LSG Mini vs Humphrey's DEB

Which one would you pick, and why?

• LSG Mini

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Humphrey's DEB

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters
I thought each rack would hold a pan on the mini, and two on the standard that must be for the 4.

Well if I cook ribs for 20 to 30 people I would need the sides to match. I was going with the mini, and people said I would run into trouble if I wanted to cook mac n cheese or beans, and some app plus the meat in one cook. So I started looking at the standard.

So if you have 7 racks you can only do half size pans I take it full size with 4 standard at 6.750".

A full size pan is 12" by 20", yet there are also 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 & 1/9th pan sizes. These sizes are divisions of the full size pan, example a 1/2 pan would be 12"x10", a 1/4 size pan 6"x10", etc.

Depths of these Pans vary: 2", 4" & 6". The aluminum disposable pans are a bit smaller and 1/2" less in depth, since they were made to drop into the standard hotel or steam table pans.

Based on the available depth of disposable aluminum pans being 1-1/2", 3-1/2" and 5-1/2", you can see the issue of using rack spacing of approximately 3.25" in the full 7 rack layout. There would be very little air circulation space with pans over 1-1/2" in depth.

Note: The above dimensions are interior dimensions, and rounded for simplicity.

Its hard for me to word the question. I'm thinking if I get the standard its racks are 10" wider, and 2" deeper. People where talking about sides, and appetizers taking up a ton of space in the mini, and would limit the meat you can cook if I got 7 racks. 2 racks would be used for say app, and a pan of beans.

So I was just seeing if I could get more or less use out of the 4 larger racks of the standard. 1 rack can hold two pans so I thought I might gain or lose a bit with the 3 shelves vs the 5 in the mini because of how the SQ inches are in each. Am I making any sense at all?

I did a bit of research on sides and here is what I have found..

Beans - Average serving size is 1/2 cup or about 4.6 ozs. A 1/2 size medium height foil pad ( 10 w" x 12" l x 3.5" h) will hold approx 1.5 gallons of beans, enough to server 35 to 30 people,

Mac and Cheese - Average serving size is 1 cup or about 8.6 ozs. A full size medium foil pad will hod enough for approximately 25 to 30 folks.

If you we using the standard 6.75" rack spacing, all of this would fit on 3/4 of a full size LSG standard rack, but it would take 1 - 1/2 racks on a Mini .

If you were using the 1-1/2" deep pans, you would have to double the pans to 1 full size pan for beans and 2 full size pans for the mack and cheese. This would mean if you were using the 7 rack spacing, you would use 3 racks in a mini or 1-1/2 racks in a large cabinet for these sides.

Burnt to a T,

One other thought I just had... Most sides are going to take about 1 hour or less in a 250* smoker and something like Mac and Cheese will have to have the pasta boiled before adding the cheese and fixings. Depending on the protein being cooked, you could and most likely would, put the sides on after the protein was pulled off and being held.

Burnt to a T,

One other thought I just had... Most sides are going to take about 1 hour or less in a 250* smoker and something like Mac and Cheese will have to have the pasta boiled before adding the cheese and fixings. Depending on the protein being cooked, you could and most likely would, put the sides on after the protein was pulled off and being held.

What made you pick the Standard over the Mini?

What made you pick the Standard over the Mini?

For the minimal price difference ($445.00) I felt the extra space and ability to place 2 full sized hotel pans side by side made much more sense.

On 4 racks I figure I can Do 5 to 6 Pork Butts, 3 to 4 Packer Briskets and 5 to 6 racks OK Ribs, by adding a 4th grate I can add either 5 of 6 more racks of Ribs or 3 or 4 chickens.

That is close to twice what could be done in the Mini.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing my LSG it should work perfectly for the winters here.

Need to replace my old stickburner as well for summer, but want some cooks on the insulated prior to looking into that.

Swole, are you still getting yours?

-D

Looking forward to seeing my LSG it should work perfectly for the winters here.

Need to replace my old stickburner as well for summer, but want some cooks on the insulated prior to looking into that.

Swole, are you still getting yours?

