LSG Mini vs Humphrey's DEB

Which one would you pick, and why?

• LSG Mini

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Humphrey's DEB

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters
Thanks for the economics lesson. Ever consider that he might give his (very small) network of dealers a volume discount?

I know nothing about LSG and haven't claimed to. Have you cooked on a Humphrey's? I respect your opinion that you believe the LSG is better quality but what do you base it on?

It's really about what the OP wants. Do you need a "cool touch" ash pan? Why are you removing your ash pan during a cook? I cook for 14+ hours at comps and don't touch the firebox or ash pan until it's clean up time. Do you need to fill your water pan without opening the door? What's the point? I fill my water pan 1 time per contest in my BB, then the entire pan slides out for easy cleaning and to quickly cool the smoker to load it back in the trailer.

Not trying to get into a pissing match, but it seems like instead of giving the OP what you like about your LSG, you're more interested in bashing Humphrey's.

It's all love man. Cheez likes his LSG and was communicating that. Maybe some people do like cool touch ash pan handles for immediate cleanup; and maybe some people do want to add more water during a cook without opening the door. It's all good brotha. Just tell us why you prefer your pit over the LSG. It's all constructive. I hope you've been having a successful comp season on the battle box. Those are some cool looking pits. Since I've been on this site, Cheez has been a nice dude who has only tried to be helpful. I'm sure he meant no harm.

Back to the topic, how many rail settings do have in your BB and how do you feel about the temp variances rack to rack and your overall smoke flavor. I've heard very good things and always appreciate hearing more about Humphrey's.

Ok guys can someone tell me the advantages of standard or reverse flow vs the other? Chris explained it Chad explained it, but I'm still having troubles because I hear both are the best from each builder. Which one holds temps the best top to bottom, and front to back. Which will naturally be better?

Also thanks for the info guys, but I'm still looking for Humphrey's guys to chime in a bit. Oh Chris also said they have a frame as well just like the Humphrey's. I don't know what size tubing is used in either.

Ok guys can someone tell me the advantages of standard or reverse flow vs the other? Chris explained it Chad explained it, but I'm still having troubles because I hear both are the best from each builder. Which one holds temps the best top to bottom, and front to back. Which will naturally be better?

Also thanks for the info guys, but I'm still looking for Humphrey's guys to chime in a bit. Oh Chris also said they have a frame as well just like the Humphrey's. I don't know what size tubing is used in either.

I seriously doubt there is a nickel's worth of difference in the quality of the cooked product from either style cooker.

Also any LSG guys do you know what the SS door skins serve other than aesthetics or do they have a function?

The doors are the part of the cooker that sees the most action and mess. Stainless allows you to clean the cooker much easier. Thus keeping the cooker looking good a lot longer.

Stainless allows you to clean the cooker much easier. Thus keeping the cooker looking good a lot longer.
If it's 304 stainless steel it will not rust, I have a custom framed road bike (Seven Cycles) and had the choice between going with chrome moly steel tubing or for a cost titanium, I went with titanium because it's lighter doesn't need to be painted and will not rust. I've had the bike for over 12 years now with easily over 30K miles on it and it still looks brand new.

I have a Humphreys Pint, and have never cooked on an LSG. That being said I do not regret my purchase a one single bit. Not only are Chad and Nicole stand up people who communicate extremely well with their customers, they build a heck of a fine cooker. I had wanted a vertical reverse flow for years and finally settled on the Pint for competition and home use. To be honest, it is perfectly sized and rack slots are 16 I believe....for competition you can do a whole comp with four racks. one for each meat. I cook my big meats in the pans.

Fire up and fuel usage is easy and minimal. There is no need to add much unless you are running hotter or have a charcoal that burns out quickly, we all use different stuff. You get a simple cool down and clean up and it is very easy to maintain. I made some upgrades to mine, I prefer the stainless rod racks.

Essentially I doubt you could go wrong with either, no need to bash. Getting hands on is always a plus, but living in Idaho, quite impossible to do for me. Any other specific details I can help out with, please ask.

