THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

souroull

Knows what a fatty is.
In the middle of a few test runs running lump using the snake method on the kettle to maintain low temps.

So far so good maintaining 250 for a few hours with the lower vents open just a hair or two and the exhaust about half, however noticing quite a bit of lump never ignites as the fire progresses towards the end of the snake.

On my 3rd run now with practically no need to adjust/chase the fire despite deliberately using pieces of varying size and shape, but i seem to always end up with about 1/4-1/3 of the lump not igniting at all, with some of the pieces although moderately ashed over, it's as if they cooled down way before they had a chance to fully ignite/burn.

Any similar experiences, ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.

I pretty much always used briquettes in my kettle running a snake. Seemed to burn a little more evenly. That said, sometimes a briquette or two would burn or burn fully. I think it is just the nature of the beast.

I think that briquettes have lump beat if it comes to building a snake. The consistency of size and shape lend themselves better to that task, IMO.

I guess if you took your lump piece and broke them down so they'd stack or nestle together better, it might work out.

I think more testing is in order- and if food is cooked and beverages consumed in said tests- well...that's a good thing.

Back