I need ideas please.

You didn't mention any medication in your post. Diet alone is not the prudent way to control type 2 diabetes. You seem to be hung up on your dietary requirements. In fact you may be doing more harm than good with your diet. See a doctor that is versed in diabetes treatment. Advertised diabetes treatments are not your friend. Diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to even worse conditions. Stop trying to treat yourself and see a medical professional.

Not gonna happen.
I love foods from the South: BBQ, collard greens, grits, crawdads... but I can't do okra.

Yeah, me either really. Although my wife likes it, wanted to grow some and made me think of it.

I can eat it breaded and fried, but that’s not what yer lookin for.

You didn't mention any medication in your post. Diet alone is not the prudent way to control type 2 diabetes. You seem to be hung up on your dietary requirements. In fact you may be doing more harm than good with your diet. See a doctor that is versed in diabetes treatment. Advertised diabetes treatments are not your friend. Diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to even worse conditions. Stop trying to treat yourself and see a medical professional.
I am under the care of my doc and a diabetic educator. I am on meds, but I have anecdotal evidence they really don't do anything for me.
Besides, all I was looking for was additional low carb food ideas.

I am under the care of my doc and a diabetic educator. I am on meds, but I have anecdotal evidence they really don't do anything for me.

Yes, this was made clear in the first instance and I stress the info I've given you (and others) be weighed up with perticipation from your doctor.

Your doctor and diabetes educator will be all on board with the low carb options. They will be less happy with the thought of a Keto diet because it's not considered a line of treatment. This is because it might actually get you off all the meds and then you might not need them any more... No, they seriously are educated in the traditional medical line of thought. It's not like they are trying to keep you on meds. They just don't know that there is another way.

So be judicious about what you tell them. If you go down a very strong low carb / no carb pathway, the numbers will speak for themselves.

They will look at your Cholesterol profile, A1C, weight loss etc and scratch their heads about why the numbers are starting to look so good. They might even then discuss whether you need the insulin or not... and this is purely depending on how much of a type 1 mix you have. Clark, you may always need insulin, just not as much as before.

CHeers!

Bill

They will look at your Cholesterol profile, A1C, weight loss etc and scratch their heads about why the numbers are starting to look so good. They might even then discuss whether you need the insulin or not... and this is purely depending on how much of a type 1 mix you have. Clark, you may always need insulin, just not as much as before.

CHeers!

Bill
Not on insulin. At some point I would like to get off of the Metformin and Glipizide that I am taking currently.

What Jeremy said. You CAN eventually get off the meds (although, for other reasons, you might want to continue to take metformin...which is an entirely different discussion!).

T2D is entirely up to the individual. Decrease calories, change your diet and it's something that can be completely eliminated.

Unfortunately, some people are more sensitive to calories than others. It sucks, but that's life. I happen to be sensitive to calories. I've eaten myself into pre-T2D. I've also eaten (and exercised) my way out it (as have countless other people that have reduced their carb and calorie intake).

What works for me (YMMV):
Salads: can mix and match to your hearts content, as long as you don't toss in carb laden do-dads or salad dressings. Getting tired of whatever lettuce you're using? No problem! Add another type of lettuce or lettuce mix or mix in some arugula.

Getting tired of the same things to accompany the salads (e.g., if regularly using broccoli, switch it out with another low carb veg...green beans or cucumbers or....). Add whatever low carb protein you like to the salad...either directly on top or nearby. I enjoy cold thin sliced grilled marinated flank steak on salads. I prefer leftover rib eye served hot in a separate dish to go along with the salad. YMMV.

I also found that adding some fresh herbs (e.g., basil or cilantro or dill) can totally change the salad experience for me. Same with some fresh sliced scallion. Adding cheese helps with feelings of satiety. Again, can change up the cheese to your hearts content!

Getting sick of salad? No problem!
Grab a sheet pan and roast a couple head of broccoli or cauliflower or green beans or whatever veg you like that can handle roasting.

NOTE: I am not a huge fan of cauliflower by itself. When roasted, it's gooder. And, in the process of cooking, can add a bunch of seasoning to make it taste a lot less like cauliflower. For example: I've been enjoying a North African seasonings vibe with my roasted veggies recently. Earlier this year, I was on a more lemon-garlic kick for them. You do you!

BTW: roasting is great for meal prep. Can do shedloads at a time and have ready available good for you food to be heated up for meals, if that is something that works for you.

Cauliflower is also a great way of getting fats into the diet. If you can tolerate more fat in your diet, it's often easier to remove carbs. Most people feel more full once they get enough fat in their meals and feel less of a need to snack in between meals (or can even eliminate meals, like Bill mentions above). Unfortunately, some folks can't handle a lot of fat (even when doing a keto type diet) without having negative impacts on their lipids. Would make sense to work with your MD to see if you can tolerate more fat in your diet without negatively impacting your lipids.

