New Stick Burner

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
I have finally retired and have time to use a real smoker. Don't mean to step on any toes but for me nothing beats the flavor that comes from a totally wood fired smoker. I have had a Stump Classic gravity smoker which I loved, but it was too big. Then I did a lot of reading (here) about the best pellet smoker in my desired price range, and got a MAC One Star General which I still have and love. However, my wife and I went to an event that had food venders. She had brisket from one of them and said the words that I never thought I would hear: "This is the best brisket I have ever tasted". I was devastated!!! I prided myself for my brisket. I tasted it and she was right. It was fantastic. It was unmistakably cooked on a stick burner.

The next day I started looking and found a guy selling a Fat Daddy Titan offset, reverse flow smoker that he quickly out grew with his Q catering business. He said with the included CyberQ that he got for it, it was $3200.00. He was asking $1600.00. But it was going to be over an eight hour round trip. That was too far for me but I took a shot. I told him about the drive and apologized for the lowball number and asked if he would do $1,000.00. He said no, but if you want to come all that way to get it, I take $1,100.00. So here it sits. I have done some spareribs and one brisket so far and I Love it. I cannot believe how tight it is. It is way big enough for anything I would ever do with it but still small enough where I can roll its 600 lbs. out onto our covered patio where I can back up a load of wood in the gator and smoke away. BTW, the ribs were very good, so was the brisket but I tried a different rub that is not my favorite.

I have a lot to learn and I am very busy now cutting oak and hickory to feed it with after seasoning for quite some time. I am using some ash with a little osage orange mixed in for now. I may have to break down and buy some oak and hickory which is advertised as seasoned. I don't trust it but I have a moisture meter and am very familiar with what good seasoned wood looks like, feels like, and sounds like when hit together. But smoking with ash is not my favorite, okay but not great. I sure am glad that I have enough time now to poke a fire in a good wood smoker. I am also glad to be a member of this site. I do very much love the info here. Great site with a good group of guys and ladies. You all help me so I never have to hear my good wife say those awful words again unless it is about my brisket. Thank you all and have a nice day!

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 167
  • smoker2.jpg
    smoker2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 168
  • smoker 3.jpg
    smoker 3.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 165
Fantastic story Headgear.

Very glad you like the site. I can't wait to learn form you too! Keep posting your efforts!

Cheers

Bill

Hey....congrats!!!

Can't wait to see some good food pr0n in the coming months from you using this!!
:)

cayenne

Very Nice. Congrats on the smoker. You are right this site is awesome. Looking forward to your future cooks. Hope you post often

Congrats on the new to you smoker. I love cooking on a reverse flow offset, just don't seem to have enough time lately.

Congrats!! You're definitely not stepping on anyone's toes since the general consensus here is that there is no better bbq than a stick burner bbq.

that's a helluva deal on that!!! awesome!!! I'd drive a long way for that as well!!!

#1 Congrats on retirement! And congrats on the smoker, looks like a Lot of fun in your future!

Careful with that Osage Orange. Round here we call it Hedge. It burns HOT! hotter than Mesquite. Try and tame it down and the smoke gets downright putrid.

Congrats on the good times to come.

Congrats on the new smoker, it's beautiful! You are absolutely 100% correct on the stick burner cooked food! I've done wood, charcoal, and pellets. Wood wins every time!

Thanks to all of you. I need to work on my fire management now and keep my wife from saying that someone else's brisket was better than mine. I'll get there, lol. And thanks for the heads up on the Osage. I know it is hot. I use it in our pizza oven. It is definitely hot and lasts a long time. I have had good luck with the smoke so far. I need some seasoned oak and hickory in a hurry.

Thanks to all of you. I need to work on my fire management now and keep my wife from saying that someone else's brisket was better than mine. I'll get there, lol. And thanks for the heads up on the Osage. I know it is hot. I use it in our pizza oven. It is definitely hot and lasts a long time. I have had good luck with the smoke so far. I need some seasoned oak and hickory in a hurry.

I have a vertical Lone Star offset and the shape is very similar to yours including the square firebox.

The fire basket from LSG (they have 20 or 24") make fire management super easy. It's a bargain for what LSG sells it for and highly recommend it.

https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/accessories/products/fire-managment-basket

I just bought an upgraded basket very similar to that from Tim at Fat Daddy Smokers. Using it for the first time right now. Thank you for the info.

I just bought an upgraded basket very similar to that from Tim at Fat Daddy Smokers. Using it for the first time right now. Thank you for the info.

Good to hear. Basket definitely helps with the small, hot fire needed to run an offset effectively.

Thanks, Marty, It even looks better now. Those were the only pictures I had. They were taken the day got it. I have since cleaned it up and used it serval times.

Back