So Cal Bash 2016?

Phubar, can I get the recipe for the pickled onions and cucumber.

-red onions
-cucumber
-salt
-sugar
-vinigar

Cut red onion and cucumber into thin slices and mix it in a container.
Add about 50/50 sugar and salt.
Pour a good splash of vinigar all over it.
Give it a good toss so that everything is coated.
Let it sit in the Phridge for a couple of hours (best is overnight) and toss it it once a hour or so.

Hope you have enough info bro!

-red onions
-cucumber
-salt
-sugar
-vinigar

Cut red onion and cucumber into thin slices and mix it in a container.
Add about 50/50 sugar and salt.
Pour a good splash of vinigar all over it.
Give it a good toss so that everything is coated.
Let it sit in the Phridge for a couple of hours (best is overnight) and toss it it once a hour or so.

Hope you have enough info bro!
If you need more precision, this is the one I grew up eating.

Pickled cucumber and onions

2 cucumbers, sliced

1/4 cup sliced sweet onion

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon celery seed

I tend to slice the onion, then slice enough cukes for it to look right.

Yup - pretty much what they said.

I gotta say I do miss the smoke flavor, but I also do like the skin on a rotis. Cowgirl gave me the idea of enclosing the space and trapping the smoke, so I'm gonna try that. I also wanna make a burn barrel and cook with wood burned down to coals.

Also there's a lower finish temp on a rotis, 'cause if you go all the way to pulling temps the pig will just fall into the fire :shocked: It was already starting to come apart in a couple spots when we pulled it off, but as Marty said, the hams weren't all the way to pulling temps - still tasty though! I was also seeing a little fat for the first time on a whole pig. In the smoker, it's all rendered - on the rotis, some of it is still kind of at the gel stage. The cheeks are always great, but just farking batty good on the rotis pig.

And, again, like Marty said, watching an animal spin is kinda mesmerizing. It's like staring at a fire or an ocean. It really works for me.

Your whole weekend looked awesome Greg!!

When I mentioned the t posts and roofing tin, this is what I meant. Use your rotisserie set up, enclose three sides with the tin. (3 sheets of tin, 4 t-posts) I use baling wire to attach the tin to t-posts in the corners.
Then use wood coals or add wood chunks. No need to cover the top or use cinderblocks.

a8a34b8f-d59a-4164-94c9-2ab825e9b7b0_zpsqndbjknx.jpg

I couldn't fine my pics of the set up but found this one.. it's similar as far as the tin goes.
You just shovel hot coals where you want em.

Hope you guys have a great weekend. Wish I could be there.

^^^Love that! I think we already have some roofing tin laying around. Thanks for yet another great tip Jeanie!

Crispy skin...smoke flavor...the joy of watching a pig spin...I want it all! :hungry:

btw worth mentioning I used "Sweet Brine O Mine" to inject and I really like the results of that.

And yeah, the whole weekend was completely awesome from beginning to end!

Back