THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I asked him about rods in the IVC and he said it wasn't a problem. We also talked about getting the extra rails and using dowels as makeshift rods as an alternative.

I asked him about rods in the IVC and he said it wasn't a problem. We also talked about getting the extra rails and using dowels as makeshift rods as an alternative.

Thanks mac93, it's another layer to the discussion. Until your post, I was operating on the assumption that VO was the only LSG game in town for hanging food.

I was thinking that sausage rods would pierce the insulation or screw up the IVC's performance. Do you have the IVC with sausage rods? If so, how have they performed?

Not yet. I'm got in queue two weeks ago after going back and forth on the VO vs The IVC. They aren't expensive adds; but, after talking to Chris and I opted to exclude them from my order given the alternatives available to hang with dowels/rebar in the top rail slot, or off the top rack itself. Thought it would be something else I bought that I wouldn't really use and maybe something else to store/get lost.

Not yet. I'm got in queue two weeks ago after going back and forth on the VO vs The IVC. They aren't expensive adds; but, after talking to Chris and I opted to exclude them from my order given the alternatives available to hang with dowels/rebar in the top rail slot, or off the top rack itself. Thought it would be something else I bought that I wouldn't really use and maybe something else to store/get lost.

Congrats in advance! It looks like this thread is thinking you did already. I am a stickler about the idea of puncturing the inner layer of steel. I was wondering if simply buying PBC hooks and hanging them directly from the top grate and removing the ones below.

Aaaaiiigtt! You can tell by the time stamp that's its ungodly late. Both our kids had nightmares and they spooled each other up. I'm doing two briskets and a rack of St. Louis spares right now as well. This is normally the window when Flame Boss 300 buys me four hours shut eye.

Planning for third kid and knowing how utterly a$$ tired I feel as I'm writing this, that IVC just catapulted a few percentages ahead. The thought that I could be asleep at this moment and I wouldn't had to have reloaded the basket with lump and sticks just made it WAY more attractive. We met the landscape contractor Friday night so I'm more confident than not that I'll have an LSG. As to which LSG , low maintenance is getting more important

Maybe the universe is telling me something in the middle of this sleep deprivation and this decision making thread. Scorecard : IVC 56 / VO 44 (Pstores stop that voodoo on my head !!)

Last edited:
Might as well get a WSM at this point lol

It's crossed my mind for sure! How long of a stable unattended burn do you get on your WSM?

Ssv3, if you're out there, legend has it that you use charcoal baskets to good effect on your VO . How long can you achieve a steady stable temp with the basket topped off?

Russ Jones did 10 hours.......I think that was just your fatigue talking this morning.

True dat 5280!! You're funny cause I was the dude talking about Russ in an earlier post and I guess that all leaked out the ears at 4am with my ears still ringing from two continuous hours of shrieking.

Curious if ssv3 or some of the other VO champions have eeked out longer than 10 hours of burn time filling the basket to the brim with briquettes

True dat 5280!! You're funny cause I was the dude talking about Russ in an earlier post and I guess that all leaked out the ears at 4am with my ears still ringing from two continuous hours of shrieking.

Curious if ssv3 or some of the other VO champions have eeked out longer than 10 hours of burn time filling the basket to the brim with briquettes

A bit over 8 hours with 2x18lbs K-Comp briqs is how long it ran. I warmed up the pit with the charcoal also which took some time. Had I pre-warmed with splits at first it would run about 10 hours. Takes a while for the 1400lbs of steel to warm up when using charcoal. :becky:

Here's a very well documented link with pics of the first ever cook using the charcoal basket. A bunch of detailed info on pages 6 of the below link (post#85) that I answered Bill regarding his charcoal basket questions back then.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228700

A bit over 8 hours with 2x18lbs K-Comp briqs is how long it ran. I warmed up the pit with the charcoal also which took some time. Had I pre-warmed with splits at first it would run about 10 hours. Takes a while for the 1400lbs of steel to warm up when using charcoal. :becky:

Here's a very well documented link with pics of the first ever cook using the charcoal basket. A bunch of detailed info on pages 6 of the below link (post#85) that I answered Bill regarding his charcoal basket questions back then.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228700

Ssv3, Very impressive Sunday Funday thread indeed!

My take away is that the basket is certainly a valuable set and forget tool knowing that it can maintain steady temps for hours .

As you pointed out, your cook started late and you had to crank more of the coals to get the rig up to temp. What's your take on the 200,000 BTU gas assist option? I figure it'd be a way to get up to temp fast while still preserving longevity of the coals in basket

I have a Hunsaker vortex box in my WSM and it runs 16 hours at 225, 10 hours at 300. It's my brisket/butt cooker because I can't do that with a stick burner unless I am on vacation or intend to call in sick the next working day.

I have a Hunsaker vortex box in my WSM and it runs 16 hours at 225, 10 hours at 300. It's my brisket/butt cooker because I can't do that with a stick burner unless I am on vacation or intend to call in sick the next working day.

Good point! What will always be caveman excitement does eventually yield to practicality. This tips into IVC wheelhouse. It is pretty dang impressive when a cooker can run 30 hours unattended. Btw, are you in queue for a Shirley?

Good point! What will always be caveman excitement does eventually yield to practicality. This tips into IVC wheelhouse. It is pretty dang impressive when a cooker can run 30 hours unattended. Btw, are you in queue for a Shirley?

Yes sir. Q1 2019. Sounds depressing but that's what other cookers are for!

Aaaaiiigtt! You can tell by the time stamp that's its ungodly late. Both our kids had nightmares and they spooled each other up. I'm doing two briskets and a rack of St. Louis spares right now as well. This is normally the window when Flame Boss 300 buys me four hours shut eye.

Planning for third kid and knowing how utterly a$$ tired I feel as I'm writing this, that IVC just catapulted a few percentages ahead. The thought that I could be asleep at this moment and I wouldn't had to have reloaded the basket with lump and sticks just made it WAY more attractive. We met the landscape contractor Friday night so I'm more confident than not that I'll have an LSG. As to which LSG , low maintenance is getting more important

Maybe the universe is telling me something in the middle of this sleep deprivation and this decision making thread. Scorecard : IVC 56 / VO 44 (Pstores stop that voodoo on my head !!)

Been trying to tell you.... Set it and sleep like a baby for 30 plus hours if you wish....... Then you can enjoy BBQ as its meant to be. Add more kids getting older less time. Equals no BBQ time. IVC ensures sleep, BBQ, and quality time with the kiddos.... Just a thought..

Been trying to tell you.... Set it and sleep like a baby for 30 plus hours if you wish....... Then you can enjoy BBQ as its meant to be. Add more kids getting older less time. Equals no BBQ time. IVC ensures sleep, BBQ, and quality time with the kiddos.... Just a thought..

Take the kids, tie them up, put duct tape on their mouths and get a stick burner...... :shocked:

I agree with you, by the way...

Congrats Czarbecue! It looks like we are heading in similar paths. We both want a stick burner and a set and forget. Little bit of trivia: Czar is the Russian word for Caesar

Wife saw the price tag of the 30x70 trailer and was like okay, that looks reasonable. But who buys their car with the basic options? Cue the evil laugh...

I went with Czar instead of Tsar.... too confusing like General Tsao's chicken.

Pstores and springram, you two are like devils sitting on my shoulder!! I'm hearing you guys loud and clear on IVC. I'm even playing scenarios of later getting a Santa Maria with removable griddle plate if I end up dying to turn and burn.

Czar, with a name like that, gotta shoot for the moon with the 30 x 70 Shirley!! I know it's gonna be a rig worthy of a dynasty

Back