Snake method using lump on the kettle. Unburnt fuel?

souroull

Knows what a fatty is.
In the middle of a few test runs running lump using the snake method on the kettle to maintain low temps.

So far so good maintaining 250 for a few hours with the lower vents open just a hair or two and the exhaust about half, however noticing quite a bit of lump never ignites as the fire progresses towards the end of the snake.

On my 3rd run now with practically no need to adjust/chase the fire despite deliberately using pieces of varying size and shape, but i seem to always end up with about 1/4-1/3 of the lump not igniting at all, with some of the pieces although moderately ashed over, it's as if they cooled down way before they had a chance to fully ignite/burn.

Any similar experiences, ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.

I pretty much always used briquettes in my kettle running a snake. Seemed to burn a little more evenly. That said, sometimes a briquette or two would burn or burn fully. I think it is just the nature of the beast.

I think that briquettes have lump beat if it comes to building a snake. The consistency of size and shape lend themselves better to that task, IMO.

I guess if you took your lump piece and broke them down so they'd stack or nestle together better, it might work out.

I think more testing is in order- and if food is cooked and beverages consumed in said tests- well...that's a good thing.

Back