LSG IVC vs VO with Insulated Firebox Questions

Let ask this question? Why can't you burn sticks in IVC? Smaller sticks and smaller fire. More tending.... ummmm......

How much cooking space do you require for this set/forget wood burning cooker? You might not like/want a cabinet smoker.
I will mention, that if you are a looker/cooker. Meaning if you do alot of checks on your food so you can rotate,flip etc when required.
That is how I learned and still prefer today. And do not like to run probes. The Shirley's, Langs, my home built, etc offset cookers I've used all recover well and you do not get spikes in the temps after closing the lid. My modified cabinet smoker I ended up making a close out panel I install/remove between the coals and cook chamber. I close the intake and install the close out and then I can rotate, flip, change meats what ever without the big temp spikes that occurred in it's original form. Insulated panels hold that heat for a long time.
Just a thought.
I burn pure wood in my UDS/with access door 80% of the time. It still runs like a regular drum for really long smokes using coal/wood, 17hrs at 275*. No controller required. But I could use if I wanted. The temp spikes in my UDS's are very minimal and return to set temp within 15 mins. Not so with an insulated cabinet. Some add cold water into the water pan to help with the temp spikes.
Just something to think about.
This is my experience.

Coming back full circle, I'm curious what your take would be on the VO with insulated FB with a charcoal basket filled to brim and stoker? I'm waffling again wondering if maybe VO with charcoal basket is a half A$$ set and forget that still allow me to go caveman

Smoky ribs did an overnight cook on his LSG offset with his basket and a CyberQ and if I remember correctly he was pretty happy. His firebox isn't insulated either so an insulated one should only help. Here's the YouTube video for your viewing pleasure.

[ame]https://youtu.be/GWnYlJWd2YE[/ame]

Never cooked on one, never had any food off of one, but there seem to be a lot of
drum smokers showing up and WINNING contests these days.

I've used the warming oven on my LSG as a mini smoker before using a charcoal basket and BBQ Guru to run it. I think I got something like 6 or 8 hours at 250 off of one full bag of Kingsford. I'm about to have a guy make me a metal baffle I can drop into the main chamber to completely seal it off while cooking this way which I think would make it more efficient. Now that I've got my patio setup done, I plan on a messing around with this some more after the summer heat finally starts to lay off a bit.

EDIT: Ill caveat this by saying it might have gone longer but I pulled whatever I was cooking that day between 6 and 8 hours.

Last edited:
I've used the warming oven on my LSG as a mini smoker before using a charcoal basket and BBQ Guru to run it. I think I got something like 6 or 8 hours at 250 off of one full bag of Kingsford. I'm about to have a guy make me a metal baffle I can drop into the main chamber to completely seal it off while cooking this way which I think would make it more efficient. Now that I've got my patio setup done, I plan on a messing around with this some more after the summer heat finally starts to lay off a bit.

EDIT: Ill caveat this by saying it might have gone longer but I pulled whatever I was cooking that day between 6 and 8 hours.

Thanks Jack! I'll be curious how the after market baffle mod will change the function of the cooker. Would you mind sending a pic once you get it ?

Your VO with warmer oven really is like two rigs running in parallel. It's another layer especially if that metal baffle boosts efficiency. I'll stay tuned for sure

I went from a WSM. to the large VO with the oven, to the large cabinet model. The VO required more time and care than I appreciated, so I didn't use it as much and eventually sold it. You like fiddling with the fire, so maybe a cabinet is not for you. But, having it and the Shirley would let you produce great BBQ, whether you wanted and had time to play with fire, or were dog a$$ tired or busy doing yard work / honey-do's.

I went from a WSM. to the large VO with the oven, to the large cabinet model. The VO required more time and care than I appreciated, so I didn't use it as much and eventually sold it. You like fiddling with the fire, so maybe a cabinet is not for you. But, having it and the Shirley would let you produce great BBQ, whether you wanted and had time to play with fire, or were dog a$$ tired or busy doing yard work / honey-do's.

Thanks Terry!

This is the kind of intel I've been thirsting for. I was 49/51 until I logged on and saw your post!! Now I'm 51/49!! Your input is compelling given that you've owned both rigs mentioned. Maybe it's IVC by a whisker until I log on again...

