for 2 hours, added a little smoked beef tallow to the cast iron, got it piping hot, patted the tri-tip, seasoned with SPOG, and seared the bejesus of it (Ron's Favorite Cooking Term :-D). That tri-tip was OUTSTANDING!

I love it when you talk technical! :thumb: :-D

Did you keep it in the marinade while it was in the bath?

I first should have mentioned that I did use the Jaccard on it 5-6 times to penetrate that marinade a little deeper. After it was marinated, I patted it dry, placed a tablespoon or 2 of butter in the bag, sealed it up, and let the magic machine do it's work.

I first should have mentioned that I did use the Jaccard on it 5-6 times to penetrate that marinade a little deeper. After it was marinated, I patted it dry, placed a tablespoon or 2 of butter in the bag, sealed it up, and let the magic machine do it's work.

I'll have to give this a shot!

Are you still coming to the gathering on the 19th?

Mrs. hasn't given me the ok. I have a potential 3 day cook this weekend, Sam's in Auburn Hills next weekend, and a burger battle the following weekend. She's forgiving and one of the best wives a man could ask for, but I also enjoy sleeping with both eyes closed. Looking more along the lines of a no for me, but you never know how the day ends.

Mrs. hasn't given me the ok. I have a potential 3 day cook this weekend, Sam's in Auburn Hills next weekend, and a burger battle the following weekend. She's forgiving and one of the best wives a man could ask for, but I also enjoy sleeping with both eyes closed. Looking more along the lines of a no for me, but you never know how the day ends.

Bring her with!

That's it!!! Gotta get one!!!

Ooops...I already have one....guess I just found another use for it.

Did a big strip steak last night, wife and I shared it. Also sous vided 2 russet potatoes with butter added, then when they were done, mashed em up with sour cream, cheese, bacon bits and scallions to make twice baked potatoes. Steaks were finished in cast iron skillet with some olive oil, came out with a perfect sear and hardly any grey ring around the meat.

Last edited:
We've had a Sous-Vide Magic 1500D for a couple years now, but had to jump on the Anova deal, couldn't resist. Also, the Anova is nice and compact, the Sous-Vide Magic is a bit clunky.

Our setup included a 4-gallon Cambro with lid. It worked, but was VERY inefficient due to heat loss. So with the new Anova, I thought billyc1030's cooler mod was genius (his mod is shown on page 2, post #25 on this now monster thread), so I ditched the Cambro & bought a Coleman Excursion cooler. 4 gallon capacity, and shorter/stumpier than other coolers of similar size. Pic 'borrowed' from Amazon:

Coleman_zpsjdslj2ik.jpg

For convenience, you need to remove the lid's hinges so the lid comes completely off. Billyc cut off the hinges with a serrated knife, worked for me as well:

1_zpssfsahddc.jpg

The hinges are thin plastic, hollow, stubby nubby things, was very easy to slice through.

2_zpsjurz30jz.jpg

Only one hinge needs removed, so I left the other as is:

3_zpsyormynmu.jpg

Next, I used a hole saw to bore a 2 3/4" hole thru the lid:

4_zpsmnjukgvt.jpg

Slide the Anova in, done!

5_zpspljjbhxz.jpg

Interesting. I had already picked up this exact same cooler with the intent of cutting out a corner so that the Anova would fit while secured to the sidewall with the screw mechanism. Hadn't thought about just a hole saw. Is the Anova secure, or does it feel like it's going to twist?

Also, why cut the hinge? Seems like it would work just fine on the hinge (additional security - I have cats that will explore anything and everything). Maybe I'm missing something?

Finally got mine in the mail today Looking forward to using it Think I may try an Egg first-how long and at what temp and most important ? getting it out of the shell

I did an 11 hour 135* bath with a 1.3lb strip of Australian Sirloin Flap.

Cut it in half, hit them with a Jaccard and marinated them in Allegro Soy & Lime with Horseradish marinade in foodsaver bags and sealed with the Weston sealer.

Seared both sides on Grill Grates. I got a little too carried away on the grill, they were in the 140-145*, still very tender, but done more than I would have liked. The marinade was deep in the meat.

Back