LSG IVC vs VO with Insulated Firebox Questions

I'd vote for the IVC for 2nd rig in Colorado. The IVC would give you the perfect cold weather smoking rig. Not to mention charcoal is easier to come by out west than oak.

Re: insulated fireboxes on VOs, they won't extend burn times. You'll still have to feed wood at about the same rate. IFB mainly serve to reduce to amount of fuel needed to maintain a given temp. The reduction in fuel burned also reduces the amount of smoke generated. Which may or may not be an advantage based on what you're cooking. Goodluck!

Thanks Springram and JacksBBQ,

I think I would be pushing marital limits if I asked for both. I too want to get into hanging meat because the old country ways of Europe involved smoke shacks where meat was dangled vertically. It just jives with the science of hot air and smoke rising.

Anybody out there with both a VO of any brand AND an IVC of any brand? It's wild how even my PMs that I've sent are truly on the fence with 1/2 saying VO and the other half saying IVC. Decisions, decisions.

If it were me I would keep the SF and get a LSG mini. To meet your needs for "old country ways of Europe" do what Cowgirl Jeanie did and build one of these.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html

Alrighty! I'm getting excited about how the planning is taking shape. Just watched Chris and his mini IVC seasoning video and I can see it's utility. Anybody with a mini IVC wishing they went big?

I've found a photo of what I'd get. The Brethren will laugh at my wife's response when I showed her this pic. "I think we should have another child !!"

Hmmm....looks like I may be +1 in smoker department and +1 in the kid department in the not too distant future. It also may mean that I'll be looking large size instead of mini (daydreaming of high school varsity events with team mates). Just a window into the not-so-notorious life!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 173
I've found a photo of what I'd get. The Brethren will laugh at my wife's response when I showed her this pic. "I think we should have another child !!"

Hmmm....looks like I may be +1 in smoker department and +1 in the kid department in the not too distant future. It also may mean that I'll be looking large size instead of mini (daydreaming of high school varsity events with team mates). Just a window into the not-so-notorious life!!!

I know "going big or not at all' sounds good but with your family and the fact you have a Shirley patio, the mini from LSG will more than meet your needs. But..as I have mentioned before in this thread, get want YOU want (assuming wife approves..ha ha ).

I know "going big or not at all' sounds good but with your family and the fact you have a Shirley patio, the mini from LSG will more than meet your needs. But..as I have mentioned before in this thread, get want YOU want (assuming wife approves..ha ha ).

So true. I may be "voluntold" that I'll be getting a mini. As I keep poring over the LSG site, it's only 500 more bucks for twice the capacity. That's what makes me think it's wise to get the extra infrastructure now

Typos happen even when ordering something as important as a cooker...just saying

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Haha!! I could say the cell connection was poor that day and Chris or Amber simply didn't hear "mini" in front of IVC and Voila , a full size IVC shows up.

Oh well, I guess I'll just do them a favor and hang onto it just so I'm not the difficult customer always sending things back (cue devil on shoulder appearing)

I would say since you have one of the best stick burners made..... Buy one of the best IVC's made. With the that said. If your trying to decide between mini and large. Yes price point not a lot of difference. If it was me... I would do a cart hands down. If it meant me going to a mini vs a large to get the cart. I would get the mini with the cart. I love my cart....

Having transitioned over to IVC , how much do you miss your meadow creek? I agree with your sentiments that I've got an awesome stick burner and I still worry about boredom with the IVC. What say you?

Having transitioned over to IVC , how much do you miss your meadow creek? I agree with your sentiments that I've got an awesome stick burner and I still worry about boredom with the IVC. What say you?
Bored? That's when you use the shirley. Am I missing something?

Bored? That's when you use the shirley. Am I missing something?

Nope, nothing missed Paul. I'm just mentally trying to wrap my brain around a 3000 purchase that isn't as much caveman fun as the Shirley. I know IVC churns magnificent Que. I just have to fully embrace the idea of a cooker that's set and then I walk away for half a day.

It's almost like a Cadillac. Some people sing the praises of the refinements. Others say it's too detached from the road and too far removed. That's all I'm trying to say

I actually prefer set it and forget it because my time is valuable and I don't want to sit around all day tending a wood fire. I also don't want to source the wood, split it, stack it or mess with it.

I get that it's enjoyable for some to do that but it's just not for me. You know yourself so if set it and forget it is not what you like, spending $3,000 would be foolish.

I don't have either of the smokers that you are considering so I can't help you there. Good luck on choosing the next one.

Wayne

I actually prefer set it and forget it because my time is valuable and I don't want to sit around all day tending a wood fire. I also don't want to source the wood, split it, stack it or mess with it.

I get that it's enjoyable for some to do that but it's just not for me. You know yourself so if set it and forget it is not what you like, spending $3,000 would be foolish.

I don't have either of the smokers that you are considering so I can't help you there. Good luck on choosing the next one.

Wayne

Coming back full circle, I'm curious what your take would be on the VO with insulated FB with a charcoal basket filled to brim and stoker? I'm waffling again wondering if maybe VO with charcoal basket is a half A$$ set and forget that still allow me to go caveman

Coming back full circle, I'm curious what your take would be on the VO with insulated FB with a charcoal basket filled to brim and stoker? I'm waffling again wondering if maybe VO with charcoal basket is a half A$$ set and forget that still allow me to go caveman
I think this is trying fit a round peg into a square hole and I'm guessing you are planning of letting the Shirley go to get a new cooker?

If you would like the best of both worlds you may have to look elsewhere, Brethren made Ironside Smokers which can burn charcoal or straight sticks, you could also look at the Pitmaker Edge which is a fully insulated offset cabinet smoker, not sure how much attending the Edge needs but you could contact Pitmaker and the the quality of their cookers are second to none.

I think this is trying fit a round peg into a square hole and I'm guessing you are planning of letting the Shirley go to get a new cooker?

If you would like the best of both worlds you may have to look elsewhere, Brethren made Ironside Smokers which can burn charcoal or straight sticks, you could also look at the Pitmaker Edge which is a fully insulated offset cabinet smoker, not sure how much attending the Edge needs but you could contact Pitmaker and the the quality of their cookers are second to none.

Thanks amigo! I'm gonna chase both these leads. I'm gonna do my darndest to keep Shirley. This will be in addition to Shirley. I just don't want to get too far away from caveman roots. Point taken that maybe I really need a blazing open fire I can jab at on demand. I'll just need a bit more "civilization " with a nod to my inner Neanderthal

SSV3 has used his with charcoal. It'll work. I don't think he used a stoker though.

Back