Inaugural Cook on the LSG Verital Offset - Direct Heat Chicken Thighs

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
So!

It was a beautiful day to be outside and mess around with fire yesterday. Decided this week that I wanted to do a direct heat cook with my new LSG. So, I fired her up and threw a bunch of coals and odd shaped splits that I wasn't planning on using, just to see how she behaves and all that stuff. Yanked out the divider plate between firebox and warmer (HEAVY BTW). Plus, call me weird, but I felt obligated to do my own "burn out" even though it's seasoned.

Anyway, I have been seeing lately this trend of using pickle juice as a brine for chicken. We make pickles at home, and buy them all the time. So for a few weeks, I've been saving the jars in the fridge. Between the store bought and our own, we had enough to submerge 9 chicken thighs. Sadly not pictured, but it's chicken in green liquid...use your imagination :laugh:

Side note, I used my SV (set to 32F) and ran it for 20 minutes to defrost the chicken, as they were not fully defrosted. Holy moly, that really works. Not sure for other sizes and cuts, but I was impressed by the science of circulation.

Another side note: HOLY CHIT 1/2" still is heavy! lol. I was taken aback with the sheer weight of the firebox grate, ash pan, and fire basket. Nothing I couldn't handle, but I'm not slinging 1/4" 1/2" steel all day either.

Okay, so after a 8ish hour brine, I pulled them out, patted them dry...and added a little SPG and paprika for color. Didn't want to go too heavy on the salt.
53507719150_a7380cc940_b.jpg

On to the bottom rack of the warmer they go! Earlier, I calculated that the thermometer on the door is roughly 50F cooler than the rack I was using. So I was trying to cook between 275-300 the whole cook. I think I went a tad over, but meh...stopped caring about that kind of stuff a while ago.
53507719220_21cb2e59e1_b.jpg

I went skin side UP for the first 30 minutes...I think next time I will just do 45-60 minutes, but it got some color and so I flipped
53507451223_e560eb5999_b.jpg

Like I mentioned before, it was a beautiful day, so beer, BBQ, music and sports were on my agenda. Couldn't think of anything better to do than drink some beer, cook some food, watch some racing, and listen to an assortment of classic rock
53507719110_1f335f42b0_b.jpg

So 90 minutes or so later, they were done! I discovered I have a hot zone towards the back, which makes sense. Will need to rotate next time to even out the cooking. Temp-wise they were reading between 180-195.
53507451248_afdde882dd_b.jpg

Crispy Skin? Check Tender meat? Check Pickle taste? Check. Was surprised how much pickle taste comes out of these, but OMG they were freakin DELICIOUS!
53507451273_ae73a4821d_b.jpg

All in all, this was a successful cook! My LSG behaved VERY well and very predictable. Noted some things for the future cooks. I barely touched the thing. I made 9 thighs for 3 adults and 3 kids...all gone. All told me this is a "make again" meal. I will take that!
53507719135_d21262dce6_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Lovely!! Way to break her in Adam. Funny thing is first cook on mine was also direct heat in the oven. :-D

Lovely!! Way to break her in Adam. Funny thing is first cook on mine was also direct heat in the oven. :-D

The "big sell" for me was the possibility of direct heat cooking. Been wanting one of those types for a while now...but also wanted an offset. Win/win!

Thighs look really good. Glad it went well for you. Do the biscuit test for your hot spots.

I plan on doing that in the main chamber.

I suppose you could say I did a chicken test in the warmer for hot spots :laugh:

Very impressive Adam.

I hope I get there one day and we can have sports (Cricket and Baseball), beer, music, some pickled chicken and nice weather!

Cheers!

Bill

Congrats on your first cook. Looks and sounds fantastic. I did a buch of thighs on my Large BGE last night. Used a brine by thirdeye. Also turned out good- so said my wife

Great chicken cook, Adam.

Do you think the hot spot was mainly due to your fire/coal placement or is it always hotter in the back from the radiant heat coming off the back of the oven?

Great chicken cook, Adam.

Do you think the hot spot was mainly due to your fire/coal placement or is it always hotter in the back from the radiant heat coming off the back of the oven?

Thanks!

if I were to guess, it was me pushing the coals all the to the back of the basket to bunch them up so to speak. Next time I will try and center it better. It also could've used a larger coal bed. I used fogo lump and maybe a few large pieces got in the charcoal chimney.

That does look amazing. I do not mean to criticize, but if it were me, I think I would have spent a little more time on the bones on that plate. It looks too good to leave those last small pieces of meat. :laugh: Congratulations on the new smoker!

Back