My turn at my first custom build, a vertical offset here in Japan!

Thanks, with the transformer I'm able to give the welder the power it needs to run efficiently,better penetration. I have some nozzle gel and used it on the exhaust. I didn't really like it, left a greasy film afterwards. I think a quick hit with the grinder should knock it off fairly easy, could be wrong though :razz:.

You could pay my airfare and I could come and do it for you.
just saying:caked:

If u r using flux cored gasless wire you will never get rid of the spatter. But there is some anti spatter spray u can get, the nozzle dip only protects the nozzle from spatter(usually nozzle dip is for gas shielded wire, kinda pointless with gasless fluxcore). Spatter can also mean your site speed is too fast, I would lower wire speed and when welding to slow your hand travel .

I am no expert and all this advice could be wrong, but I do weld everyday and gotta jack with this stuff, so take it how u want.

If u r using flux cored gasless wire you will never get rid of the spatter. But there is some anti spatter spray u can get, the nozzle dip only protects the nozzle from spatter(usually nozzle dip is for gas shielded wire, kinda pointless with gasless fluxcore). Spatter can also mean your site speed is too fast, I would lower wire speed and when welding to slow your hand travel .

I am no expert and all this advice could be wrong, but I do weld everyday and gotta jack with this stuff, so take it how u want.

Thanks, I can only change wire speed on my welder. If I slow it down I'm also turning down power. I'll get a hang of it. Definitely better than my exhaust which has a lot of chicken sh!t beads. Nothing a grinder and paint can't fix:razz:

Well still making progress. Got my fire box completely welded up, just need to do the door. I got some casters and door latches on the way. Next is to start the main chamber and hopefully once it gets done my casters will be here.

I did find some time to make some pulled pork as I was finishing the fire box

I'm using .030 flux core wire with a forney mig welder.

Why?

Size of the wire makes a big difference on how it burns. I have had to use .023 up to .035 wire depending on welder.

The wire carries the amperage, so more amps can flow through a thicker wire at the same wire speed. Spend some time with the Miller mig welding calculator http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...calculator.php

it gives wire diameter and the amps needed and wire feed speed.

so you can get an idea from that
.023 is about 4-5" per amp
.030 is about 2.5" per amp
.035 is about 2" per amp
.045 is about 1" per amp

So take the amperage needed and multiply by how many inches are needed per amp for you wire size will give you the wire feed speed. so to get say 100 amps you would need a wire feed twice as fast if you use .035 than if you used .045

Playing with the wire size could make a difference to you.

Well my build has been put on hold for a while due to work and the weather don't have a shed or nothing to work under. Gonna be cool for a couple of days. One thing been bothering me is my chamber. The sides is 1/8" thick and I'm worried about them warping once I start cooking on it. Do I need to worry about this or should I add some braces? Going to build it like my firebox.

Last edited:
1/8 inch shouldn't be too troublesome. For peace of mind id get 1/2" square stock and run it vertically right down the middle...or some 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle iron ought to fine as well.. That's just my opinion. If rather be safe than sorry.

I made an unnecessary frame(out of square tubing) for my cook chamber. It has proven its worth, no doubt, but was a bit overkill.

Well progress is being made, but slowly on this build. The weather was cold today after work and was able to get the main chamber tacked, minus the top.

My build is still alive

Been slowly working on my build. Thank this might be the slowest build thread. Well got the base done. Legs on the firebox and working on welding the seams of the main chamber. Got the front brace welded up for the main chamber. Unfortunately the next few days is going to be nothing but rain.

Building this pretty much on my back patio

Well my build has been put on hold for a while due to work and the weather don't have a shed or nothing to work under. Gonna be cool for a couple of days. One thing been bothering me is my chamber. The sides is 1/8" thick and I'm worried about them warping once I start cooking on it. Do I need to worry about this or should I add some braces? Going to build it like my firebox.
Your grate racks/slides will be supporting/stiffening each side of your CC. The back is mostly supported from the rear wall.
Bracing never hurts. I take it you are planning on putting bracing on the outside of the CC? To keep it out of the way of cooking grates etc.
You could frame the outside door area of the CC with like mentioned, 1/8"X 3/4 or 1" angle ( I'd go with the 1"). Only requires tack welds, not solid welding. Same with your shelf guides. You can then use that framing angle for your door to CC seal area, if that makes sense.
If you are going to do some high heat cooks above 500* F. You will want to add cross bracing on all sides and door.
Lots of ways to go about it.

• Thanks
Reactions: COS
Your grate racks/slides will be supporting/stiffening each side of your CC. The back is mostly supported from the rear wall.
Bracing never hurts. I take it you are planning on putting bracing on the outside of the CC? To keep it out of the way of cooking grates etc.
You could frame the outside door area of the CC with like mentioned, 1/8"X 3/4 or 1" angle ( I'd go with the 1"). Only requires tack welds, not solid welding. Same with your shelf guides. You can then use that framing angle for your door to CC seal area, if that makes sense.
If you are going to do some high heat cooks above 500* F. You will want to add cross bracing on all sides and door.
Lots of ways to go about it.

Thanks for your input. Sent PM.

Back