[SF] Cracked firebox/paint - need advice

Paul, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Any reasonable person knows glitches occur in the exchange of products and services. They also know that how those are dealt with is what makes the man, or company. Although nobody wants the fact that they're human displayed online, the way that you handled this turns that online display of a small glitch into a huge advertisement in favor of your top notch products and reputation.

Paul you area good man. I don't think Bri was making a gripe about the quality of the build. He loves the cooker you guys made him, and he tried to contact you. I think he was just trying to see if anybody else could give him feedback on how difficult the repair would be.

Anybody that has seen any of your posts, know that you stand behind your work and your workers. To err is human, and how you handle the errors is what defines your reputation. Everybody on this site knows that you will do everything in your power to make things right.

As for knowing the guy that made the weld. It is great to see you are going to use that as a learning experience for him. The only way to get experience is to learn by doing. You standing behind your worker and teaching him what possibly went wrong so he can learn will make him better.

Keep being yourself and standing behind your work and your workers. Your reputation isn't tarnished, but elevated by the way you have handled this.:thumb:

Thx everyone for the encouragement I know Bryan was not bashing us..as a man I gues we all have pride and to see this makes me feel terrible.. Not so much for me but for the customer.. It makes me sick for him... And the by product is I feel bad...I know it will be handled and taken care of I hate the inconvience for Bryan...then I know there is that very few that are licking there chops ... That not so much does not bothers me.... Pride is a powerful thing and will work on a mans mind.... It is that itty bitty ****ty committee in my own head I hate...you know the one that says ha ha ha!!!! The fact that people on the forum knows about this does not bother me... That fact thatvithappened does... Again pride rearing its ugly head... And there will be that very few that smile and get satisfaction out of our failures... But I guess at the end of the day that is there problem not mine... Again thx for the encouragement.....

well if the mistakes i made at work were posted on here it wouldn't be just 1 or 2 issues that i have seen over the years from SF. it would probably SPAM you guys to death.:shock:

Holy moly! I made the post simply find out what it could be. I'd emailed Paul and texted Tyler before making it - and honestly I thought there was a chance they were on vacation, couldn't remember the timeframe in one of their recent videos.

IN NO WAY was my intent to denigrate, or defame Paul, Tyler or any of the awesome folks that built these beautiful pits. Mine is my pride and joy, it feeds a TON of active duty and retired veterans. A TON. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Tyler got back to me a few hours later, answered all my questions, offered to pay the repair cost, and kicked in a gallon of high temp paint.

Paul - I'm sorry if I've in any way offended you, and have nothing but the highest respect for you, Tyler, and the rest of the crew down there in Tuscaloosa.

I hope this clears up any ambiguity... Love the Shirley's and would buy another pit from them in a heartbeat should I find myself in need in the future.

Brian

Holy moly! I made the post simply find out what it could be. I'd emailed Paul and texted Tyler before making it - and honestly I thought there was a chance they were on vacation, couldn't remember the timeframe in one of their recent videos.

IN NO WAY was my intent to denigrate, or defame Paul, Tyler or any of the awesome folks that built these beautiful pits. Mine is my pride and joy, it feeds a TON of active duty and retired veterans. A TON. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Tyler got back to me a few hours later, answered all my questions, offered to pay the repair cost, and kicked in a gallon of high temp paint.

Paul - I'm sorry if I've in any way offended you, and have nothing but the highest respect for you, Tyler, and the rest of the crew down there in Tuscaloosa.

I hope this clears up any ambiguity... Love the Shirley's and would buy another pit from them in a heartbeat should I find myself in need in the future.

Brian

We are good Brian.... My pride is the problem....we r a ok brother....

Happy to see all are on the same page. :-D

There is no doubt in my mind if you can't find someone locally, Paul will drive up there himself and do the fix. He and his family are those kind of folks.

He's a one of a kind. The kind of feller you're happy to know. I know I am!!:thumb:

Don't know Paul or any of the Shirley folks.But all I've read on here gives me the impression that he is a God fearing,hard working,honest man. I'd be proud to have him as a neighbor.

And there will be that very few that smile and get satisfaction out of our failures... But I guess at the end of the day that is there problem not mine...

I have no doubts that you are correct Paul but just keep doing what you do... I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I've never met anyone at SF, I don't own one of your smokers, and I don't intend to. That being said, there is no doubt in my mind you guys set the bar for pride in your work, and craftsmanship...

Three words for those smile... Rain on them!

Now, put your bucket back on your melon and get to work!

bri134,

so what was the outcome of the SF repair? did you get her into a shop and back to smoking?

Oh - as a matter of fact I did. I even took pics of the work they did as I waited. I'm at work so Ill post them when I get home.

Cooked for 150 last weekend with the new welds too.

Ill throw the pics up when I get home though.

Brian

Wish I was close to your area I would come fix it for free for the simple fact of how they stand behind their products and the fact your a brother in smoke

The welder who made the repair was beyond impressed with the build quality on the smoker. After he cut out the original weld, he said (and I'm going to try to get this right) that there was no poricity in the weld or metal, so the defect was basically a complete fluke.

He took about 45 minutes to make the repair, and spent another 45 minutes admiring the cooker and asking questions.

As you can see, the welds aren't as pretty as the stacks of dimes the Shirleys lay down on these, but I'm glad to have it fixed.

The repair work pics:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 4.jpg