how should I start?

MiddNightSmoker

As I mentioned earlier.. I just purchased a cheap Char-Broil offset smoker.. *it's still in the box. I also went and purchased some of this Rust Oleum high heat.. flat black.. 2000F ceramic coating.. *figured.. it was the best they had.. "peel proof".. LoL..
I'm going to purchase some lava lock.. to fill in the cracks.. and to help join the main cook chamber to the fire box.. but was wondering.. should I wipe the parts down with a rag and some alcohol... and then spray with the Rust Oleum.. and then build.. or.. am I supposed to build.. then spray the outer and inner areas down with cooking oil... heat up.. and then coat the outer side with the Rust Oleum? I thought I read something about helping the metal out.. by coating it with oil.. and allowing it to "penetrate" the metal.. I do plan to season the inside once everything is built.. but was mainly concerned with the "proper" outside set-up
Again.. thank you all for your insight.. I think orig.. I was just gonna wipe off the outside.. and then paint it.. let it dry.. and then assemble with the lava lock.

No need paint now. Assemble and light fire to season. You will see where paint will want to peel and you can lightly sand and coat it with high heat once cooled. Keep can handy for touchup as needed. Can also spray Pam on exposed areas to prevent rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Just get cooking. You're going to want a higher end cooker before you ever wear that one out!

I agree...don't worry about the exterior. "Paint" the interior w/ oill & fire 'er up to season...kinda like a cast iron skillet.

No need paint now. Assemble and light fire to season. You will see where paint will want to peel and you can lightly sand and coat it with high heat once cooled. Keep can handy for touchup as needed. Can also spray Pam on exposed areas to prevent rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I have a Pit Boss 800 I still have and still use for over 5 years. Ever since i added my Smoke Daddy Stick burner attachment i noticed a hot spot that peeled the paint and started to rust. I just buffed it with a angle grinder (HB $19.95) and a buffing wheel and touched it up with some high temp black paint. Going strong ever since.

I agree with everyone else, just start cooking and then paint it as the current exterior warrants. The current paint will chip and flake and all the exterior paint on top of it will flake also, so you will want it adhered to bare metal.

Do a burnout then a biscuit test to find you temperature profile. Worry about paint and oil after that. If you are making modifications, make them before painting.

Back