Pulled Pork & St Louis Ribs for National BBQ Day

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
So yesterday I fired up the 22.5 WSM and smoked an 8 Lb. pork butt and a rack of St Louis spare ribs for some BBQ therapy and to celebrate National BBQ Day.

This was my first attempt at a hot & fast pork butt as I didn't want to wait 12 + hours and wake up at the crack of dawn to get the butt done in time for dinner. The butt was injected with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar using my new toy... a Spitjack Magnum injector (that thing is awesome!).

I had a couple issues, as it took a couple hours in to the cook to get the WSM from about 280 up to 325, but it finally settled in. I usually cook my ribs at 275 so I knew I was going to have to adjust my times and roll the dice. The smoker was loaded with Royal Oak lump, with mostly cherry wood and a little white oak for smoke flavor.

The butt hit the smoker at 10:30AM, the ribs went on at 2:30PM, and dinner was on the table at 6:00PM so not bad at all. The butt took about 5 hours total and the ribs were done in 3 and got a 30 minute rest.

I was really happy with the end result. Pics below!

Last edited:
As well as you should be of the results. Some good looking grub! I pretty much always do a hot and fast on butts and briskets anymore.

Back