Eat Like a Greek TD cook: Moussaka

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
This is for the Eat Like a Greek throwdown. Great category choice.

Moussaka!

I've made it before, but it's been a few years. The throwdown category gave me the inspiration to dust off the recipe and make it once again. For those who have never had it, it's an (optional) layer of potatoes (mandatory as far as I'm concerned), a layer or two of eggplant, a spicy meat mixture with tomatoes usually containing ground lamb (I used pork and beef), topped with a Bechamel cheese sauce. Here goes.

Sorry for the ton of pics, but I wanted to take you through the prep.

The ingredients -

TsdNSFG.jpg

Eggplant, Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Potatoes, Ground Beef and Pork. The spices are Allspice, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Oregano, Parsley, Bay Leaf. Red wine, Onion and Garlic go into the mix as well.

Normally the potatoes are peeled (not today!), boiled and sliced. I don't feel like washing another pot so everything goes on the grill. Ditto for the eggplant, which is either fried or roasted in the oven. Onto the Goldens' they go, which is set up indirect -

KTxW42x.jpg

Nearly done -

OmBdaXv.jpg

Cooking everything outdoors today so my cart gets put to use -

FtOlxPz.jpg

Pork and Beef gets a start in the Lodge skillet -

KOzR8oy.jpg

After browning, add in the onions and garlic -

5NkuMmG.jpg

Followed by the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine and all the spices to simmer for a half hour or so. We want this mixture as dry as possible so we'll keep it uncovered and skim off whatever liquid doesn't cook off -

uTZogl7.jpg

Fairly dry -

xVKeWin.jpg

Once it cools a beaten egg gets whisked in.

Since regulating the temp on the grill isn't the easiest thing in the world, we'll prepare the Bechamel inside on the stovetop. Butter, milk/cream, flour, nutmeg to start -

nCNPndt.jpg

Once it starts to thicken, add in grated Parmesan -

tFTCL8B.jpg

And once the Bechamel cools, two egg yolks are whisked in.

Time for assembly. Butter the pan, add a layer of breadcrumbs -

2rstPzF.jpg

Potatoes first -

R6SsbG1.jpg

Eggplant -

TdNxmrS.jpg

Meat mixture -

U8Y9cJy.jpg

Bechamel -

QiFEWYp.jpg

And out onto the Goldens' to bake at 350F for about an hour -

45DwG0E.jpg

Getting the top to brown in a Kamado isn't easy -

sPWWtfQ.jpg

so we'll finish it off in the oven after dusting it with more Parmesan. Much better -

05rXbMf.jpg

iNf6oa6.jpg

Plated with a Greek salad -

th4ypap.jpg

KyF1GNL.jpg

X6lTIRt.jpg

I'll admit, this turned out as good as it looks. The spices were right on, the texture was excellent. Yeah, it appears to be a lot of work and a ton of steps, and it is. Somehow preparing this on the grill makes things a bit simpler despite carting everything outdoors. But that's the fun of grilling.

And there are plenty of leftovers for the next few days! It'll only be better tomorrow as the flavors meld.

As always, thanks for following along on today's Greek Moussaka cook!

One of these pics will wind up as a throwdown entry.

Regards,
-lunchman

Oh wow, Dom! I dare not share this with CINCHOUSE right away as she'd be all over me about following suit ASAP!

This is one of our favorite Greek dishes from time spent in Germany and her various Greek neighborhoods. I can 'bout taste everything on that plate....

Where's the Metaxa and Ouzo?

You crushed this, Dom... and you folks ate incredibly well.

No apologies for the pics, much appreciated. That looks amazing and I don't blame you for trying to cut down on pans and doing more outside.

My goodness. I'm absolutely certain I would overeat this dish like a glutton and not be able to move for hours. Awesome cook, Dom.

You put so much time and effort into your cooks and it really shows! I like how you switched up and decided to do everything outside, no doubt that move added an extra element of flavor to the dish. Amazing job!

Thanks everyone. If you haven't tried making this, give it a go. It can be prepared indoors as most recipes would be written for, but I've got a perfectly good oven outside and it's fun being adventurous.

There are a lot of recipes on the web. The specific one I've used is from a website called daringgourmet.com. I've made this only a few times, dating back to when I first got the Bubba Keg and still haven't found a recipe I like better.

Bechamel was always a thorn in my side and i feared recipes that called for it but I think I've finally gotten it down pat. As the recipe states - whisk constantly.

-Dom

Back