My first smoker build

sfarbic

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Sean
Hey everyone, I have been dreaming about building my own smoker for years now. I recently acquired (3) 30" diameter diesel tanks. One tank is 48" long and the other two are 36" long. I've read many threads online about all sorts of considerations like offset vs reverse flow, firebox size, flue size, etc. I think I have a solid idea of how I want to use the tanks so I've built a 3D model in Sketchup. The 4'-0" tank will be my main horizontal reverse flow cook chamber. One of the 3'-0" tanks will be my vertical smoker/warming box. The final 3'-0" tank will be cut in half and used as the firebox and transitional piece between the horizontal and vertical smokers. I wanted flexibility with this smoker so I can cook with just the horizontal or just the vertical or both. I will install a damper between the horizontal and vertical chambers which when open, will let smoke travel from the horizontal chamber directly into the vertical chamber. I will also build a damper between the firebox and vertical chamber so I can let smoke/heat directly into the vertical chamber without having it go through the horizontal chamber. My hope is that I will be able to use this smoker with both chambers going for large parties and use one chamber for smaller gatherings. I've included several pictures below to illustrate my plan. I wanted to post my plan and get some feed back from BBQ enthusiasts before proceeding with the build. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Reverse Flow Smoker.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Reverse Flow Smoker2.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Reverse Flow Smoker3.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker3.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 237
  • Reverse Flow Smoker8.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker8.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Reverse Flow Smoker9.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker9.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 235
  • Reverse Flow Smoker11.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker11.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Reverse Flow Smoker12.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker12.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Reverse Flow Smoker7.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker7.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 239
  • Reverse Flow Smoker11.3.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker11.3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Reverse Flow Smoker11.4.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker11.4.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Reverse Flow Smoker15.jpg
    Reverse Flow Smoker15.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 237
Awesome undertaking. Looks very detailed. Are they used tanks ? if so will they clean out easy ? Good luck and keep us posted !!! Sorry I don't have any technical information .... just encouragement.

Very nice detailed drawings. What software are you using? I assume the tanks are aluminum. Might be hard to maintain temps in the wintertime, depending on where you live.

Thanks,

Robert

^^^^^^^^ I agree about maintaining temps, as it is a problem for my homemade offset at times in New England. However, you may consider adding insulation to the outside in few places which could make a real difference.

Your horizontal cook chamber definitely needs insulation, while the vertical chamber may only need it on the top. You are going to get some insulating value out of the vertical cook chamber over the firebox. You might get away with only insulating part of it.

But given your creativity, you probably have a few ideas in mind.

Fantastic use of the software, looks like tons of man-hours invested.

Looking forward to following this project. Good luck.

yes the tanks are used. They have been open to air for for several years. I plan on opening them up and then building a hot fire in them to burn the residual fuel trapped in the metal

I am using Sketchup software to design the smoker. The tanks are 3/16" thick steel. I was not planning to insulate it initially. I live in California and have not needed it on my current COS. Thanks for your thoughts!

Interesting design. My only suggestions would be:
1. to consider insulating between the firebox and the vertical chamber to avoid overheating.
2. maybe add sausage/bacon hangers in the top of the vertical chamber.

Right on looks cool.

I haven't welded in 20yrs but i want to give it another shot. There are a few projects i have in mind for myself if i can get going on it again.

@swine spectator: Thanks for the recommendations. I do have several bars at the top of the vertical chamber to hang chickens, bacon, sausage. They can be seen in the picture that looks up at the open vert chamber. Great minds think alike! Regarding the insulation between the FB and vert, I get what you are saying. I do have a couple of dampers built into the side of the vert chamber to dump heat if it gets too hot. If I insulate, then I would have to rely on hot smoke to heat the chamber instead of radiant heat from the top of the hot FB which is fine for smoking in the vert chamber but not ideal when I want to use the vert as a warmer. I think I'll build it as is and see if it needs the insulation. I think it would be easy to add afterwards. Thanks again for you thoughts!

@swine spectator: Thanks for the recommendations. I do have several bars at the top of the vertical chamber to hang chickens, bacon, sausage. They can be seen in the picture that looks up at the open vert chamber. Great minds think alike! Regarding the insulation between the FB and vert, I get what you are saying. I do have a couple of dampers built into the side of the vert chamber to dump heat if it gets too hot. If I insulate, then I would have to rely on hot smoke to heat the chamber instead of radiant heat from the top of the hot FB which is fine for smoking in the vert chamber but not ideal when I want to use the vert as a warmer. I think I'll build it as is and see if it needs the insulation. I think it would be easy to add afterwards. Thanks again for you thoughts!

There may be a cook where an adjustable damper between the roof of the FB and the floor of the vertical chamber would come in handy if you want to cook a smaller hot and fast load. You can always leave it closed if not needed. Kinda like turning that end into a cabinet smoker...best of both worlds, two in one.

Impressive drawings by the way.

Last edited:
@fooball: I have a damper below the vert chamber and just to the left of the firebox that will allow me to open the firebox to the vert chamber. The vert chamber can be used as a vertical smoker or warmer depending on how I adjust the dampers. I am trying to get the best of both world as you put it. Thanks for the comment!

There is an art and science to locating your smoke collector vertically, how large and what shape the smoke collector should be, the diameter and height of the smoke stack, the size of the firebox and the size and location of the aperture between the firebox and smoke chamber(s). For example, the folks behind Workhorse/Primitive Pits state, "the [pit] is designed using computational fluid dynamics to ensure this unit burns extremely even".
From the visuals you have given us I question the size of the firebox (should be larger?) and the height of the stack (should be taller?). But my point as should be clear is that a well designed smoker is not just a collection of chambers.

There is an art and science to locating your smoke collector vertically, how large and what shape the smoke collector should be, the diameter and height of the smoke stack, the size of the firebox and the size and location of the aperture between the firebox and smoke chamber(s). For example, the folks behind Workhorse/Primitive Pits state, "the [pit] is designed using computational fluid dynamics to ensure this unit burns extremely even".
From the visuals you have given us I question the size of the firebox (should be larger?) and the height of the stack (should be taller?). But my point as should be clear is that a well designed smoker is not just a collection of chambers.

I agree that it shouldn't be just a collection of chambers, BUT....

I believe less and less that good BBQ requires a "computational fluid dynamics" designed cooker. That has only recently become all the rage in the last 10-15 years or so that I can remember.

When I see great BBQ being put out by a homemade cooker or even some of the big boy famous restaurant smokers that don't appear to follow all the computerized table rules, it makes me wonder just how much difference does it make?

Now I'm not saying a thrown together smoker that won't draft at all or obviously has too small a firebox to get up to temp works as well as a well designed cooker.

But....does it really matter for the food you produce that you have every single baffle/exhaust/fire box/cook chamber/cut out correctly sized for optimum "flow" according to the tables that claim to have all the dimensions right?

There are a lot of good cookers out there being sold today by big name companies in the BBQ smoker business that don't seem to follow all the rules, and they are still well respected.

Smoker design

I have zero desire to get into an argument but instead only offer a friendly opinion. You know what they say about opinions.
The main goal from my perspective is not even cooking in the chamber but getting a healthy draft. A good draft makes it easier to maintain a clean fire. A good draft means the smoke flows over and under the meat rather than just being a lingering cloud. Aaron Franklin in his book wrote about these concepts as being critical to good brisket and the design of a good smoker. Too much draft will mean burning hot and burning through wood unnecessarily. Too little draft means having a tough time keeping the fire going and dirty smoke. Just my humble. I am NOT saying one has to use fluid dynamics software. But other than a boatload of experience or trial and error, it sure helps.

Back