LSG Mini vs Humphrey's DEB

Which one would you pick, and why?

• LSG Mini

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Humphrey's DEB

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters
If you asked me this 3 years ago I would have thought you were all crazy for spending $800 on a cooker much less spending $800 more on a nearly $3k cooker. Him saying he's green I would assume he isn't as sick as us yet so a big $amount may not make sense to him.

My live in banker thinks I'm crazy as hell. I set a budget, and shipping puts a dent in things real quick. It amazes me how much people have in just their smokers let alone every other item that goes hand in hand as well. I haven't even brought up the Guru, knives, Thermapen, etc etc.

My live in banker thinks I'm crazy as hell. I set a budget, and shipping puts a dent in things real quick. It amazes me how much people have in just their smokers let alone every other item that goes hand in hand as well. I haven't even brought up the Guru, knives, Thermapen, etc etc.

Its real easy to get caught up in this stuff and think I really need this big bad cooker. And we are absolutely no help in helping someone use moderation. :loco: skip the guru for now and see how it runs. Odds are you won't need it.

What is it, $800 more for the full size?

Ask Cheez. He got the mini, and now I believe he wishes he got the big boy...

This is pretty much true but not to the point that I dwell on it. Only about 5% of my cooks require more space. Even then it's just because I cook some sides on it. If I cook my mac & cheese and beans in the oven then the Mini is perfect with the extra racks.

I told Burnt T that because I have a 16 year old and heavily involved in booster clubs and that I miss the standard (like Cheez 5%) of the time. I have the luxury of several pits, I only cook butts and briskets in the LSG Mini (wish I had the extra racks). So, after he graduates, the mini will serve me 100%. It wasn't about the money or space for me changing from the standard to the mini. I just felt like it was too much later down the road. I like the weight of the cooking grates, firebox, and ash pan a lot better, and as I age I look at these things. I expect this to last me years and years.

I have thought about ordering a second mini and using it until my son graduates and then passing it along to one of the kids or my FIL. I could orderone and get the door to open in the opposite direction and set it up like a side by side refrigerator, HA! Oh, how the this addiction screws with you!

This is pretty much true but not to the point that I dwell on it. Only about 5% of my cooks require more space. Even then it's just because I cook some sides on it. If I cook my mac & cheese and beans in the oven then the Mini is perfect with the extra racks.

Hmmm... Why don't you buy the mini that Cheez has (at a discounted rate due to the G! :mrgreen:) and then Cheez can order the Big Boy???

Hmmm... Just realized that I never voted... LSG back in the lead...

As for the rods, they do not take away rack positions, at least they didn't on my vertical offset. I didn't get them with the cabinet, as I just figure I can hang stuff off the top grate.

How much more fuel will I use in the standard vs the mini.

Would the mini use more if I add seven shelves, and maxed it out vs say I only order one or two more at first for the standard. Would it have better air flow, and use less.

How much more fuel will I use in the standard vs the mini.

Would the mini use more if I add seven shelves, and maxed it out vs say I only order one or two more at first for the standard. Would it have better air flow, and use less.

6 racks would have almost 4.2" spacing if i am correct on it being 31" tall in the cc. if you trim aggressively you can get a brisket in 4" of clearance. This will probably not be enough clearance for butts or really thick briskets.

7 racks would have about 3.4" of spacing. not going to get briskets on all racks at the same time. i am guessing you can get ribs and maybe chicken on these racks. of course you can always take racks out...

no idea on the amount of fuel but in my experience there is not a lot of airflow in an insulated cabinet as the intakes are kept almost closed to keep temps under control.

It's an insulated cabinet, so once you get her up to temp, the charcoal use is minimal. It takes several hours after I shut mine done to cool off. I don't have any research to base it off of, but I would think that the difference in charcoal usage between the mini and the big isn't much. I build a a large U shaped pile of charcoal (maybe 20 pounds of old and new) and wood chunks. Even for the 4th when I did two briskets and two butts, and then did two racks of ribs and a turkey, cooked for about 15 hours, I used barely over half.

I actually visited Chad Humphreys and his operation last fall in Maine. Chad and his wife Nicole are very stand up people. They build great smokers and have great customer service.

I choose to order a large Lone Star Vertical cabinet smoker due to some of the features that the Lone Star has such as the ability to fill the water pan without opening the door on the smoker, larger charcoal basket, door gaskets that can be replaced without having to glue on new ones and lockable slam latches

Amber and Chris are great people to work with both via email and over the phone.

The bottom line is they are both great companies with great products I would recommend you price both including shipping and then decide

My vote goes to LSG

6 racks would have almost 4.2" spacing if i am correct on it being 31" tall in the cc. if you trim aggressively you can get a brisket in 4" of clearance. This will probably not be enough clearance for butts or really thick briskets.

7 racks would have about 3.4" of spacing. not going to get briskets on all racks at the same time. i am guessing you can get ribs and maybe chicken on these racks. of course you can always take racks out...

no idea on the amount of fuel but in my experience there is not a lot of airflow in an insulated cabinet as the intakes are kept almost closed to keep temps under control.

I would get the 7 racks for chicken, and ribs, and small items to snack on. Brisket, and butts will be fine as well. I have seen pictures of brisket. I hinted to Chris it would be nice to see the smokers in action, and not many videos for that. He himself has a mini, and says thats his favorite smoker, and only smoker at his house.

I actually visited Chad Humphreys and his operation last fall in Maine. Chad and his wife Nicole are very stand up people. They build great smokers and have great customer service.

I choose to order a large Lone Star Vertical cabinet smoker due to some of the features that the Lone Star has such as the ability to fill the water pan without opening the door on the smoker, larger charcoal basket, door gaskets that can be replaced without having to glue on new ones and lockable slam latches

Amber and Chris are great people to work with both via email and over the phone.

The bottom line is they are both great companies with great products I would recommend you price both including shipping and then decide

My vote goes to LSG

I have, and if you are going with the larger size LSG the Humphrey's don't come close to LSG for price. I think the Pint Plus is the one you have to price out( correct me if I'm wrong?) that is close to the Standard LSG. For cooking size it figures out the exact same for sq in. It starts out stock a $3950 by the time you add up all the goodies you are at 5K + with shipping.

Once you get the options, as close as you can the mini is cheaper than the DEB as well. Not as far apart as the larger model, but still cheaper. I stopped figuring it up because I was over with the DEB, and didn't even have them equaled out yet. I think its all in what you want.

I truly think Chad is a good guy, but he turned me off by turning his back on me multiple times via email. The last time when I was ready to pull the trigger. I was just trying to figure the last few issues out before I ordered. I sent the last email 7/11, and still have not gotten anything back. That was the last straw for me because he just put me off for over a week before that. I gave him one last chance.

The other issue I have is no warranty so if you are one that has issue I don't know what would happen, but I doubt you have much to stand on. That actually has been proven a few times here.

The other telling thing for me was you don't see any Humphrey guys stating why they picked the DEB. I asked questions, and got nothing in return. Maybe one response, but just one.

Good thread... Those LSG's are looking better and better to me too.

I just have so many others made right here in GA, it'd be hard to justify paying all that dang shpping. Tough decision.

Good thread... Those LSG's are looking better and better to me too.

I just have so many others made right here in GA, it'd be hard to justify paying all that dang shpping. Tough decision.

I have to pay shipping so that is just part of it. My mind may be different if I had some made in the backyard, but still it would have to be what I wanted. I know the budget I set, and LSG is right there even with shipping.

Back