Advice on restoring New Braunfels smoker

JCBII

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
JC
Hi Everyone, I've been a long time lurker on this site, but haven't posted too much. I live in SoCal and all of my BBQ has been on a Weber kettle using an SNS, or WSM (18" and 22"). A friend of mine was looking for a Weber kettle because he wanted something simple to use. I ended up trading my old kettle for his New Braunfels smoker that is in need of a restoration. The first thing I plan to do is replace all the rusted out bolts with stainless steel replacements that I'll pick up at Ace Hardware. The worst rust is in the firebox but from what I can tell, it's still only surface rust so I think it will be fine once I sand it down. The charcoal and cooking grates were severely rusted so I threw them away. It looks like I can still buy replacements for those.

Questions:

How should I restore the outside surface of the firebox and cooking chamber - use high-heat paint or just spray oil to season?
I noticed the firebox is sort of tilted (see 3rd pic). Is it adjustable once I remove the bolts? (I guess this question will answer itself once I take it off :grin:)
Should I put a gasket between the firebox and cooking chamber?
Is there a way to tell what model it is? After doing some internet searching I think it's the model: 03202812 (only based on pics I've seen)
Any mods suggested? I've read a few posts about using a heat deflector, but not sure if one fits this model. Also I would be interested in buying stainless steel grates instead of the stock ones but can't find anything online that fits.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! JC

Attachments

• NB1.jpg
    NB1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 40
  • NB2.jpg
    NB2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 40
  • NB3.jpg
    NB3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 40
  • NB4.jpg