-D

I'm still debating as I type... I'm trying to decide what my best move is. After losing so much income due to this injury, I'm torn. It won't "break" me, but not having that income to pay for the smoker and my trip to TX will certainly set me back a good ways from where I thought I'd be.

If I do get it still, I'm more than likely going to back it down to the "Mini" and shave a few options. Two reasons: I'll save about $500 that way and after seeing the "Mini" in person when John (Cheez59) invited me up for Labor day, I Seriously realized that I would more than likely NEVER need the cooking space of the Regular size. The "Mini" is Way bigger than I realized. Funny how pics and vids, no matter how many you see, never did it justice on the size.

And also, If I do get it, I'll more than like have to sell the Yoder YS480 I bought off CL too. Just to help me feel better about spending the money on the LSG. I'll have it, my offset "The Wrist Breaker" (officially named now), and my Large and Mini Eggs.

I'm about to email Chris and let him know what I'm thinking, and see what that does to my order as far as price and timing.

Hey BS:p,
I like the option of going to the back of the line. Gives you more time and maybe you will be in a better financial place. Sorry about the BS thing...it just came to me and I couldn't resist. Maybe it'll catch on. :pound: oh well...at least you don't know where I live.

Hey BS:p,
I like the option of going to the back of the line. Gives you more time and maybe you will be in a better financial place. Sorry about the BS thing...it just came to me and I couldn't resist. Maybe it'll catch on. :pound: oh well...at least you don't know where I live.

"BS"

Well I've been called way worse LOLOL
And I'll answer to just about anything anyway...lol

The old nickname has just been shortened to "Swole".... and the meaning has definitely changed over the years too. To my modifying Diesels to go fast Friends, it turned into a meaning of Blowing stuff up... I "Swoled" a BUNCH of engines and parts a few years back making my trucks go Stupid fast and have over 1000 HP!

Here's a vid of the truck I sold last year... Made 1053 HP at the wheels, weighed 7100 lbs with me in it and went 10's in the 1/4 mile.

Anyway...call me what you like...All good my Friend :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sgubqnDa64[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXNpgvNsI2k[/ame]

^^

That's awesome Swole. Did the guy behind the wheel of the Z06 fall asleep or something?

^^

That's awesome Swole. Did the guy behind the wheel of the Z06 fall asleep or something?

Yeah, he was "sleeping" a bit as we say...lol

Here's the time slip. It was actually less than a second on the tree but time doesn't start until you break the beam.

ET is only calculated after the beam is broken. (you prob know that). I could have waited over a full second and still beat him. It was a stock ZO6 (505hp) but obviously weighed about Half of what my truck weighed.

6FA12C86-46B7-4D0A-B1BA-4EC7A4E73C79_zpsdxtcxt92.jpg

Not doubting at all. I've got a C6 non Z06 and was just my observation on his weak start that's all.

I've had my ass handed to me by some diesel trucks before. :biggrin1:
Yeah, he was "sleeping" a bit as we say...lol

Here's the time slip. It was actually less than a second on the tree but time doesn't start until you break the beam.

ET is only calculated after the beam is broken. (you prob know that). I could have waited over a full second and still beat him. It was a stock ZO6 (505hp) but obviously weighed about Half of what my truck weighed.

6FA12C86-46B7-4D0A-B1BA-4EC7A4E73C79_zpsdxtcxt92.jpg

Not doubting at all. I've got a C6 non Z06 and was just my observation on his weak start that's all.

I've had my ass handed to me by some diesel trucks before. :biggrin1:

All good!!

I'm a car and motorcycle guy at heart. Been doing both all my life. Hence all my injuries and surgeries (motorcycles).

I love anything fast. :)

Anyway...Sorry for the HiJack of the thread but since Burnt to a T seems to be MIA, I guess he won't mind LOL

Wonder where he got off to..... He just disappeared after all that debating.

All good!!

I'm a car and motorcycle guy at heart. Been doing both all my life. Hence all my injuries and surgeries (motorcycles).

I love anything fast. :)

Anyway...Sorry for the HiJack of the thread but since Burnt to a T seems to be MIA, I guess he won't mind LOL

Wonder where he got off to..... He just disappeared after all that debating.

:thumb:

Was wondering what happened to him also when I saw this thread resurrected. He used to post up regularly.

Back