Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce?

I tried two of the sauces so far. The first was fwismokers "Keith's famous sauce" and it was really good. I didn't have red pepper flakes but I did have jalapeño flakes so it was probably a little warmer ( but damn was it tasty, used it for more than just the pulled pork and can't wait to do a bigger batch).
The second sauce I made was lyu370's recipe. I followed the recipe , but did not mop any on the pork as it was cooking, just used it on the sandwiches and poured some on the pork when I put it in the fridge. It was pretty tasty as well ( my wife and inlaw's preferred this sauce. Well actually they were afraid to try the "Keith's", lol.). The next time I smoke some butts I will be mopping this sauce over it a couple of times during the cook as I think it will add a nice flavour to the bark.

I make three different sauces, ketchup molasses based, apple cider vinegar hot pepper based and the mustard onion one bellow. The mustard one has become my favorite.

Mustard Vinegar Sauce
( I use about a cup of onion instead of a quarter cup. I use a blender to combine everything until smooth.)

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ketchup based
( I never use liquid smoke and sometimes use V8 instead of tomato juice)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kathys-Award-Winning-Barbeque-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup molasses
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 (5.5 ounce) can tomato juice
2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring

Directions
In a blender or food processor, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire
sauce, molasses, brown sugar, onion, garlic powder, ground black
pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, tomato juice, and liquid smoke
flavoring.

Puree until smooth, and transfer to a saucepan.
Place saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 1
hour, or to desired thickness.

This question makes me wonder, because I always sauce after pulling and roughly chopping--and the meat does seem to be mushier when reheated. Maybe that's one reason why I can't stand to to reheat in any fashion but lightly and gingerly. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I only sauce the amount that I'm serving at a time. When folks want more, I'll sauce it and serve. That way, I can vac and freeze the leftovers and when thawed, I'll sauce and serve. Never mushy.

I'm partial to NC sauce........I have a part time catering business and actually can my own sauce......I'm working on trade marks and getting a co-packer to start bottling for grocery stores....a lot of money upfront.....with not much profit. I cannot post right now all the measurements........but I will post the ingredients......our western sauce sells the best....I have family here in nc on both sides of the state. The western sauce is a
Family recipe........you can add butter.......but I don't when canning. The mustard we use is just a dab to get the spices and tint color......not a lot of mustard at all!

Carolina BBQ Sauce (western)

apple cider vinegar
ketchup
brown sugar
mustard
molasses (could sub pancake syrup or honey)
salt
cayenne pepper or crushed pepper
black pepper

Carolina BBQ Sauce (eastern)
Apple cider vinegar
crushed red pepper
chopped fresh garlic or garlic powder
kosher salt
black powder

The mustard sauce kennyd0118 posted today is the Roxy's Mustard sauce referenced earlier in this thread. It is my standard go to for PP. I change it up though by using jalapeño mustard and a bit more sugar. It's real good on a Sammie with slaw! :thumb:

Ed

Smitty, which ones did you like best?

We've been doing the Fat Johnny's Piedmont sauce here. Good stuff.

Back