Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce?

Here is my finishing sauce recipe. It is nice and simple but elevates the pork rather than giving it a strong flavor.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 Tbs crushed red peppers (less if you don't like a little bit of heat)
3 Tbs turbinado sugar
2 Tbs Kosher salt

Mix and shake and let it stand for 1 or more days. I personally keep a big jar of it on the counter and I will shake it every day. The last jar has been melding together in flavor for almost a month now.

I use 1/2 a cup of the finishing sauce per 6-9lb pork butt. It is really only there to elevate the pork flavor, not change the taste.

deguerre, what do you think about that basic recipe but use Oakridge HDD instead of the cayenne? Imight have to give that a try myself.

That's definitely a thought. It would introduce a little sugar to the mix which might not be bad. I'd cut down on the original's salt though since sea salt is the second ingredient listed for the HDD.

This is my all time favorite since I was a child. Use judiciously, but with a good vinegar slaw, its heaven on a bun.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115217

deguerre, what do you think about that basic recipe but use Oakridge HDD instead of the cayenne? Imight have to give that a try myself.

That's definitely a thought. It would introduce a little sugar to the mix which might not be bad. I'd cut down on the original's salt though since sea salt is the second ingredient listed for the HDD.

FWIW, I just made a small batch in a squirt bottle: +1 TBSP HDD, 2 Cups ACV, +1 TSP Sugar & +1 TSP red pepper flake. Just shook it up a little and had a taste; bright & a little heat, very promising. I think I'll let it sit in the fridge a couple days and give it a try. Now I need to make me some pulled pork:doh:

Edit: Forgot lemon, I'll go add a wedge.

Last edited:
This thread is fantastic. I am cooking pork today for 75ish. I have 4 butts and 9 racks of ribs on. I was thinking of offering a finishing sauce along with the bbq sauces. Now I have plenty of ideas! Been watching it all week.

nah he is in a meat coma probably. He'll be back.

...or he is too busy making all of these sauces! Man I hope he lets us know which one to try. I am in the same boat. Meat is cooking and I am looking for a sauce to make for everyone coming over this afternoon!

It'll be next weekend before I get to try some of these- I'm gonna do a 8-9-10 lb. Butt and try 2 or 3 of these sauces.

Anybody inject precook with the finishing sauce? Guess it'd be a Starting Sauce that way......

I'll second Roxy sauce, it's fantastic for pulled pork.

Third on that....it's a good one.....had a few conversations with the fellow & he's way knowledgeable about all things food & BBQ related....sent him some marinade & he used it in a way I'd never even thought of.....

There's some great mixes here & the regional items are tried & true, but being of the experimental bent & not being so much a fan of cooked tomato stuff (ACV, & vinegar sauces seem do-able, but without ketchup). I've done this a few times:

LastSundatSept2011004.jpg

Pound of unsalted butter & a fistfull of rub......

I have a 10 lb Butt cut into 2 pieces about 6 lbs and 4 lbs on Drum right now - but just went on. I'm gonna try 2 of these - just trying to figure out which 2.

Also gonna make PBEs.

ok this one for sure cuz I use Sweet Baby Rays on Pork all the Time.

Here YA Go

Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

This is a thinner sauce really meant for pulled pork.
- an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways

Ingredients

1 qt Cider Vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
⅓ Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Seed
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Tbsp Chipotle Powder
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 Tbsp Onion Powder

Directions

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ.

And this one:

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

picture.php

Last edited:
I have a 10 lb Butt cut into 2 pieces about 6 lbs and 4 lbs on Drum right now - but just went on. I'm gonna try 2 of these - just trying to figure out which 2.

And this one:

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

picture.php

You'll like the Shack Attack! Although you probably should have made it a few days ago. Gets better after it ages for a few days.

Also gonna make PBEs.

ok this one for sure cuz I use Sweet Baby Rays on Pork all the Time.

And this one:

Great......you go first, I'm ascared.....:grin:

Well I had several things going on Today so I only made the Basterdized Sauce. I followed the recipe but used a 18 oz bottle of Sweet Baby Rays - still had strong vinegar taste to me so I added 6 more ounces of Sweet Baby Rays - so 24 oz of SBR instead of 12 oz - I Like It.

Last edited:
Back