How to get fat into the diet with cauliflower?
Fauxtatoes: steam a head of cauliflower till soft. Break into smaller parts and add to food processor. Process and butter + cream + salt to taste. Can be quite yummy (although do not expect it to be LIKE mashed potatoes. There is nothing like mashed potatoes.). This basic approach can be modded to include Parmesan; roasted garlic, garlic, or whatever seasonings you enjoy.

I also found a recipe that I like from a low carb cookbook: take already cooked bulk sausage (fatties to the rescue!) and dice + broken up chunks of slightly steamed cauliflower + 1 block of cream cheese + some smoked Gouda and mix. Season however you like, then toss into the oven for ~ 30 mins at 350 till cauliflower is soft. NOTE: The smoked Gouda won't melt, but it will get soft. Top with some grated Parmesan to finish under the broiler. Quite tasty!

Creamed veg. See point above about whether or not you personally can tolerate adding a bunch of fat to your diet without negatively impacting lipid profile. If you CAN, consider making creamed veg.

Process: find a veg that will work for you (e.g., spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, whatever). Sautee some diced shallot in butter, toss in the veg and cook for a bit, then add heavy cream. Cook to reduce cream by ~ half. Taste, season with salt and pepper (+/- whatever seasonings you enjoy...again, Parmesan works great here, garlic, etc.). Enjoy!

Non-veg options. Add meat!

I've done things like made "meatza"...using a combination of ground beef and bulk sausage (or just ground beef) to make a "crust" (e.g., cook the "crust", drain off the fat), then top with small amount of low carb tomato sauce and cheese + pepperoni (or whatever low carb toppings you enjoy), then bake. It's not pizza, but it's an alternative that tastes quite good, as long as you don't expect it to be like actual pizza.

There are loads of tasty ways to add veg and to remove carbs from your diet that can help get T2D under control and eventually eliminate T2D.

Good luck!
Bruce

Can you eat almond flour?

We use that quite a lot while the wife is doing the adjusted IF/Keto thing

I mix it with some no sugar rub, and bread whatever we want and fry. Breaded pork tenderloin, all sorts of chicken cuts, even breaded zucchini.

Helps mix it up a bit

Boil cauliflower until super soft. Blend with an egg, some heavy cream and some cheese until smooth. Put in baking dish and bake until top is browned a bit. This is an acceptable substitute for mashed potatoes. It’s keto, very low carb.

Sub out the egg and cream for avacado. Its very good, but green. lol

OK Clark!

I'm happy to have misread that. It means there is less need for caution and getting out of this situation is more attainable...

At risk of this turning into another "Anyone Doing Keto" Thread, I'll limit my input to your original request and see if I can help on the recipe front. I'm coming up with new things all the time.

Cheers!

Bill

Boil cauliflower until super soft. Blend with an egg, some heavy cream and some cheese until smooth. Put in baking dish and bake until top is browned a bit. This is an acceptable substitute for mashed potatoes. It’s keto, very low carb.

It's good with some added garlic too. Try some on top of shepherd's/cottage pie.

Soup I just made:

1 Leek, white part only, Chopped
4 Large Parsnips, Chopped
1 Cup Swiss Brown Mushrooms. Chopped
1 Head Cauliflower Chopped
6 Cloves Garlic
1 Can Butter Beans
2 Litres Chicken or Vegetable Stock.

S+P to taste.

If you can get this, add this too:
csm_2923_1-WED_PD_388x314_11b_RET_4f10664208.jpg

In a pressure cooker, first brown the leeks, parsnips and mushrooms with butter and EVOO. Don't get too much colour on them. Then deglaze the pan with a dash of white wine.

Add the remaining ingredients and bump up the pressure to maximum for 30 minutes.

I like my pressure cooker for intensifying the flavour, and making the vegies really soft in record time.

Allow pressure to come down. Blitz with an immersion blender till smooth.

No pics, but I served this up with deep fried shaved parsnip and some croutons of chili speck. Goes well with a fritata or a salad or both. Very low carb.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Southern Style

Yeah, me either really. Although my wife likes it, wanted to grow some and made me think of it.

I can eat it breaded and fried, but that’s not what yer lookin for.

I like to do my own southern version of okra and tomatoes...

I'll start by sautéing some andouille sausage (any good smoked link sausage will do)...and some onions. I'll throw in my chopped okra (you can start with frozen, that stuff is just great and I can't generally tell much difference from fresh)....cook that a bit and add in any seasonings you want, I often default to Tony Chacherie's creole seasoning.
That stuff is SALTY...so, I use it in place of salt...

Throw in 1-2 cans of diced tomatoes and cook till it thickens to consistancy you like...I like to get mine a little thick as that I eat it by itself in a big bowl.

You can throw other things in too if you have them...some peeled shrimp at the end....oh and do serve with some cayenne hot sauce (like Crystal or Louisiana brand...avoid Tabasco if you can).

Anyway...great way to do okra...and if you got the frozen route this is a VERY quick dish.

Cream Cheese

What Jeremy said. You CAN eventually get off the meds (although, for other reasons, you might want to continue to take metformin...which is an entirely different discussion!).

