Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce?

I like to inject mine then save some of the injection to mix with the meat after its pulled. Its a mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, worchester cause, and a pinch of dry rub.

I'm not going to scroll through all the comments to check but John (SirPorkalot) had the best finishing sauce recipe I have had. I don't even experiment anymore. I've been to NC a few times and this is as close, if not spot on, to Lexington style finishing sauce that I've had outside west NC. Enjoy.
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or up to 1 tablespoon, if you like hotter sauce)
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper

I'm not going to scroll through all the comments to check but John (SirPorkalot) had the best finishing sauce recipe I have had. I don't even experiment anymore. I've been to NC a few times and this is as close, if not spot on, to Lexington style finishing sauce that I've had outside west NC. Enjoy.
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or up to 1 tablespoon, if you like hotter sauce)

I'm with you. It is the only sauce I'll put on my pulled pork. It lets the meat shine through so I can use the leftovers in any type of dish.

So I normally use some BHTR and call it a day, but I think I'll try SirPorkalot's recipe next time I do a pork butt.

However, you can use your favorite bottle/jar sauce as well and doctor it up.

Start with 3 parts sauce, 1 part vinegar and see where that gets you. If you want less "spike" on it try 4 parts sauce, 1 part vinegar. If you want more tang, go the other way with it...try 2 parts sauce, 1 part vinegar. Using a bottle/jar sauce as a base works well in a pinch or if you're making a ton!

I normally use white vinegar because it has a little "cleaner" taste (especially with a really sweet jar sauce). ACV works well with a base sauce that isn't as sweet (ala Stubbs/Heinz Pit Master sauces).

I love that this thread is still going strong... and that I still get reminders of ideas I'd long forgotten from years past.

Some serious gems in here from folks we haven't seen in a long while.

Thanks, Smitty!

Maybe not finishing sauce, but a good sauce for a sandwich with slaw is Kroger's Private Selection Carolina Inspired sauce. At $2.25 a bottle you can't go too far wrong.

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt

Is this anything similar to the ketchup glaze that’s on a perfectly cooked meatloaf? That’s something I would love in gravy form.

Old thread, but ill get in on the action.

The wife likes some sweetness in the pulled pork. Lately this is my style and we have really been enjoying it.

Basic pork rub and a brisket rub used on it at the beginning (nothing too crazy there). Smoked till i get a good set bark then put it in a aluminum pan covered in foil. Ill add a cup or 2 of apple juice in the bottom of the pan, give the meat a spritz of whatever i have been using for the cook (usually apple juice and bourbon), give it another dusting of rub, and the final step is give it a coat of STEENS SYRUP. Foil the pan and let it cook till i hit temp.

Rest, pull and let it soak up the juices in the pan. Maybe a little S&P but thats it. No other sauces added.

PUN46WI.jpg

Back