New offset options - OC?

JeffRaines

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jeff
So I'm still trying to make a decision on a nicer smoker than what I have.

Originally I was considering just going hog wild(and I still might) on one of the really high end options... but something I kept seeing started resonating with me - its the Indian not the arrow. I'm pretty pragmatic with a lot of my purchases, I value function over everything else. While I think I'd love a higher end option, if I could save a couple $$$ while retaining 98% of the function that would be even better.

I can make good q on my Highland... two reasons for replacing it are more room(although I doubt I'll ever need as much room as even a 100gal offers), and more importantly... easier fire management.

I know this is offset smoking - it isn't a WSM/UDS or a pellet grill. I don't expect to be able to leave it for hours without needing to tend fire... but right now with my Highland, running at 275 I'm lucky to go 15-20 minutes without needing to tend fire. It can be longer at the start, but once the coal bed stabilizes/dies a little I'm usually out there every 10 minutes.

I'm assuming this is a consequence of a small firebox, small cook chamber, and iffy-at-best airflow/draw. All downsides I knew going into it.

I'd LOVE to be able to go 30-40 minutes between feeding. Heck, even a solid 20 minutes throughout the cook would be an improvement over what I'm doing now.

I'm not against spending less money - in fact, if I could get away with something like a OC Brazos or G2 I'd be all for it, so long as I didn't have to literally sit next to the pit for the duration of the cook. I think the size of those smokers would probably be more than I used on a regular basis. I can't imagine needing to smoke more than a couple butts or two briskets at a time.

I know the newer model Brazos offer a removable baffle plate. The G2 has both a baffle and a tuning plate included I think - both removable which I'd probably do. I know I'd need a stack extension on the Brazos if I went that direction.

I know there's got to be quite a few of you on here with the OC smokers - what's your experience managing fire on these? It also seems these last quite a while with care.

Thanks again guys.

If you can't go more than 15 minutes w/o adding fuel you aren't using large enough sticks. If you are losing your coal base add a little unlit lump most times you are feeding.

If you can't go more than 15 minutes w/o adding fuel you aren't using large enough sticks. If you are losing your coal base add a little unlit lump most times you are feeding.

The issue I face is I either use smaller sticks and keep around 275, or I use larger sticks and the fire gets dirtier than I’d like quick OR the temp spikes up like a mother if the coal bed is sufficient.

A note on the fire - I’m definitely not one of those clear smoke guys. I believe the smoke needs some color for flavor… but it goes from good looking smoke to bad pretty quick.

In any case, I want something bigger so I’m not necessarily looking to stick in the smoker I have. I just want to make sure whatever I buy I’m not gonna run into the same problems I’m currently having. I’d love to get 30 minutes between feedings!

I had a Jamba for awhile (sold it to build son an outdoor kitchen for my son) and it cooked INCREDIBLE. But a few things always bothered me.
1. The wheels are IMPORTANT, unless it sits on concrete, get some LARGE golf cart wheels.
2. I never liked the two door access, I prefer one cook chamber door even if it needs counterweight.
3. I would have my firebox door open same side as the cook chamber.

Maybe nitpicking but those are my takes. I will have to say the Jamba up and over concept of heat flow is the best....JMHO

The issue I face is I either use smaller sticks and keep around 275, or I use larger sticks and the fire gets dirtier than I’d like quick OR the temp spikes up like a mother if the coal bed is sufficient.

A note on the fire - I’m definitely not one of those clear smoke guys. I believe the smoke needs some color for flavor… but it goes from good looking smoke to bad pretty quick.

In any case, I want something bigger so I’m not necessarily looking to stick in the smoker I have. I just want to make sure whatever I buy I’m not gonna run into the same problems I’m currently having. I’d love to get 30 minutes between feedings!

I always forget something.
You have to have well seasoned wood that has been preheated and you have to have good draft control. The draft control is part of what you pay good money for.
I spent many hours over many days closing all the air leaks on my old OK Joe to get the air control I wanted. Once mine warmed up you never saw any smoke leaks and the cooker adjusted properly and held temps w/o big swings.

I have a Lonestar 24x36. It is fine and also believe any of the 1/4 or 3/8 smokers will work fine. There are some really nice one in the 2 to 3500 range. I do not worry about exact temp. I just try and keep it in a range. I throw a log or two in every 25 to 40 mins depending on how hot I am cooking at. I do not check temps other than when I but a long in. Do not over think it, it is smoking food and not an exact science for me. That is what I like and everytime is a little different.

Back