Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce?

I use a very simple sauce when I'm pulling pork butt to keep it moist and to add just a little flavor pop to the meat. Somewhat of a NC finish.

3/4 cup Cider Vinegar
3 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 Tbs Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

I use a very simple sauce when I'm pulling pork butt to keep it moist and to add just a little flavor pop to the meat. Somewhat of a NC finish.

3/4 cup Cider Vinegar
3 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 Tbs Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

Nothing wrong with simple....simple rules WAY more often than complex!

Last edited:
I never measure just go by taste apple juice, apple vinegar, ginger ale in about even amounts. then honey, brown sugar and black pepper.

If you use a light touch when applying you can hardly detect any vinegar or hot sauce, just a pleasantly flavorful pork! But being a North Carolina boy, I go a bit stronger.

I LOVE NC style sauce. Back in the early 90s went to NC for the first time, Raleigh area. Was there for work for a few weeks, found a Que joint in Cary and had a pulled pork sandwich for lunch. First time I had vinegar sauce and vinegar slaw. I was instantly hooked.

Don't remember where I got this but I like it :

2 Cups Cider Vinegar ( I like to use Red Wine Vinegar )
2 TBS white sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Ketchup ( maybe a little less acc to taste )
1 TBS White Pepper
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS (or more) Red Pepper Flakes ( I'll use Hot Sauce a good squeeze )

This is almost exactly like mine but I nix the catsup but add butter. Sometimes a full stick sometimes half. Depends on how the meat looks.

Keith's Famous Pulled Pork Finishing and Dipping Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup catsup ( I use all natural- no corn syrup)
TB red pepper flakes
TS worstershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
TS salt
TS cayenne pepper

Simmer after you make it and again before serving.

1/2 for the pull and half for sammies

I like the kings recipe. I often have a jar of it in the fridge. It can be manipulated into a more traditional bbq sauce with the addition ot a few ingredients.

Jeff's finishing sauce.
1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

I add a little of ketchup to thicken it up a tad.

Is there a reason for using a vinegar based sauce instead of standard BBQ sauce? Tradition? Something else?

Is there a reason for using a vinegar based sauce instead of standard BBQ sauce? Tradition? Something else?
It just works, also you don't want to over power your pork but just accentuate it. The finishing sauce i use you can't really see anything mixed in besides a tint change and when you eat it you wouldn't really know there's a sauce mixed in besides a bit of extra flavor and the pork flavor still shines....,.THAT'S. what you want.

There used to be a guy by the name of "Chez" on another forum that gave out his sauce recipe for "Chez's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce" I think if you google it, you will find it. Anyway it is really good stuff!!

There used to be a guy by the name of "Chez" on another forum that gave out his sauce recipe for "Chez's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce" I think if you google it, you will find it. Anyway it is really good stuff!!
Here YA Go

Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

This is a thinner sauce really meant for pulled pork.
- an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways

Ingredients

1 qt Cider Vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
⅓ Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Seed
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Tbsp Chipotle Powder
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 Tbsp Onion Powder

Directions

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ.

The sauce above is one I have used for a long time. I have adjusted it over the years to my taste and add pineapple or mango juice to it. Great as a finishing sauce.

Thanks Blu, that's the one!:thumb:

My version

Bludawg's Wild Hawg Gravy
Tn Red Clone

1 quart apple cider vinegar
1 20 oz bottle ketchup
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 cup paprika
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 Tbl Black pepper
1 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl season salt
1 Tbl chipolte powder
2 Tbl red pepper flakes
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mace

Slowly heat in a non reactive pan to a low simmer. Simmer 15 min allow to cool and bottle. Makes 1/2 gal + a pint.

Pull your pork and set aside.

1/2 cup water

1 cup apple cider

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1 tablespoon worcestershire

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 teaspoons Blues Hog rub

1 tablespoon dry thyme (don't skip it-pork loves thyme)

1/2 stick butter (Wait, who puts butter on pulled pork? I DO!)

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Let return to room temp.

Toss a little at a time with pulled pork, until it reaches the flavor you like. CHECK FOR SALT. Black pepper to taste. The finishing sauce is meant to enhance the flavor of the meat. You should still be able to use a BBQ sauce along with this. Makes more than enough for one butt.

Back