let's cook...a brisket

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I was feeling my old self yesterday and did some cooking and even took a few pictures.

the other day :becky: told me we had a Sam's club membership because they gave it so cheap. I decided to go check them out. I always preferred Costco bit there I was. the only positive of Sam's is there are less people. what is really annoying is the sales people pitching you for more crap. I'm at a warehouse store...I'm already buying a ton of unnecessary stuff. sure you save money buying in bulk but then you see a giant inflatable water slide and poof your at $600 for quick trip to pick up a brisket and 96 rolls TP for the wife

I did mention the reason for the trip was I'm fixing brisket? I've never been a fan of exel brand beef but it is prime grade. I also grabbed a cooks snack for later.

so I got everything I need...except wood chunks. so back to the store. now we're ready. my usual trim. ⅛ fat cap, round out the edges and dig out some deeper pockets of fat. I went with a base layer of lawrys and a top coat of Q-salt. I've settled in to that as my goto brisket combo

I threw the brisket on my drum around 9pm. a thunder storm came through just as I did but my old rusty drum doesn't mind

I also had the put boss fired up for some t bone lamb chops

and now we wait. once the drum is dialed in it coasts all night. I trust this cooker more than any pellet grill or controller fan that's for sure. I flip to fat cap up after 3 hours and once more a few hours later. after about 10 hours the brisket is close to done @ around 190°. I brought it in and wrapped in butcher paper with a little tallow...did I mention I made tallow with the trimmings? just chopped them up and put em in a crock pot. I never got into the whole tallow wrap thing but figured I'd give it a try.

so now she's off into the turkey roaster at 200 to finish and then at 150 to hold until lunch time.

see you at lunch. I gotta go it's almost time to make pancakes with willow

Now those are the kind of cooks I remember seeing you posting, and it just makes me feel like everything's right with the world to see that. That looks fantastic so far! Tell Willow hello and to save me a pancake.

Now those are the kind of cooks I remember seeing you posting, and it just makes me feel like everything's right with the world to see that. That looks fantastic so far! Tell Willow hello and to save me a pancake.

yea I was feeling yesterday. I even sharpened my knives.

willow has been watch Grimm fairytales. she asked...or rather demanded that I make Hansel and Greatel, the old lady, her gingerbread house and an oven. did I mention we are low on produce? this is what she got.

brisket tempted out at 194 and has been resting in the roaster. I'm about to rest myself.

we have not had water slide weather lately.

lunch got delayed due to an incident involving a bookcase and a 4 year old who was trying to help. that's what's great about holding bbq. it was ready when I wanted it to be. I also didn't have to spend the day cooking.

so I mixed up some reserve juices, beef broth and this mop as a sauce for the brisket.

the finished brisket. bark looked good

the first slices could barely pass a bend test. it got better as I moved in.

my favorite part of a brisket

a tray of leftovers to use this week. maybe brisket enchiladas and chopped into a cheese steak.

thanks for looking:yo:

Everything looks awesome!

I too have been veering away from controllers and fans. Just letting the smoker do what it's supposed to has been as worry free for me compared to my oddball fan issue. Back to basics approach.

thank you all for the kind words

so yesterday was brisket tacos with pico and a queso sauce. tonight :becky: fixed up a pot of brisket chili.

in a way I enjoy the leftover dishes more. don't get me wrong I love a platter of sliced brisket but after a plate or two I'm ready for more variety.

Back