Post ITT if you were a 225* er and no longer do

Wow, it seems like lots of us have had the same metamorphosis so to speak where we micro managed temps and were following the temps that the BBQ world told us we had to do but through our own personal experiences saw the light! :idea:

I gotta say it is definitely a refreshing feeling just glancing at the therm to see if it's pointed in the right general direction and knowing that the food in the cooker is doing just fine!

Or not even having a thermometer to look at!

Or not even having a thermometer to look at!
Just a hair different when you're dealing with a real fire vs charcoal. :biggrin1: When a fire needs another split or two you judge by the pit temp, and if you wait too long to add them the splits won't ignite as fast. There's a whole big world of ways to cook and cookers out there besides the 30 gallon drum you're using Bob. lol but I know the point you're trying to make. :p

...and even then with charcoal for most of us when we want HOT or very very low it's nice to know it's in the general vicinity of what you want to achieve.

My first brisket 20lb 22 hrs at 225 on my old stick burner made me rethink and have not looked back. I learned not to fight the smoker if she wants to settle in at 275 that is fine if she settles at 325 I am fine with that also. I do like to shoot for 275 but as said if it settle in 325 that is where she stays.

I'm in this club.

Started out trying to hold my WSM at a rock-solid 225. Then found out Harry Soo cooks at 250 and 275, so I tried to hold those rock solid.

Then I got a stick burner.

I can't remember the last time I turned on a Maverick. I pretty much use the built-in thermometer as a rough guide and use a combination of color, feel, and a Thermapen to tell what's really going on with meats. I target 300F for all my cooks, ranging from 225 when I forget to check in a while on up to 375F-400F for short periods when I put on one stick too many. If I'm not cooking brisket or anything with a very sugary rub, I care way more nowadays about a clean fire than I do about the temp.

I am a 275er for sure, but I will say that I have run into some issues with ribs drying out a bit when I have the occasional spikes in temp and it runs closer to 300 for a time. Bigger cuts and chicken I'm not so concerned with, but I have gone back to 250 when I do ribs now.

Back