Well the votes are pretty close right now, but the responses given, and received have not been. Not sure why, but that is the case so far.

I've done about a years worth of research, and for the money I don't think I can beat LSG. From info gathered by each builder, owners, and my own research I have come to this conclusion LSG Mini is for me.

From here on BBQB to the emails I have received back Chris is far more hands on with his customer base, and listens to what they want. Chad is a great person has answered many of my questions, but made one massive error. I was getting close to making a purchase, and I mean within a few days I got this email. It shut me down totally, and cost them around 3K in sales.

I will be out of the office from 07/02/2016 to 07/11/2016. Have a happy and safe Fourth of July holiday!

That gave me pause, and in that time frame I started re evaluating this choice vs others.

I understand people have lives, but I also understand when a person says they are close to order, and you as the owner shut the door on a potential buyer/ sale its very bad business in my eyes.

Three times I have gotten totally ignored, and had to respond multiple times to get an answer. I felt like I was pulling teeth at times. To me I got the impression I was asking too many questions, and was getting the cold shoulder because they thought I was a tire kicker. That was my feelings not saying that is what happened. I did change directions many times, but it was because I was green, and they had so many things not explained for uneducated buyers. Multi thousand dollar items should have full disclosure IMO.

I also feel LSG takes their customer input, and listens with improvements people want, and explain why it would/wouldn't be a wise choice. You can see that in the LSG thread for new owners. I read that thread when I had time because I got shut off by another manufacture.

I would like to thank everyone that has guided me over the past year or so that own many different smoker brands. You all saved me a ton of work I doubt I could have done without you. Real world knowledge is huge for me. I'm greener than a blade of grass so I really listened, and took notes. Many times off of other peoples questions.

Now once I get my smoker I will be even worse if that is possible.

Thanks everyone. Chad

Great decision. Sounds like you weighed everything out and in your mind made the decision based off what was right for you.

Only question is... You sure you want the Mini? :mrgreen:
That's the big question with LSG. Not that big a difference in price. I would probably get the mini with extra grates. But that's mainly because I have an offset for really big cooks.

What is it, $800 more for the full size?

Ask Cheez. He got the mini, and now I believe he wishes he got the big boy...

If you asked me this 3 years ago I would have thought you were all crazy for spending $800 on a cooker much less spending $800 more on a nearly $3k cooker. Him saying he's green I would assume he isn't as sick as us yet so a big $amount may not make sense to him.

That's the big question with LSG. Not that big a difference in price. I would probably get the mini with extra grates. But that's mainly because I have an offset for really big cooks.

I hate to ask, but what is a "really" big cook. Pretty sure I can cook for 50+ for ribs, and 100+ for pulled pork etc. in the mini. My billfold will never have paper in it!!!

I will be an empty nester soon so I won't have much of a crowd to cook for most the time. In the event I do a small family gathering it will be 20 or so people. I doubt I will ever cook for more than 50. Hell I live in a town that has 140 people. I can probably cook for the entire town with a mini.

I have asked about filling 7 shelves for ribs and it will work fine. Butts, and brisket no issue at all with the space a mini gives.

Well shipping is more options are more, and at the end of the day I doubt I will need 4000+ sq inches of cook space. 2700 is way more than I first figured.

Don't make me start second guess this again LOL!!!!!!!!

I have talked with a few mini owners, and they are A OK with them. I will let them chime in.

I hate to ask, but what is a "really" big cook. Pretty sure I can cook for 50+ for ribs, and 100+ for pulled pork etc. in the mini. My billfold will never have paper in it!!!

For me it's a cook bigger than my 2nd biggest cooker. You are correct on the capacity of the mini. It's a lot and even more with an extra grate or 2.

Shipping is kind of a bummer for me. I still have to get a quote w/cart. Without for the standard its $650 w lift gate service $515 for a mini. I can save a bit sending it to my work place, but then I have to worry about getting it off a truck. It saves me about $100, and IMO not worth the trouble. These things are pretty darn big.

Back