"Texas Crutch" questions?

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi everyone.

With the Super Bowl coming up soon, I was thinking of smoking a small brisket, and I had a few questions about the "Texas Crutch".

My setup is simple. I'm using a Weber Smokey Mountain, the "Minion Method", and a Pitmaster IQ for thermal control.

It'll probably be a smaller brisket, or one of those where you can buy a pre-trimmed "flat" or "point", because it's only going to be 3 of us.

The problem I've had in the past is that the bark on my brisket is too tough, so I decided to give the Texas Crutch a try.

So I have some questions:

1. Do I need to use a little extra wood?

2. At what temperature do I need to wrap? I've seen people say at 150-170. I've also heard people say "wrap at the stall", but that's sometimes difficult to predict.

3. I saw a video where a guy wrapped his brisket in butcher paper, but also put some beef tallow in when he did. I thought about that until I saw the price of beef tallow. However, butter was suggested to me. Would that work? If so, how much should I use?

4. I usually try to smoke at 225 to 250. I've heard some people will go up to 275. Aside from cook time, does that extra 25 degrees make a difference?

5. Rubs. I usually keep it simple. I'll either use something like Montreal Steak Seasoning or a basic salt and pepper rub. Any thoughts here?

6. Butcher paper vs foil? I've seen both. I have butcher paper that I was thinking of trying.

Last edited:
1 - Not really and once wrapped your not taking on smoke anyway.
2 - Typically you wrap through the stall so I'd say closer to 170. With a smaller piece especially if it's a flat this may not be relevant and you may not want to wrap at all.
3 - I wouldn't as I think it would change the flavor and color but likely not in a bad way so feel free to give it a go. That said I've not noticed a big difference in tallow or non that I decided was worth it to go that route.
4 - Me too - you can do it at many temps above those as well (many do) the product texture and tenderness changes. Experiment and find your preference. Me I like your range.
5 - Experiment. I loved the black ops brisket rub but they aren't in business anymore (probably can see the ingredients anyway)
6 - Foil will contain moisture better w/ no liquid escape where butcher paper lets some seep through. I used to do foil on my WSM, the new smoker I don't wrap at all. I'll leave the comparison to others but my take is use what you have if choosing to wrap.

• Thanks
Reactions: mjr
1 - Not really and once wrapped your not taking on smoke anyway.
2 - Typically you wrap through the stall so I'd say closer to 170. With a smaller piece especially if it's a flat this may not be relevant and you may not want to wrap at all.
3 - I wouldn't as I think it would change the flavor and color but likely not in a bad way so feel free to give it a go. That said I've not noticed a big difference in tallow or non that I decided was worth it to go that route.
4 - Me too - you can do it at many temps above those as well (many do) the product texture and tenderness changes. Experiment and find your preference. Me I like your range.
5 - Experiment. I loved the black ops brisket rub but they aren't in business anymore (probably can see the ingredients anyway)
6 - Foil will contain moisture better w/ no liquid escape where butcher paper lets some seep through. I used to do foil on my WSM, the new smoker I don't wrap at all. I'll leave the comparison to others but my take is use what you have if choosing to wrap.

Regarding #2 above, does wrapping the flat help any as far as tenderness (i.e. the "pull test") or juiciness?

Regarding #6, what's the bark difference in foil vs butcher paper? I assume it's mostly preference, but I'm wondering.

I can't say on a point or flat as I've only done full packers. But typically I wrap when the bark is where I want. That usually is close to the stall, for me about 165. I like to use butcher paper to keep the bark from getting too soggy.

Regarding tallow, if you do trim fat off the brisket, just put it in a foil pan on the smoker while you cook the meat. When it's time to wrap a bunch of the fat will have rendered to liquid and you have free smoked tallow.

Recommend the following:

1) Salt/pepper/ and some seasoning like garlic powder or lawry's.
2) Cook 250-275 until bark is set and fat cap is squishy when you push it (likely around 175 deg or so).
3) At that point wrap in butcher paper. Add a bit of tallow if you like.*
4) Generally when you hit 200 start probing for tenderness. Use an instant thermometer or similar probe. Push through the butcher paper and into the meat. Is should be effortless in the meat. Like going though a jar of jelly. When it feels like that (Usually between 200-204ish) it's ready.
5) Pull off smoker, open top of butcher paper so it can begin to cool on your countertop.
6) When it hits 150 slice and serve. Figure about 2hrs for full packer to cool. Maybe an hr or less if just the flat.

*Tallow is free. Take some of the trimmed brisket fat, cube into 1" chunks, put in cheap metal pan, throw on the smoker. Fat will melt and liquid created. Just don't let left over fat bits get black and crispy or will impart bad flavor. You now have smoked beef tallow. Will last in the fridge for a year.

