Chicken Chips (Chicharrones)

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jeanie
Did some pressure canning recently. I fill the quart jars half full of chicken and top it off with the stock. The ratio works out well for me for making a quick meal like chicken and noodles,( chicken and rice, tortilla soup,) etc.. Pretty much pour the jar contents into a pot to heat, add noodles and supper is ready.

hlEK5bk.jpg

NhQt0JL.jpg

76mY5OG.jpg

Sip9ECh.jpg

RO1KdFq.jpg

I dry the skins, heat up a skillet of lard and fry them til crisp.

xy4wQtz.jpg

rk00D7x.jpg

GfGtZO7.jpg

HcWSN3s.jpg

z0m2I6i.jpg

Seasoned with some of my smoked SPOG blend.

nUQ3jq3.jpg

Built a meat, onion, black bean, pepper, cotija cheese dip..

IV0l9Vy.jpg

made several layers..

fCme0Wx.jpg

emaXHQw.jpg

topped with salvadorian sour cream...home made salsa... and called er good.

NzC37Rl.jpg

spooned the "dip" onto the chicharrones, and washed it down with a cold beer.

b8DNrIH.jpg

0MulCMj.jpg

40MVnG0.jpg

I'm pretty sure I like these better than pork chicharrones. :-D

It wasn't fancy but I enjoyed the meal!
Thanks for looking!

That's a good meal to have with a cold beer! I'm digging the idea of using chicken skins as the chips. Well done!

Thanks Ron!
I like to use chicken chicharrons as topping on smoked chicken and sausage gumbo too. Heck, they just go well on top of anything. :-D

Looks killer, as usual. Nice use of the chicharrone.

Still wondering about the Salvadorian sour cream...can't find that around here. Is it similar/same as creme fraiche?

Haven't had St Pauli in decades. Will look for it.

Looks killer, as usual. Nice use of the chicharrone.

Still wondering about the Salvadorian sour cream...can't find that around here. Is it similar/same as creme fraiche?

Haven't had St Pauli in decades. Will look for it.

Thanks Erik!

I get the sour cream at one of the local hispanic grocery stores. They have a wide variety of sour cream, this one is just my favorite. It's kind of a cross between sour cream, fresh cream and butter imo. Not too twangy. :-D
If you have a Kroger in your area, they might carry it!

Edited to add... Cacique brand makes a Salvadorian sour cream. I've not tried it but it's readily available at Kroger stores. Good luck with it, Erik!

I saw that Jeanie!

I think you have more chances this week too!

BRING IT!

Great!! I had forgotten what rain smells like. lol
I hit the pasture yesterday to pick wild flowers. It was sooooo nice! :-D

Seriously righteous, I got to have some of that!
Thank you Mike!! I'd share if you lived closer! lol
Hope you're having a great weekend! :-D

I love the fried up skins like that.
If you render the fat from them, it's better than bacon grease. But they probably wouldn't fry the same then.

One question. Do you cook the chicken before canning it? And if so, are the skins still on the bird parts? OK that's two questions.

:shock: Never heard of such a thing......... Looks Tasty.!

Thanks Smitty! :-D

I love the fried up skins like that.
If you render the fat from them, it's better than bacon grease. But they probably wouldn't fry the same then.

One question. Do you cook the chicken before canning it? And if so, are the skins still on the bird parts? OK that's two questions.

Thanks Craig!
On these, I simmered whole birds, shredded the meat then canned the meat and stock. Sometimes I do the raw pack method, can the meat raw, no liquid needed.
The skins were on the birds while simmering. I like the added flavor in the stock, from the rendered fat under the skin. I dry the skins a bit before frying just to avoid the splatter. I was glad I fried these outside, they sizzled and popped quite a bit. :-D

I’d call that good too!

Thanks Mike! Hope you're having a great spring so far! :-D

Simmer chicken.
Skin chicken.
Dry chicken skin
Fry and eat chicken skin
Repeat

Where did all this chicken meat come from?

Back