THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Over at the Never Ending PORK CHOP Thread (formerly known as the Pork Chop Masters Throwdown), Al Czervik posted this:
Pork chops eh? How about pork chops and applesauce? :heh:

images

I know... I know... They have to be part of the pork chops and not a side dish! :roll:

Since then the rules changed to "no rules" and then eventually the throwdown became the never ending thread that it is now (but sounds like it might end soon).

One thing that hasn't changed is the sound of Peter Brady saying "Pork Chops and Applesauce" in that funky wanna-be Humphrey Bogart voice stuck in my head. In an attempt to exorcise that Brady Bunch sound bite out of my system, I cooked up some Pork Chops and Applesauce last night.

I started with 4 gala apples and this recipe for applesauce. I peeled, cored, and chopped up these:
IMG_9617.jpg

and cooked them in a dutch oven in my Small BGE around 350 for 15 mins:
IMG_9623.jpg

while the apples were cooking, I took out some boneless center cut natural chops and rubbed them with a mix of Yardbird and SM Cherry:
IMG_9630.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

I got the chops onto the Egg and then took a potato masher and turned the apples into applesauce:
IMG_9639.jpg

I also got some inspiration on this dish from a Dr. BBQ recipe for a Pork Tenderloin with Peach Barbecue Drizzle (in the Big Green Egg Cookbook). So the drizzle joined the chops on the Egg:
IMG_9642.jpg

The chops came off at ITs ranging from 143-148 and then rested. The drizzle came off the grill on went some peaches rubbed with DP Pineapple Head rub:
IMG_9645.jpg

The chops after a rest and joined by the applesauce and topped with the peach drizzle:
IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

and then joined by some grilled peach:
IMG_9669.jpg

Best chops I've made in a long while and the applesauce and peach drizzle were both great! Mrs. R2 was very happy with chops that actually had some moistness and loved the meal so I was happy.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Fark, I posted in Throwdowns instead of Q-Talk! :crazy: Mods - Please move to Q-Talk.

Last edited:
I like to use a good cooking apple. Ida Red's are my fav but Granny Smith's or Jonathan's will work too. Start by mostly caramelizing a good sized onion in butter and then add the cut up apples. Once it's all cooked down nicely add brown sugar/molasses and balsamic vinegar to taste. More like chutney buy a nice variation.:wink:

ETA Steen's will work as a sweetener too.

Last edited:
Nice job all around... I can never, ever say "Pork chops" without thinking, or saying, "& appleshauce". It's too much part of me. The Brady Bunch was "it" for me when it aired, and I was 6 years old or so.

Good looking grub, good camera work, just a great job.

NICE!! Over here pork chops are usually fried, and smothered in gravy! never had them with applesauce...John, I may have to try this...
BTW nice pics!!

Nice job all around... I can never, ever say "Pork chops" without thinking, or saying, "& appleshauce". It's too much part of me. The Brady Bunch was "it" for me when it aired, and I was 6 years old or so.

same here

even my wife says it

I don't know if the proper pronunciation have ever been muttered in our house.

Back