My thoughts on your questions.

I'd suggest a small packer brisket rather than a pre trimmed piece.

#1 No need for extra wood

#2 Wrap based on color and the fat cap pliable but i'd say temp is probably 170 - 175 when that happens

#3 I've never tried butter. If you want to try tallow you can render your own from fat trimmings but i don't think the tallow is needed.

#4 I would start at the 225-250 and keep an eye that the brisket isn't getting crispy. If you are trying to make sure the bark isn't tough I'd want to make sure the brisket isn't getting charred.

#5 I would keep it simple salt and pepper. Eliminate other spices that could burn this time to be sure the rest of the process is getting you the bark you are happy with.

#6 Paper wrap is usually softer than no wrap but not as soft as foil. No right or wrong between them just different preferences. Whatever you wrap with just make sure it's tight on the meat.

• Thanks
Reactions: mjr
ljYVRNb.jpg

Hail to Paul Kirk.....

Skip the small brisket, go big.

Wrap on color.

Pull on tenderness.

I'd start with a foil wrap, it just works.

Rest for as long as you can.

Always wrap. But run dry and hot and probe till it reaches 155F ( that's when your going to start losing moisture internally). Hopefully by then your bark has set and you can wrap and run low n slow till you reach target temp. Target temp depends on time, but i wont get into that. Just follow the cave man 205F recommendation.

ljYVRNb.jpg

Hail to Paul Kirk.....

Skip the small brisket, go big.

Wrap on color.

Pull on tenderness.

I'd start with a foil wrap, it just works.

Rest for as long as you can.

A big one won't fit ("That's what she said!!")

I have the mid-sized Weber Smokey Mountain. Two racks of ribs will barely fit on it. And there's only 3 of us in my family.

A big one won't fit ("That's what she said!!")

I have the mid-sized Weber Smokey Mountain. Two racks of ribs will barely fit on it. And there's only 3 of us in my family.

I had an 18.5" WSM and fit 20-25 lb. briskets on it regularly.

You can use a small stainless bowl in the middle and lay it over it.

I've also seen foil wrapped bricks, blocks of wood and balls of foil.

You can make it work!

I had an 18.5" WSM and fit 20-25 lb. briskets on it regularly.

You can use a small stainless bowl in the middle and lay it over it.

I've also seen foil wrapped bricks, blocks of wood and balls of foil.

You can make it work!

Thing is, I don't NEED briskets that size. There's just 3 of us, and I usually don't cook for large groups.

I do want to thank everyone for their tips! I'm going to try a few and report back after I do.

And also, thanks to everyone for suggesting that I just trim fat and use that as my own tallow. Don't know why that didn't occur to me.

I have the 18" WSM and my solution for cooking larger sized briskets is to separate the flat and the point and cook them separately.

I could. That would take longer though, wouldn't it? I mean, I'm ok with it, but my wife's not comfortable with smoking things overnight.

I usually like to start first thing when I wake up, but even cooking in two pieces seems like it would still take the time it would if I cooked a large brisket by itself.

In other words, cutting an 11 pound brisket in half and cooking the two pieces together won't cut the cooking time in half. At least as far as I know.

I could. That would take longer though, wouldn't it? I mean, I'm ok with it, but my wife's not comfortable with smoking things overnight.

I usually like to start first thing when I wake up, but even cooking in two pieces seems like it would still take the time it would if I cooked a large brisket by itself.

In other words, cutting an 11 pound brisket in half and cooking the two pieces together won't cut the cooking time in half. At least as far as I know.

I am not trying to be smart here but you don't have to cook both the separated point and flat at the same time. You can freeze one for later use.

My experiences are the two parts cook quicker because there is less mass in the two cuts to heat up as opposed to the original cut. I do know this for certain. The separated point and flat have a greater surface area than the original packer which means the two pieces will have more bark than the whole packer.

I buy the bigger briskets so I can get a flat that is pretty much uniform in thickness from one end of the flat to the other. On the smaller briskets that are sold in the retail stores in my area, most of the smaller briskets have flats that are thick under the point and very thin on the other end of the brisket. If you buy a bigger brisket, you should get a flat that is less likely to be thin on one end of the brisket.

Most of the point that I cook is used for either burnt ends, chili meat or BBQed beans. The flat is used for sandwiches. I hope some of this helps.

Lager,

Juggy

Juggy is right.
The total amount of meat in the cooker is less important than the size of the largest piece. I.E two 5lb pieces generally cook faster than one 10lb piece will.

I prefer butcher paper over foil for wrapping briskets (and i always wrap).

Back