IVC vs UDS - Help Me Understand

mbrass

Knows what a fatty is.
I’m looking to downsize from a large offset. I’m looking for a smaller footprint, and something that requires less of my attention (I have small kids).

I loved the flavor from my Offset. If I had the space and time, it’s perfect. I’ve had a pellet popper, they have their place, but in my opinion can’t match an offset Brisket.

I thought I was set on getting a Hunsaker. They’re beautiful, seem to be great cookers, and the SS model would look great on my porch. I was at LSG yesterday (I live nearby and have an SM on order) and saw the “Mini”. They’re pellet cooker is also really impressive, but again, I’m looking for more smoke flavor.

The “Mini” isn’t cheap. None of the premium IVCs are. It’s beautiful. For anyone that’s cooked on both, how is an IVC different from a Hunsaker or other premium Drum? Same flavor? Obviously the IVCs hold more, and they’re a lot more $$$, but any other differences?

If you had $3K to spend, would you get a really nice IVC, or go with a Hunsaker and save some coin? I love the the portability of the Hunsaker, but I doubt I’d ever move it or take it anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned both the large LSG IVC and Hunsaker. Both are excellent units and I had great results from them. I kept the IVC in my garage, and it was rather large/heavy to move in and out. The drum was easy to move. Both were easy to start/maintain temps with.

I have owned both the large LSG IVC and Hunsaker. Both are excellent units and I had great results from them. I kept the IVC in my garage, and it was rather large/heavy to move in and out. The drum was easy to move. Both were easy to start/maintain temps with.

Awesome. Did you prefer the food off one vs the other? Was the Smoke flavor the same, or was one heavier?

The most I’ve ever cooked at one time, and I’ve only done this a few times, was something like 2 Briskets a Turkey breast and sausage. Most of the time, it’s one Brisket, or 2 STL Ribs and one other smaller cut. So, I don’t really care about the capacity as much as I do the flavor. Just want the cooker that will get me the best end product.

I just built a drum smoker similar to a Himsaker
I will be seasoning it today. I am curious about gravity. Fed smokers/grills. Masterbuilt has the 1050 amd many other builders have them.
With 3I you have a lot of options

I had an OK Joe Bronco as a UDS and picked up a Humphreys Battle Box as my IVC. Gave away the UDS to a buddy who still uses it. I would say the product that comes off the two is comparable. Typically with the IVC you're getting better fuel efficiency, reduced temp swings associated with environmental factors, and increased capacity. The trade off is the longer start up times and weight of the unit. I do miss the UDS because of how easy it was to start up & maintain temp after the fact, but I don't miss it for the firebox management or the winter cooking fuel consumption. The other bit is that the IVCs are typically so efficient that you have to be deliberate in your placement of wood chunks in reference to the burning charcoal front. If you scatter them about, like you might in a UDS firebox, then they might not get lit until very late in the cook. If you want wood smoke applied early in the process you need to put them close to the burning front of charcoals. After a while you get a feel for the burn rate of your IVC & can dial it in. My initial few cooks on weren't as impressive from a smoke profile stand point, but now I don't have any trouble with it.

Overall I think that the IVC edges out the UDS on quality of product, but like I mentioned above there are trade offs associated with each style. If you live in a mostly warm place the IVC can be a bit overkill for the type of weather it's going to be used in.

Not sure if that helps answer to your questions, but you might also shop around for other IVC makers to compare to. There are lots out there with slightly different flavors

KAT
T&K Smokers
Humphreys
270 Smokers
Assassin
Southern Q
Backwoods Smokers
Iron Side smokers
Stumps

and more.

Good luck in your choice.

I do not recall preferring one over the other or a discernable smoke flavor difference. The IVC can has a serious amount of cooking space, and it was rock solid once to temperature.

Awesome. Did you prefer the food off one vs the other? Was the Smoke flavor the same, or was one heavier?

The most I’ve ever cooked at one time, and I’ve only done this a few times, was something like 2 Briskets a Turkey breast and sausage. Most of the time, it’s one Brisket, or 2 STL Ribs and one other smaller cut. So, I don’t really care about the capacity as much as I do the flavor. Just want the cooker that will get me the best end product.

Your location is your answer. Drive up to Willis, shake hands with the man who made your smoker. Take it home and enjoy.

I went from a vertical offset to a KAT Small Vault cooker. The smoke profile, for me personally, is better on the IVC. While my offset gave great smoke flavor, it was also easy to produce nasty white smoke if you weren't careful. With the vault you can really dial it in as you get more experience.

Also, just curious: why would you move your smoker? If it was a competition I could understand, but if I'm going camping I want a grill, not to maintain a smoker all day long in the great outdoors. Are you taking it to a friend's house to smoke there all day and drink beer???

I went from a vertical offset to a KAT Small Vault cooker. The smoke profile, for me personally, is better on the IVC. While my offset gave great smoke flavor, it was also easy to produce nasty white smoke if you weren't careful. With the vault you can really dial it in as you get more experience.

Also, just curious: why would you move your smoker? If it was a competition I could understand, but if I'm going camping I want a grill, not to maintain a smoker all day long in the great outdoors. Are you taking it to a friend's house to smoke there all day and drink beer???

Thanks! As far as moving it goes, you’ve got it. The ability to take to a friends house, or to the in-laws to cook for the Holidays.

Back