Lighter fluid versus cubes, torches chimney etc

I bought a pack of Weber Lighter Cubes a few years ago when the were marked way down for an end of the season sale. They work great. One cube per chimney of lump or briquettes. I used to use several sheets of news paper and found myself adding more and more to get get the same results as one cube.

I use the lighter cubes now when using my chimney to start my wsm. My performer has the propane start which I love. I have nothing against lighter fluid except it has to have time to burn off. Our family is currently living with my in laws while our house is being built and my father in law always uses lighter fluid to start his grill. The brat patties last night tasted like Kingsford charcoal with a hint of lighter fluid. Can't wait to get in our new home.

I haven't used fluid in years. I just get 3 full sheets of newspaper, roll them into softball sized balls, stuff em' under my chimney and once I touch em' off with my lighter they give off plenty of fire to start my lump.:-D

A chimney or two is the only way to go. I got tired of spending money on fluid and stuff that really has no business in my pits. News paper is free.. :rolleyes:

Starter cubes are my go to. When i'm out of cubes I use a paper towel soaked with vegetable oil.

I use lighter fluid to remove bar codes/sticky residue and to light my fire pile. I prefer to keep the lighter fluid away from my BBQ.

A chimney or two is the only way to go. I got tired of spending money on fluid and stuff that really has no business in my pits. News paper is free.. :rolleyes:

Same here. I'm not sure if it really affects flavor, but why buy it in the first place when a chimney works so well:crazy:

I use a chimney and take a couple of paper towels or some news paper and add a couple tablespoons of old cooking oil that I save just for that use. Let it soak into them and light it off. The oil keeps them burning way longer than needed to start my coals.

Brinkmann electric charcoal starter. It is the best. Lighter fluid works but takes a half hour to burn off. To much wasted fuel if you ask me but will work in a pinch in winter but it has to burn off before you start cooking. Electric starters are a better faster option in winter and work great in summer. No paper no lighter cubes no fluid. It's the cheapest and will light it even in the worst weather. No doubt about it electric starters are fantastic.

Same here. I'm not sure if it really affects flavor, but why buy it in the first place when a chimney works so well:crazy:

Exactly.. I really don't think fluid affects taste either. I wonder about folks that say they can taste it in the food, but that's just me.:tongue:

I started using Weber cubes again. I ran out and switched over to a weed burner for a few months but ordered a good supply online. (the weed burner IS a crowd pleaser though). :)

Back