[SF] Cracked firebox/paint - need advice

bri134

Knows what a fatty is.
Good morning!

So I'm cooking for a retirement ceremony today for a fellow Navy Chief and I notice this on the firebox on my Shirley. Love this cooker, but beyond surprised to see this crack.

I baby the bejesus out of it - never been out in the rain beyond brief drizzles and is stored in my garage. I've only had it 7 months.

BS9j7Vo.jpg

I've contacted both Tyler and Paul, but don't recall if they're both on vacation this week.

Does anyone have experience with this? I see orange under the crack so it's probably the paint, but I'm concerned how far down it goes and what will be entailed to fix it.

Thanks much in advance!

Oh I have zero doubts about that. Just trying to do a little homework (and calm my OCD :)) on it as I doubt a trip back down to Tuscaloosa is in the cards anytime soon.

Yeah - it's the upper right outside corner edge of my firebox if you're looking at the cooker from the rear.

Been spending my day so far searching this site and looking for a good metalworker/welder in the Baltimore/DC area.

Should be a pretty easy repair - grind it open and weld it back up, so the repair shouldn't take long. Find a welder with a little time on their hands and you could be back cooking tonight! Good luck.

Looks like a welded corner that was blended and the heat cycles busted it.

Easy fix, they'll stand behind it!

Until it's fixed, smoke on!

Great to hear that it looks like an easy fix :). Really appreciate the reassurances. I'm mid cook now so after this it'll be straight to a repair shop.

I can tell you as a fabricator, the above info is correct. Classic stress point fracture due to heat cycling. Could have been from the original heat treat from the metal manufacturer. We get things like this at my shop sometimes, it's just the nature of the beast. Nothing to worry about, and totally fixable. Wherever you bring it, they will probably to a once over everywhere else just to make sure. This is why I got into metalworking, because when a wood board cracks, you're SCREWED! Haha.

glad to see you are taking this so well. i know that the Shirleys will take care of you but most guys would be flipping out. i remember a Jambo owner that had this same issue. i guess it happens.

Yep, easy fix for any good welder. drill a small hole at both ends of the crack, grind a "V", and weld up. Then paint.
I do not think that is primer your seeing, just rust. No biggie.

I sure wish you would have contacted me or Tyler 1st ... The weld was a corner to corner fit where a filet weld would have been the weld... It should have had plenty of penetration to allow the weld to be finished off with a flapper wheel or tiger paw... What happened from what I see.... Is either the weld did not have complete penetration... Or the joint was not a true corner to corner fit... That skin is 1/4 inch thick material... If the joint was preped correct there should have been not been an issue....0ne of our younger or new guy could have done it... But I assure you that we are human and are not perfect.. Saying that we would not have let it go out if there was any question about it in our minds... It is max a 1hr repair... Easily done... Any cost occured I will absolutely cover.... I just wish you had given me the opportunity to talk about this to you personally 1st because with any power in me I am going to make it right if I have to come and do it myself....TQ....

Please contact me or Tyler... I am not even sure who this is.. Thx

TQ, seems like this is a great example of standing behind your work. Like you said, no one is perfect, and I know when I see first hand a company taking care of their product, it makes me more inclined to recommend them to others.

There is no doubt in my mind if you can't find someone locally, Paul will drive up there himself and do the fix. He and his family are those kind of folks.

He's a one of a kind. The kind of feller you're happy to know. I know I am!!:thumb:

To whom it may concern..... Me and Tyler feel terrible about this.... I will say this I very recently saw this same issue... The person who built the cooker is one of the top builders in the country and his work I have always admired... The customer pointed it out to me ( the (cracked weld).. The Pit was almost new... I felt terrible for the guy who built it and I told the customer that it was not a half way done job... I did not bash the builder I just said he is human and things sometimes happen.... I do not say this to make light of the above issue...( the weld)....me and Tyler talked and I know who made the weld... He is young and darn good.. He will be sick... What we will do is show the pics to him... Tell him why we think it happens and talk about how to prevent it in the future... Beyond that there is not much we can do.. I have been under a hood for the better part of 35 years and have made plenty of mistakes myself.. Most were from inexperience....again if I can't make this right it will only be because I was not given the opportunity.... Thx guys for those who understand....

Paul, you, Tyler, and your team are all top notch, and I feel that way based off what I have seen here on this board. I can feel you beating yourself up over this. I don't think the OP came here to bash y'all, more just to ask questions. He did mention contacting y'all, I am not sure if that was an email sent or a missed voicemail. He did mention a cook he was going to do today, so he may just be out of touch for the duration. I am sure y'all will work this out to his and your own satisfaction. Go easy on yourself and your team. As you said, mistakes happen, and it will be a teaching tool for the young team member. There are bigger things in life...

Back