Soft Shell Crabs

Mercy. That looks amazing. Soft shell crab is on my "Definitely Want To Try" list. I almost had some shipped from Maryland but the price was just insane. I haven't ruled it out though. Some day. :-D

That looks great! I like softshells but I have never had a chance to eat them at my house. That would be the best way to make them. Have you ever had a chance to grill them? I wonder how good that would be with a good rub?

I have never tried, nor had any desire to try, soft shelled crab. I didn't even register this thread in a skim earlier, but I was also working so it was seconds at best.

Jeanie, I now want to try soft shelled crab.

You'll laugh, but I was reading the captions and you said (paraphrase) "at lucky me, they were actually cleaned for me". I saw the picture, it was a picture of you holding a crab, and I said to me self: "Is that clean? What is a dirty one?"

Hell I haven't been to a proper crab boil either, and those places sprung up all over the upper midwest.

Great cook tutorial, it was a pleasure following along.

Thank you.

Those soft shells look excellent. I’m sure they were delicious.

We used to net crabs behind my grandfathers house and any soft shells were run into the house as soon as we caught them. My grandfather would make himself a fried soft shell sandwich as soon as it came in the door.

Last edited:
Damn fine! Just like my Momma would make. I remember one summer night in the early 70s when me and 10 friends picked up 200 soft shells and were frying them up at midnight.

Jeanie, I'm with everybody else in how good it looks, but it also reminded me of my trip from San Antonio to Milford, Ct to meet the soon to be in-laws. My bride took us to a local eatery and order a sandwich much like yours. Thanks for "food-porting" me back to a nice memory.

They almost killed me in Maryland one time. Now I'll have a reaction if I go near a little piece of them. Nice cook though.

My Brother in law had the same thing happen to him after a severe reaction to contrast dye during medical scan. He can’t eat crabs anymore which is a shame because he loves crabs.

Mercy. That looks amazing. Soft shell crab is on my "Definitely Want To Try" list. I almost had some shipped from Maryland but the price was just insane. I haven't ruled it out though. Some day. :-D

Thanks William! Hope you give em a try some day! :grin:

That looks great! I like softshells but I have never had a chance to eat them at my house. That would be the best way to make them. Have you ever had a chance to grill them? I wonder how good that would be with a good rub?
I haven't tried them grilled Jeremy. They are fairly .... soft? I'm not sure what word I'm trying to find to describe them. lol They might fall through the grates but I guess an expanded metal grate should keep them together. lol
I'll keep you posted if I try it! Thanks! :grin:

I have never tried, nor had any desire to try, soft shelled crab. I didn't even register this thread in a skim earlier, but I was also working so it was seconds at best.

Jeanie, I now want to try soft shelled crab.

You'll laugh, but I was reading the captions and you said (paraphrase) "at lucky me, they were actually cleaned for me". I saw the picture, it was a picture of you holding a crab, and I said to me self: "Is that clean? What is a dirty one?"

Hell I haven't been to a proper crab boil either, and those places sprung up all over the upper midwest.

Great cook tutorial, it was a pleasure following along.

Thank you.

lol Thanks so much, Bill! You usually have to trim them up a bit... remove the face and insides. Sounds terrible but when cleaned, they are all meat and so tasty! :grin:

Those soft shells look excellent. I’m sure they were delicious.

We used to net crabs behind my grandfathers house and any soft shells were run into the house as soon as we caught them. My grandfather would make himself a fried soft shell sandwich as soon as it came in the door.

Shadowdog, that would be fantastic!! I bet those fresh crab sandwiches were delicious!! Thanks so much. :grin:

Damn fine! Just like my Momma would make. I remember one summer night in the early 70s when me and 10 friends picked up 200 soft shells and were frying them up at midnight.

That sounds insane!! I would love to be able to catch them like that. :laugh:
What a great time!! On good years, I set my crawdad traps out and can catch a couple hundred in a night. Makes for and instant party! :laugh:
Thanks Biloxidman! :grin:

Jeanie, I'm with everybody else in how good it looks, but it also reminded me of my trip from San Antonio to Milford, Ct to meet the soon to be in-laws. My bride took us to a local eatery and order a sandwich much like yours. Thanks for "food-porting" me back to a nice memory.

Thanks so much! Glad it brought back good memories for you! I bet those sandwiches were delicious. :grin:

My Brother in law had the same thing happen to him after a severe reaction to contrast dye during medical scan. He can’t eat crabs anymore which is a shame because he loves crabs.

Shoot, that stinks! Sorry to hear!

Outfarkingstanding, LadyJ!!!

Thank you Chris! Nice to see ya. :grin:

Back