New From The MSU Lab: Roasted Salsa Roja – Delicious & Easy Recipe

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
I came up with this salsa recipe as an accompaniment for crispy tacos and needed something with a lot of flavor. As time was limited, and I didn’t want to mess with a lot of ingredients, I threw this together, and it was delicious!

It’s packed full of flavor thanks to the roasted ingredients and you can make it as hot as or mild as you like. Perfect for tacos, burritos, nachos, tostadas, or just for dipping with chips.

AxDIoZQ.jpg

Ingredients:

6 Roma tomatoes, (or 4 medium regular tomatoes), cut in half lengthwise, cored and seeded
1 large jalapeño, cut in half lengthwise, cored and seeded(leave all or some seeds for a hotter salsa)
1 dried guajillo chile
2-3 large peeled cloves of garlic, or 4-5 smaller cloves
¼-1/2 cup water
Salt

Procedures:

1. Preheat oven to broil

2. Line a square or rectangular baking pan with aluminum foil, and place tomatoes in pan, skin side up. Add jalapeño slices skin side up.

3. Broil in oven till the top of peppers and tomatoes are mostly charred, then turn them over. Add garlic. Continue broiling, checking every few minutes and turning garlic so it doesn’t burn. Put cooked tomatoes and their juices and pepper and garlic into a bowl and let cool.

4. Heat a small cast iron pan or saucepan to medium heat over stove. Cut guajillo chile in 1/2 , remove stem, and shake out seeds, or leave some in for a hotter salsa. Toast chile pieces in pan turning frequently, until you smell a light fragrance,(about 30 seconds) then immediately remove chiles from pan. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

4. Place all ingredients in blender, and add ¼ cup water. Blend on medium high till smooth, about 10-15 seconds, then add remaining water, and scrape residue from sides, and blend another 10 seconds.

5. Pour mixture into bowl, and season with salt, starting with 1 teaspoon, and stir. Taste, and add more salt if needed, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours so flavors meld.

Additional Tips:

You can add an additional guajillo chile for a deeper chile flavor, or even a few chile de arbols for more heat. For a cantina style salsa, you can add a bit of chopped cilantro and onion.

Vd5CLLG.jpg

Back