How do you make tender pork chops?

Pork chops most certainly benefit from a brine, as others have stated, and cook to no more than 135-140max. The carryover from a few minute rest will have them in the safe zone for eating.

I've been favoring pork T-bones like this of late, with their higher fat content:

10_8_21_Pork_Chops3(1).jpg

Here's the whole cook thread, which includes our brine recipe:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294916

10_8_21_Pork_Chops4(1).jpg

Well, I guess I'm all alone here.
Bread em and fry em.
I use the CI pan on the grill. Hot fire. When the crust is cooked right, place them on the grill indirect till they reach done temp of 140.

Works every time.

I'm not good at pork chops but I have had some luck bring them and smoking them very low until 135-140 and then holding them there for a while. Use lots of moisture in the cook chamber with a water pan right over the fire.

I think it helps to start with higher quality, thicker cuts from a butcher.

Good luck!

Essentially what Thirdeye said above. Pork in the USA currently sucks. It is way too lean and healthy. Even what Moose posted above would be a select grade steak, and when I cook one of those up, I know my jaw is going to get a workout. When I travel to other countries, I can still get well-marbled porkchops like I got 30 years ago and they are truly a pleasure to eat without having to brine beforehand. Every once in a while, I see a package at Costco where the pork has some marbling and I'll pick it up, but usually it's a hard pass. Alternatively, you can purchase some specialty breed pork for an arm and a leg. The main difference though is not the breed, but how the pig's been raised.

pork-rib-eye-chops.jpg

Get what we call pork ribeyes and cook em like a ribeye. I season with spog sear them over a flame for a few then pull to indirect till about 130-135 let them rest and you won't be disappointed.

If you cook them until they look appealing (picture perfect), they're overcooked.
Some paprika or some type of sugar that will caramelize helps with the visual appeal.
I've always cooked the super thick Costco chops in the oven, Pork Steaks from Sam's is my favorite for grilling, lots of fat - takes the heat well.

How about Sous Vide at 135-137 (length varies with thickness) with some seasoning, then pull, pat dry, hard/fast sear for desired appearance, let rest. Serve ‘em up.

Pork chops most certainly benefit from a brine, as others have stated, and cook to no more than 135-140max. The carryover from a few minute rest will have them in the safe zone for eating.

I've been favoring pork T-bones like this of late, with their higher fat content:

Here's the whole cook thread, which includes our brine recipe:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294916

Thanks for the link to the brine recipe. I'll give it a try!

Hey everyone, thanks for the recommendations! Lots of different approaches regarding type of pork to get and recipes to try out in this thread. I didn't realize that pork had changed over the last 30 years due to how the pigs are now being raised. Interesting. If nothing else, it looks like if I buy pork that's thinner with bone-in, or marbled (or both of course) my chances will be better if grilling. But I'm also interested in these other recipes, especially since my wife likes gravy & fried foods.

pork-rib-eye-chops.jpg

Get what we call pork ribeyes and cook em like a ribeye. I season with spog sear them over a flame for a few then pull to indirect till about 130-135 let them rest and you won't be disappointed.

Those are cut from the rib end (forward end) of a pork loin, that darker muscle has a little more fat. That portion is my favorite when curing the loin.

9ZAciko.jpg

Back