T2D is entirely up to the individual. Decrease calories, change your diet and it's something that can be completely eliminated.

Unfortunately, some people are more sensitive to calories than others. It sucks, but that's life. I happen to be sensitive to calories. I've eaten myself into pre-T2D. I've also eaten (and exercised) my way out it (as have countless other people that have reduced their carb and calorie intake).

What works for me (YMMV):
Salads: can mix and match to your hearts content, as long as you don't toss in carb laden do-dads or salad dressings. Getting tired of whatever lettuce you're using? No problem! Add another type of lettuce or lettuce mix or mix in some arugula.

Getting tired of the same things to accompany the salads (e.g., if regularly using broccoli, switch it out with another low carb veg...green beans or cucumbers or....). Add whatever low carb protein you like to the salad...either directly on top or nearby. I enjoy cold thin sliced grilled marinated flank steak on salads. I prefer leftover rib eye served hot in a separate dish to go along with the salad. YMMV.

I also found that adding some fresh herbs (e.g., basil or cilantro or dill) can totally change the salad experience for me. Same with some fresh sliced scallion. Adding cheese helps with feelings of satiety. Again, can change up the cheese to your hearts content!

Getting sick of salad? No problem!
Grab a sheet pan and roast a couple head of broccoli or cauliflower or green beans or whatever veg you like that can handle roasting.

NOTE: I am not a huge fan of cauliflower by itself. When roasted, it's gooder. And, in the process of cooking, can add a bunch of seasoning to make it taste a lot less like cauliflower. For example: I've been enjoying a North African seasonings vibe with my roasted veggies recently. Earlier this year, I was on a more lemon-garlic kick for them. You do you!

BTW: roasting is great for meal prep. Can do shedloads at a time and have ready available good for you food to be heated up for meals, if that is something that works for you.

Cauliflower is also a great way of getting fats into the diet. If you can tolerate more fat in your diet, it's often easier to remove carbs. Most people feel more full once they get enough fat in their meals and feel less of a need to snack in between meals (or can even eliminate meals, like Bill mentions above). Unfortunately, some folks can't handle a lot of fat (even when doing a keto type diet) without having negative impacts on their lipids. Would make sense to work with your MD to see if you can tolerate more fat in your diet without negatively impacting your lipids.

How to get fat into the diet with cauliflower?
Fauxtatoes: steam a head of cauliflower till soft. Break into smaller parts and add to food processor. Process and butter + cream + salt to taste. Can be quite yummy (although do not expect it to be LIKE mashed potatoes. There is nothing like mashed potatoes.). This basic approach can be modded to include Parmesan; roasted garlic, garlic, or whatever seasonings you enjoy.

I also found a recipe that I like from a low carb cookbook: take already cooked bulk sausage (fatties to the rescue!) and dice + broken up chunks of slightly steamed cauliflower + 1 block of cream cheese + some smoked Gouda and mix. Season however you like, then toss into the oven for ~ 30 mins at 350 till cauliflower is soft. NOTE: The smoked Gouda won't melt, but it will get soft. Top with some grated Parmesan to finish under the broiler. Quite tasty!

Creamed veg. See point above about whether or not you personally can tolerate adding a bunch of fat to your diet without negatively impacting lipid profile. If you CAN, consider making creamed veg.

Process: find a veg that will work for you (e.g., spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, whatever). Sautee some diced shallot in butter, toss in the veg and cook for a bit, then add heavy cream. Cook to reduce cream by ~ half. Taste, season with salt and pepper (+/- whatever seasonings you enjoy...again, Parmesan works great here, garlic, etc.). Enjoy!

Non-veg options. Add meat!

I've done things like made "meatza"...using a combination of ground beef and bulk sausage (or just ground beef) to make a "crust" (e.g., cook the "crust", drain off the fat), then top with small amount of low carb tomato sauce and cheese + pepperoni (or whatever low carb toppings you enjoy), then bake. It's not pizza, but it's an alternative that tastes quite good, as long as you don't expect it to be like actual pizza.

There are loads of tasty ways to add veg and to remove carbs from your diet that can help get T2D under control and eventually eliminate T2D.

Good luck!
Bruce

Oh thought of this when reading the faux cauliflower mashed "taters"....
I believe in what I call the "cream cheese / car bumper theory".

If you cover something with enough cream cheese....you can eat it!!
;)

But with my cauliflower mashed "faux" potatoes...I cut into flowerettes and toss with a bit of olive oil (Pure not EVOO, since Pure is 2nd pressing and more neutral in flavor)....a little salt and pepper (or Tony Chacerie's creole seasoning in lieu of salt)....and roast till lightly browned and tender.

Throw these in the food processor with a touch of heavy cream (optional), cream cheese, sour cream and some granulated garlic if you like (a little goes a long way here)....and puree it.

Adjust with salt and pepper and eat on all week as a side dish. Sometimes good with fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese.

This thing is also a basis of a really good fauxtato soup if you put most of what I listed above into a pot with chicken stock and blend till smoother....good stuff.

HTH,

cayenne

Back