Should I pull the trigger on Weber Genesis ?

Ummagumma

Got Wood.
Ever since I got my Weber 22.5" Kettle this spring, I just love grilling on it. However, every now and then I need a quick grill, or have just too much chicken and too little time, and use my old gas grill.

It's really old.. the side tray had rotten & now has a ghetto-looking half-rusted grate replacing it.. the last set of replacement burners was crappy and gives very uneven temp distribution.. so I probably should replace it.

If I buy a new grill, I want a really good one. There's a $100 off deal on Weber Genesis now in most stores, supposedly they're being discontinued. So the E310 model can now be had for $599+tax... should I pull the trigger on it ? Or will it go lower eventually ? OTOH they may run out of stock...

I am thinking of getting it at Home Depot, I believe they will refund the price if it lowers within 30 days.

On one hand, I would hate to drop six hundred on a grill that is going to be secondary for me... on another, I don't want another crappy one.

Your opinions ?

I've got a Genesis and I like it alot. I use it mainly during the week when I don't want to mess around with the Kettle. Mine seems like it's built very well. I've had it for four years now and haven't had any issues with it. Weber just makes good quality grills. Mine has the side burner on it which I use to never use but I use it all the time now.

I had a Genesis for a few years and gave it to the kids, I prefer to grill on my fire pit even though it is a pain in the arse to fire up.

I have had one for about 15 years. Still works great.
I use it just like you are saying when I don't want to fire up my BGE.
I use it in the Winter as well. It's a great product and should last a long long time.
I got the one with the side burner which I didn't think I would use but now love it.
Cooking corn on the cob etc when its hot inside, being able to cook a big steaming pot outside is a god-send.

If you want new, get the Genesis. If you are OK with used, get an older generation Genesis off CL to fix up as it will last longer

As a Pink Floyd fan YESSS!

+1

A Genny would be A Nice Pair with your 22" kettle.
sSAK1GH.jpg

Carts on the newer models tend to be more susceptible to rust over time if you aren't diligent. I'm fixing up a 2011 ep 310 right now that has rust along the bottom panel and frame members.

On the other hand, I have 2 15+ year old Genesis gold/silver C's that have sat out uncovered in the elements for most of their life and there are no signs of rust anywhere.

I don't know if this will help but I have less than $100 into this. It is a 1990ish all I did was clean and paint it I added a new therm and Ignighter and new shelf material. Weber defiantly put out quality

Personally I'd be looking for a craigslist deal. I think the restoration process would be fun. I visit the idea of dropping a chunk of change on a nice new gasser now and then but end of the day it takes 15 minutes for my lump to be roaring, or it takes 15 minutes for a gasser to be hot even if its instant ignition so I've been hesitant and am scouring CL.

Personally I'd be looking for a craigslist deal. I think the restoration process would be fun. I visit the idea of dropping a chunk of change on a nice new gasser now and then but end of the day it takes 15 minutes for my lump to be roaring, or it takes 15 minutes for a gasser to be hot even if its instant ignition so I've been hesitant and am scouring CL.

My wife will not use the charcoal, ever.

I was trying to find one on CL but people are asking exorbitant amounts for them. Like, $100 off a new price & will fight tooth and nail for every penny.

Screw it, I can actually afford one... just had hard time mentally dropping $700 on a grill.

Anyway, I found an online 10% off code for Lowe's, and ended up ordering a black (the only color available, not that I care) Genesis E330 for $666 after tax... (makes me wonder who's been whispering "get a Weber... get a Weber..." into my ear all that time...)

BTW, here's the link to the promo code site.

http://renovopower.com/lowes.html

My wife will not use the charcoal, ever.

I was trying to find one on CL but people are asking exorbitant amounts for them. Like, $100 off a new price & will fight tooth and nail for every penny.

Screw it, I can actually afford one... just had hard time mentally dropping $700 on a grill.

Anyway, I found an online 10% off code for Lowe's, and ended up ordering a black (the only color available, not that I care) Genesis E330 for $666 after tax... (makes me wonder who's been whispering "get a Weber... get a Weber..." into my ear all that time...)

Score! Can't wait to see some action shots.

I really like the fact that if something breaks ten years down the road, Weber will have parts available. Had a 2006 Genesis for many years before upgrading to a Summit. No complaints, and the Home Depot version used to come with cast iron grates which left terrific sear marks. The stainless on the Genesis side table was a little thin, but never broke so I guess it was thick enough...

Enjoy!!!

Thanks ! They called to let me know that even though their system showed the same day availability, they won't get my grill in until Tuesday. Oh well... It's not like I have nothing to grill on in the meantime ;)

I have one that's either 5 or 6 years old. Never had any trouble, I give it a thorough cleaning twice a year (pull the grates out, get down into the muck), and use it all year long. I had various other brands over the years and never had one last more than 2 or 3 years.

Keep it clean so you don't have a grease fire in it (don't ask) and it'll last for years.

Congrats! I did the exact same thing with both my kettle and WSM from Lowes.

I just replaced my 1999 version with a new Genesis. There is not a thing I would change. Heats up quickly, easy to clean, and convenient year round. I use my grill 4 or 5 nights a week. I highly recommend it and the porcelain coated cast iron are great, as long you are careful not to damage the coating.

Back