THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello Brethren,

I'm planing a men's fellowship lunch. I'm planning grilled chicken things, smoked TexMex Chili, fresh roasted molcajete salsa, poke nachos, and eltos salad. I was going to do all smoked meats but found out one only eats chicken and vegetables, and another only eats vegetables. Everyone eats cheese. I'm adding the Poke nachos as a nod to the Mexican and Polynesian local culture (North San Diego County) men in attendance. Plus I have some nice fresh fish I caught.

My question here is about elote. I've never made it but really want to. Seeing that it's December, I don't have high hopes of high quality corn on the cob. I'm guessing that frozen would be better, and a time saver. I do want to add that roasted flavor and color. I'm thinking that some wood smoke might be a nice added layer. The night before the event I'm roasting my fruits and veggies for the salsa over oak. I'm wondering if I should add a pan of frozen corn to that grill w/ a little pam butter spray so it doesn't stick.

*What are your thoughts and opinions here?
*Do you agree about using frozen corn?
*What are your thoughts on roasting over wood fire / smoke?
*Do you use chilis and onions and if so do you roast them or use them fresh for a salad crunch? I'm serving this cold side dish.
*Any other recommendations?
*I'd love to hear your recipes!

Thanks in advance!
JD

Back