Small whole brisket

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqEKO-Sk3wc"]Cutting against the grain and on a bias - new and improved video - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIkxG-3p8y8"]How To Cut Meat Against The Grain | Cooking Light - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks guys for the replies. I do know to slice against the grain, I just had a few too many beers and misunderstood. When I looked back at the pictures today I noticed the grain. I was not in the best state of mind. After resting in the cooler for 2 hours I was ready to eat and didn't pay attention and just sliced it up. My wife was out of town so I hit it harder than usual. :oops:

I do have a question. This is my first time not wrapping and it was a little too smoky for my taste. I stopped adding pecan chunks about 4 hours into about 7 hours on the Kettle. I only used about 4 or 5 small-medium chunks and also used Kingsford Competition briquettes. Do you think it was the not wrapping or the smoking on the Weber Kettle, which I don't normally do and have never done a brisket on one that I can think of? The whole brisket was only 7 lbs

Thanks guys for the replies. I do know to slice against the grain, I just had a few too many beers and misunderstood. When I looked back at the pictures today I noticed the grain. I was not in the best state of mind. After resting in the cooler for 2 hours I was ready to eat and didn't pay attention and just sliced it up. My wife was out of town so I hit it harder than usual. :oops:

I do have a question. This is my first time not wrapping and it was a little too smoky for my taste. I stopped adding pecan chunks about 4 hours into about 7 hours on the Kettle. I only used about 4 or 5 small-medium chunks and also used Kingsford Competition briquettes. Do you think it was the not wrapping or the smoking on the Weber Kettle, which I don't normally do and have never done a brisket on one that I can think of? The whole brisket was only 7 lbs

Definitely not wrapping added to the extra smokiness. Aaron Franklin did a brisket wrap video and the comments from him and John Markus was the unwrapped brisket was more smokey since it had no barrier to protest it from the smoke. Butcher paper will help some, while foil will block most smoke and just turbo cook the brisket (kinda). BP seems to be the happy medium for most folks. At least in Texas...

Looked moist and very tasty.:clap:

Don't worry about the cut mistake, I've done that several times. I try and remember to 'notch' the meat against the grain before I put the rub on. It can be a little difficult determining grain after the cook. :-D

When you put on new wood, did you get a bunch of white smoke?. I used to struggle with that with my electric. I'm using a Kamado now so it's just too difficult to add wood during a very long cook so I don't. :loco:

Beer Goggles - Not just Farking Guys in Bars........

2eafqukl.png

OK...so tell me what I should have done. Do I slice it long ways? It sliced very easy and was tender. Not being confrontational, just asking to learn. I've done a quite few briskets in my day, but always open to suggestions. :confused:

You need to take note before adding a rub which way the grain is running And cut across it, not with it. (thats what you dun) Some will cut a small slice off the edge for reference.

Also, you let too much fat/juices pool up which definitely affected bark formation. With a small brisket like that, i would have put it into a rib rack so it was vertical.

Seems to me if the finished product is tender and tastes good then you've had a successful day. Have another beer and eat up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back