Post ITT if you were a 225* er and no longer do

I actually find it interesting that for certain cooks I'm going back to L&S. Seems the more I've cooked for folks the more I get asked and a lot of interest is for lunch. Well, I ain't doing no 3:00-4:00 AM starts for a brisket/butt lunch so I'm building a L&S pellet cooker that I can add a couple chunks to for added flavor that will let me get back to 12-18 brisket and butt cooks.

You bring up a good point Dave. I took up BBQ as a hobby and being a back yard BBQ guy I enjoy having a Saturday to take my time with it. It's not a race. I use the Maverick ET-732 while watching football during season etc. to keep from hovering over the smoker. Oh yeah, extra time for some cold beers.

Cookers have a temp that they like to run at, I run them there. It's too darn hard to make a cooker run against its will. So I pick the cooker that runs at the temp that's right for what I'm cooking. Brisket on the Bandera, ribs on the UDS, etc.

"Anyone that cooks higher than 225 is making shoe leather"

Consensus - this forum - when I was Barbefunkoramaque.

When I started here 8 years ago this is what I saw on a daily basis. I ran 250 on ribs and butts and mentioned it on here a couple times and got flamed in a big way. BBQ Brethren is a far kinder and gentler place than it was back then. I stayed away for a couple years and when I got back in with both feet last year I see the hotter cooking (275-325) is the new normal. I like it and that is where I cook everything except double smoked ham. I still do the 225 temp on them since I dried one out real bad at 300.

I actually find it interesting that for certain cooks I'm going back to L&S. Seems the more I've cooked for folks the more I get asked and a lot of interest is for lunch. Well, I ain't doing no 3:00-4:00 AM starts for a brisket/butt lunch so I'm building a L&S pellet cooker that I can add a couple chunks to for added flavor that will let me get back to 12-18 brisket and butt cooks.

That is why I bought the Blaz-N Grills pellet smoker. I can put on a brisket at 8 pm Saturday, and it is ready for a family dinner after church on Sunday. Makes you downright lazy. :biggrin1:

I use the A-Maz-N smoker for added smoke flavor. Works great. (just in case your modification doesn't work or is too much hassle)

I just can't wait to see that, now that's thinking outside the box.

Preach it. I tried the low and slow- honest I did. Did not take me long to say "I don't have time for this- I want to eat sooner" They can do what they want but folks and their "over nite cooks" tickle me. Kick it up! cook during the day - eat that day. "Night time is the right time to be with the one you love"

I'm with you man.. . I have a controller and a maverick clone that I pretty much tossed in the trash. I just rely on the Teltru for my stick burner and WSM. If it goes 230-325.. that's perfect!

Yeah I used to be a two two fiver, then I realized that cooker temp, like age, is just a number. 225 turns out good Q, it just takes longer. For my non chicken cooks I aim for 275 and if it happens to wander higher or lower I don't really care, it's done when it's done and it all tastes good.

Hi everyone. My name is Sean and I am a recovering *225'r. It's been awhile since I've 225'd. The itch is still there at times but I've found new life at my now normal *250.

Started at 235 on my WSM, went to 275 when I started with my pellet smoker and now cook at 300 on the Shirley. I was constantly trying to keep my WSM in a 15deg window. The pellet smoker broke me of watching the pit temp. Now with the Shirley I just glance over and think, "Yeah the needle is still pointing up."

I used to try and maintain 250 for everything. But my mindset is slightly higher now.
My Lang seems to like hanging out at 273-277 and I just let it run there. Chicken I usually cook at 300-325.

I actually find it interesting that for certain cooks I'm going back to L&S. Well, I ain't doing no 3:00-4:00 AM starts .

I'm with you, if I can get to sleep thru the night for certain cooks. I will go as low a temp as needed. Food can still come out great! Learning to cook at many different temps and using different cookers allows one to use the tools available how one likes. If we all did it the same we might as well eat at BBQ joints and not cook.

My first smoker was a Chargriller COS. I thought 225° was the cat's arse and I'd be pissed if my temp was higher.

The you farkers entered my life through the mother UDS thread and I've been reborn. 250° is on the low side for me now with 285° -ish being where the drum likes to run and the TBS is all but invisible.

When I got a cooker with a temp gauge I tried to cook 225. Cooker liked north of 260.275 sweet spot

Use to be....and super spot on micromanaging too......now I don't even know what temp the pits running, but I could guess it by a lid tap :p

Amen brother.....when I started BBQ-ing if the needle wasn't exactly on 225 I would start to panic. Now...my main cookers don't have thermometers (well one does but the therms don't work anymore). If I had to guess I'd say I'm cooking more like 300+. I go more by feel and the sound of the meat cooking...old school, baby :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Wow, it seems like lots of us have had the same metamorphosis so to speak where we micro managed temps and were following the temps that the BBQ world told us we had to do but through our own personal experiences saw the light! :idea:

I gotta say it is definitely a refreshing feeling just glancing at the therm to see if it's pointed in the right general direction and knowing that the food in the cooker is doing just fine!

Back