THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
So yesterday I fired up the 22.5 WSM and smoked an 8 Lb. pork butt and a rack of St Louis spare ribs for some BBQ therapy and to celebrate National BBQ Day.

This was my first attempt at a hot & fast pork butt as I didn't want to wait 12 + hours and wake up at the crack of dawn to get the butt done in time for dinner. The butt was injected with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar using my new toy... a Spitjack Magnum injector (that thing is awesome!).

I had a couple issues, as it took a couple hours in to the cook to get the WSM from about 280 up to 325, but it finally settled in. I usually cook my ribs at 275 so I knew I was going to have to adjust my times and roll the dice. The smoker was loaded with Royal Oak lump, with mostly cherry wood and a little white oak for smoke flavor.

The butt hit the smoker at 10:30AM, the ribs went on at 2:30PM, and dinner was on the table at 6:00PM so not bad at all. The butt took about 5 hours total and the ribs were done in 3 and got a 30 minute rest.

I was really happy with the end result. Pics below!

Last edited:
As well as you should be of the results. Some good looking grub! I pretty much always do a hot and fast on butts and briskets anymore.

Back