Coming back full circle, I'm curious what your take would be on the VO with insulated FB with a charcoal basket filled to brim and stoker? I'm waffling again wondering if maybe VO with charcoal basket is a half A$$ set and forget that still allow me to go caveman

I would say that a VO with an insulated FB with a charcoal basket and stoker would be kind of a set it and forget it but it's hard to know for sure until you try it.

50/50!! I should just buy em both but that's too much coin :)

I've been also scouring the PM side and some guys have gotten 6-8 hours with a basket in the VO, which is decent but not the mighty 30 hours of IVC

Dude your killing me. I can't imagine what you are doing to yourself. :pound: The cooker decision process is for real and it is brutal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dude your killing me. I can't imagine what you are doing to yourself. :pound: The cooker decision process is for real and it is brutal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I hear you Paul. I don't think I've been this hung up on a choice in a long time .

Good news is I was planting subliminal messages to the wife tonight to the effect of "so what I'm thinking is once we pour the concrete for my BBQ pad, two cookers would let me have enough capacity for the school fundraiser."

I was wincing waiting for a shoot down....but no objection!! (Cue fist pump). She merely kept talking about a pergola to provide shade over the large patio!! Thus, this whole IVC vs VO may finally be more than just academic

I hear you Paul. I don't think I've been this hung up on a choice in a long time .

Good news is I was planting subliminal messages to the wife tonight to the effect of "so what I'm thinking is once we pour the concrete for my BBQ pad, two cookers would let me have enough capacity for the school fundraiser."

I was wincing waiting for a shoot down....but no objection!! (Cue fist pump). She merely kept talking about a pergola to provide shade over the large patio!! Thus, this whole IVC vs VO may finally be more than just academic

Well, pergola and the another baby thing. She already put one requirement out there. Don't forget, cause they add up.

Well, pergola and the another baby thing. She already put one requirement out there. Don't forget, cause they add up.

Haha! Good point . I figure Pergola + Baby = Cooker

Now, if I can just change it up so it reads Pergola + Baby = IVC + VO + New Truck, THEN we gotta deal :)

Smoky ribs did an overnight cook on his LSG offset with his basket and a CyberQ and if I remember correctly he was pretty happy. His firebox isn't insulated either so an insulated one should only help. Here's the YouTube video for your viewing pleasure.

https://youtu.be/GWnYlJWd2YE

Kids finally asleep and I got a chance to watch smokyribs video. Btw, Russ Jones is one of my favorite bbq personalities.

His review is powerful to me cause I've been following him for a while. As you might have seen in my other posts, my next stoker will need to have more firepower.

I'm wondering if VO with bbq guru pit bull is my best all around bet to have medium range set and forget (10 hours for Russ at 225) while still enjoying poking at a flaming heap of logs. Now, the end game of getting one here!

Just wondering where your at in the decision making process? Which one won?

The judge and jury is the wife. She is still in the deliberative phase. It's looking good and it comes down to budget because we have to do our backyard this autumn with new concrete poured (BBQ pad of course!).

I'll keep you posted, amigo. In my heart, and I know you'll be disappointed, I'm 53% favoring VO and 47% favoring IVC. It's just the caveman in me that I can't seem to shut off. I like the idea of being able to open a lid, pull out a poker, and stab at flaming logs. Call me a pyro, but it's that direct access to flame that would probably make me like the VO just a hair more--the fun factor.

Over time, I've been admiring JacksBBQ rig, which is an LSG VO with 1/2 inch thick firebox and warming oven on top of the firebox. This is the place that I'm in as of the time of this post. More to follow Brethren...

Finally able to chime in on this since I'm back stateside.

You're heart is set on the VO but you're convincing yourself to get IV. You've got a badass stick burner already so I suppose it makes sense to get the IV but the LSG VO is a whole another animal. :twisted:

I'd say sell the Shirley (plenty of takers I'm sure) then and get the LSG VO or get both the LSG VO & IV. :noidea:

:becky:

It's all good.... Your money and your cooker. Only you can decide what's best. If it were me and I was retired. VO would be nice. But, I love that I can do a nice 16 hour Brisket and not have to tend the fire for the entire 16 hours. Only reason I say the IVC...... You have a kickass stick burner already.... The combination of the two in use..... Would be ultimate in versitility. Start things on the Shirley... Finish on the IVC for long cooks. Shirley to play with fire and IVC for finishing and holding.mor to compliment the Shirley. But as I said. Only you can decide what best for you.

Back