Post ITT if you were a 225* er and no longer do

Ha, if that isn't a loaded question.

Poultry hot is different than brisket hot is different than pork butt hot....then you get into differences between cookers. What I cook in one that I think is hot isn't close to being hot in another one.

Wood burner drum for chicken- 450-550* and chicken in a UDS or bullet clone hot could be 400-450*

Pork butt hot on a cook grate for me is 350* but if I hang them could be 450*

Brisket stays pretty much at around 300* for the norm and 350* is hot and the same for other beef cuts like chuckies.

Ribs - spares and bbs?

Loaded question meant in a good way . . . to invite all comers . . . and sincere. thanks

I do temp control for a living so I just can't help measuring internal meat temp and I want to know what's happening at grill level too. I run 275*F for all but overnight smokes which is dialed down to 265*F on my WSM using a Party Q. Not 264 and not 266. I've found that a steady temp has really improved the taste of my product although I'm not sure how. High heat for steaks and burgers unless reverse sear.

I started out at 225*F until I started hanging out here. Always looking to improve so nothing is etched in stone.

How did I move to Hotter Temps? Original Question.

It took 9 hours to undercook a 4 plate of beef ribs on my UDS at 225 or so
and I was not happy. I don't have 19 hours to make a brisket.
Gotta hand it those who DO have the time or resources at 225,
that's not me.

I'll admit I was a low and slow guy too until I met this one girl... oh right this is q talk. :rolleyes:

I just let my cooker go to about 300+- 25 degrees and don't worry about it any longer.

I was a 225er until I got a Lang 60 and as hard as I tried the damn thing liked to run around 275 so I got over it and learned to cook to the temp my pit likes to cook. I will say that with my gravity fed smoker I still like to cook butts @225 but that's about it

Ribs - spares and bbs?

Loaded question meant in a good way . . . to invite all comers . . . and sincere. thanks

Now that is a bit different and harder to explain... only because of something I use that isn't on the market yet. If I'm just regular grate cooking ribs like most do then 350* is hot and 300* is the norm but if it's this different way that isn't on the market yet it's much hotter but over a fire because it's tastiest that way for me.

I remember trying to get my Weber Genesis gasser down to 225* when I first got interested in making BBQ. One valve on low, the rest off, prop the lid open a bit to get it down from 235*. Little foil packet of chips on top of the flavorizer bar to pretend like wood was burning...

Of course, everything I read said that 225* was the magical number. So that's where I was fighting to cook. Later, I found this site and learned it is best to let your smoker run where it likes to. My WSM likes around 275*, so I normally cook there.

So is it easier to maintane a temp. of 275 to 325 as to 225 to 275. Cause if that is the case I will try it a few times myself. DouG

I will still use 225 from time to time. Just depends on my time restraints. Sometimes you need it to take longer so you can work in some sleep or to accommodate your schedule. Other times, I wish I could just nuke a brisket into tenderness.

In a perfect world, I cook things at 275 or so. Gave up on the guru and such (not a competitor), but do watch temps when I have a bunch of different meats going.

I cooked hotter to begin with, then somewhere got lost and started going lower, then came here, and Saiko and Barbefunkoramaque set me straight, got me back to my roots of hotter.

Say that 10x fast! :icon_smile_tongue:

I started with an ECB, so my temperature protocol was " try to keep the stupid thing burning." I never even used a decent thermometer until this year, when I got Akorn. In the process of failing to keep it down to 225, I noticed that ribs, butt, etc end up pretty happy in a range of 250 to 300. Ant the main difference between cooking at 225 and cooking at 275 is that with the latter you get to sleep now and then.

I actually find it interesting that for certain cooks I'm going back to L&S. Seems the more I've cooked for folks the more I get asked and a lot of interest is for lunch. Well, I ain't doing no 3:00-4:00 AM starts for a brisket/butt lunch so I'm building a L&S pellet cooker that I can add a couple chunks to for added flavor that will let me get back to 12-18 brisket and butt cooks.

I actually find it interesting that for certain cooks I'm going back to L&S. Seems the more I've cooked for folks the more I get asked and a lot of interest is for lunch. Well, I ain't doing no 3:00-4:00 AM starts for a brisket/butt lunch so I'm building a L&S pellet cooker that I can add a couple chunks to for added flavor that will let me get back to 12-18 brisket and butt cooks.

The lunch thing has me in the same place for timing on brisket/butts. I run the stick burner until i wrap and then use the oven overnight low. With a cooler for holding i have an easy window from noon to 5 pm and the whole day is free.

May I say I start a bit higher early on, I do back down a bit at the end.....
like a slow denoument. On briskies and butts.
I like a long glide path to touchdown for bigger meats, after the stall ..

The lunch thing has me in the same place for timing on brisket/butts. I run the stick burner until i wrap and then use the oven overnight low. With a cooler for holding i have an easy window from noon to 5 pm and the whole day is free.

That is a really cool solution, but my real addiction is building cookers, especially something I've never done so my solution of building a pellet smoker is really just feeding my addiction:becky:

Back