Gas assist to the rescue!

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
I was cooking a chicken on the rotisserie yesterday using royal oak lump for the first time. I was trying to ride it out to the end on the original coals like I can using Kingsford charcoal but the temps were dropping lower than I wanted near the end of the cook. Opening the lid to throw more lump on would have really cooled things and there would have been a delay before the temps increased.

I tried turning the gas assist on and the temps came right up to 350°f. I shut it off and wound up having to turn it back for the last few minutes of the cook.

I never thought of this until yesterday but it is a good way to go that last 15 minutes without adding coals. I do keep a throwaway pan under the chicken with beer and water in it. No photo of the chicken.:doh: the reason I'm trying royal oak is because I’ve had my second bad bag of Kingsford that left a funky taste on what I was cooking.

IMG-0967.png

Nice, is it the gas assist grill from Sam's Club?

No, it’s the gas assist on my Weber performer that is normally used to light the charcoals at the beginning of the cook.

I bought some jealous devil briquettes for my next chicken and hopefully they will get me through to the end of the cook like the Kingsford did.

Back