LSG IVC vs VO with Insulated Firebox Questions

Just read and replied over there. Back to this thread , 11 hours cruising at 250 is pretty darn good with VO guru and basket. I'm like 45 IVC / 55 VO at this point. This is where I vote until the Mrs could overrule me and say IVC . I'd be happy as a clam with either one :)

:mad2::boxing::pray::pray::hand: = no IVC....

I know, I know Pstores. I hope you can sense my sheepish look coming off the screen. I just think 11 hours is a strong enough to still scratch my caveman itch of stabbing at flaming logs. All this could be reversed in a heartbeat by the wife at a moments notice

I am still on one load of charcoal for the last 24 hours.... Just add wood when I want to cook. Oops wrong pic, now right pic. Brisket goes on tonight...... Run 235 on it. But I can say it just purrs along.... 16 hour Brsket cook...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I have used about what you see in charcoal the last 24 hours running at 170 and a quick brat cook at 210........ Adding wood pellets or stick when I am cooking.... Almost doesn't make sense in turning it off during the weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 110
I have used about what you see in charcoal the last 24 hours running at 170 and a quick brat cook at 210........ Adding wood pellets or stick when I am cooking.... Almost doesn't make sense in turning it off during the weekend.

Ooohhh, man Pstores!! Even though my inclination is VO , if my wife saw your last two posts, it would clinch it in favor of IVC.

Her two lines of questions:

1) why do you have to go out to the fire so many times?

2) why do we have so much charcoal and wood?

I'll confess that IVC settles both those questions in a blink. BUT DA CAVEMAN keeps trying to burst loose from his moorings and rage with a fire visible for miles around, stabbing at flaming logs with glee. Man, I can't decide, its painfully clear I've got analysis paralysis

I've got it. Get the lnsulated cooker and get you a burn barrel and burn trash while you cook. Then you could still poke at a fire.:becky:

I've got it. Get the lnsulated cooker and get you a burn barrel and burn trash while you cook. Then you could still poke at a fire.:becky:

Haha! I was admiring a documentary on Scott bbq of South Carolina. Man, tons of respect for the artistry that goes into their whole hog. They took what looked like decommissioned 250 gallon tanks, cut the end caps off, stood them vertically, cut large holes for truck axles to crisscross (super fire grate), and put what looked like half a tree into there to burn down to coals at the bottom.

They then shoveled crimson red coals into their smoke house pits doing about a dozen hogs at a time. Pure magic. If I won that 700 million powerball, I'd be the coal shoveling dude just for the love and smell of it all!

Any-hoo, back to my own thread, you've heard politics is like making sausage. In my homes marital politics, VO may get overruled and changed to IVC. Just to be crystal clear, I'll be fist pumping with either of these beauties. They're both marvels unto themselves and I'll be sharing how it all shakes out.

Damn. Jack's cook has me thinking about changing my order with Chris. How much wood gets used in a typical 12 hour cook? The flexibility of the VO with the warmer is hard to ignore. I'm assuming the products with both using charcoal/chunks is going to be the really close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooohhh, man Pstores!! Even though my inclination is VO , if my wife saw your last two posts, it would clinch it in favor of IVC.

Her two lines of questions:

1) why do you have to go out to the fire so many times?

2) why do we have so much charcoal and wood?

I'll confess that IVC settles both those questions in a blink. BUT DA CAVEMAN keeps trying to burst loose from his moorings and rage with a fire visible for miles around, stabbing at flaming logs with glee. Man, I can't decide, its painfully clear I've got analysis paralysis

Guess I need your wife's phone number.... We can get this discussion over with then.... Lmao

Thanks mac93, Pstores, and BlueandGoldbbq,

My .02 is that VO is the less pure version of IVC that still allows my inner Neanderthal to snort sniff and stab things. I feel like Jack and his revelation of holding double digit hours at 250 degrees using basket and guru gives me confidence that I can start a brisket with sticks , get good smoke ring, and then go to sleep for the night.

Seeing ssv3, I'm so loving the thought of having a direct shot of open fire immediately below hanging meats. I'm getting pumped.

Here's the upcoming order of operations:
1) backyard landscaper gives us draft contract
2) we review and hopefully sign
3) HOA approves or rejects
4) HOA may block a dedicated permanent bbq shelter but that's what grillwraps is for
5) concrete bbq pad is poured--dreaming of 20x30 foot rectangle
6) request permission from Mrs to plunk down LSG cash (hopefully VO but will be thrilled with IVC)

I can't believe your hoa let's you have a trailer in the yard and that nobody's complained about the smoke. You must be in the only reasonable hoa I've ever heard of. :heh:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Pstores, I've got to relay the bad news bro: VO just can't be shaken. Unless the wife does a veto at the 11th hour, it's VO with 1/2 inch firebox and warmer oven. I'm also planning on asking Chris to fabricate a griddle plate so I can swap between divider plate and griddle. Ssv3, Jack, and Springram were instrumental in the decision.

Paul, HOA bans trailers. Otherwise, I'd go Shirley 30 x 80 straight back in a heart beat. The trailer ban has forced me to consider only patio rigs. I love stick burners so I'll be happy as long as I get my poured concrete pad

I know, my wife, who hails originally from your neck of the woods might talk some Badger sense into me, but the caveman still wants to poke at flaming logs!!

As mentioned, if I go IVC, I'll be happy as a clam too. LSG just makes what are arguably the best verticals on the market. I realize that IVC vs VO is win-win :)

Back