Paid ~1800 dollars for offset smoker, gap at pipe.. normal?

Toeter

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,

I just bought an offset smoke 20" 5/16 Inch thick (8mm) steel for around $1800,-

Looks really good, it's heavy. Very happy with it. There is just 1 thing I noticed. There is a small airgap where the exhaust pipe goes in the smoker, see image:

N4o5nok

So I've sent an email to the seller I got it from and he replied with:

"All the grills have such a gap. It doesn't influence on grilling process. Don't worry about it!"

And now I'm like.. hmm.. if it was a few hundred bucks I would agree.. But around 1800 dollars.. in my mind that should be airtight.

Any thoughts? This is my first smoker so I'm not sure what I can expect.
I know I can wrap some kamado gasket around it to seal it. But I don't have that lying around.

Am I going out of line here by asking, ok I can fix the leakage myself with some gasket but I want you to cover the expenses?

Kind regards!

Well, the workmanship about matches their customer service.

It'll seal itself in time but if it bugs you then some high temp gasket sealer will do the trick.

Care to share who makes that pit?

So, that's an inside view, and am I seeing daylight?

I would think that the outside should be seal welded. Can you post a picture of the outside weld joint? Personally I think the inside should also have a seal weld on it.

So, that's an inside view, and am I seeing daylight?

I would think that the outside should be seal welded. Can you post a picture of the outside weld joint? Personally I think the inside should also have a seal weld on it.

Yes that is correct. Because it's a removable pipe. You slide it in and then you tighten a clamp on the outside, but the clamp doesn't completely seal it.

Will upload image later

All in all...I'd say no, that's not normal.
I'm not used to seeing the exhaust pipe attached that way at all (with the clamp), but, any other smoker no matter the method of attachment of the stack to the smoke chamber, you shouldn't see any gaps...that should be a air tight seal.

Just my $0.02,
cayenne

I guess the removability of it demands some tolerance, Some aluminum foil will seal it up though.

Gotcha. I wasn't considering a removable stack. I'd see how bad it leaks smoke first. When you remove the bolts, how much does the clamp open?

If you wrap gasket 360° it looks like you would get by with a pretty thin material. Or maybe 1/8" rope gasket would solve the problem. Or even filling the gap by forcing some aluminum foil in the leaky area.

I don't think you'll have issues. My Yoder YS640 has a removable stack and it's got way more gap than that and I have no leakage at all. Like thirdeye said, just run it and see what happens.

Yeah so my thought is... I might not have any issues with it, however... shouldn't it be better if its sealed and... is that something I can ask for a compensation for?

Honestly I am curious to see what the whole thing looks like now.

but I am with you; $1800 is a rather large chunk of change and you want to get what you pay for. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Yeah so my thought is... I might not have any issues with it, however... shouldn't it be better if its sealed and... is that something I can ask for a compensation for?

I doubt it. I don't think the clamp will ever be perfectly round. Even the heat from welding the tabs on can warp it slightly. One more thought, after it gets hot, you might get another 1/4 turn on the bolt.

But, build a fire and see. It's possible that the draft from the stack will be so strong it might not leak at the clamp.

I would get some lavalock gasket adhesive tape and add some to the inside of the clamp. It will seal and still be removable.

Back