New to me PBC

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Robb
Stumbled upon a once used PBC for way less than half of new. Couldn’t resist. Been probably 6 years since I’ve had a PBC. Last I knew the lighting instructions were to douse the charcoal with lighter fluid and quickly light. Let burn for 12 mins with lid off and you were ready to cook. Worked GREAT with zero taste of lighter fluid. Now it seems the preferred method is to used a chimney. Fill the basket and remove 1/4 of it to a chimney. Light and place back in charcoal basket when fully lit.

Curious to hear how todays Brethren PBC owners are lighting. Also, lump or charcoal? I always used KBB… but thinking of going lump this time as I have plenty and already know it’s my preferred fuel.

Good job. I've had lots of cookers and still think drums produce the best taste.
As for lighting. Ideally I'll use a mix of Briquettes and Lump.Ill dump a chimney full on to a basket reduced by a chimney amount. Last couple years I've used Rutltfire starter squares to light the chimney, as well as torch. I don't use lights fluid, not because of some hyper sensory perception to the fuel, it's just something not needed and therefore I don't have to keep up with it . If zim in a hurry to cooyI use the pellet

Last edited:
Robb, when I had my PBC, I always used a chimney starter, which worked fine. I think Noah took the lighter fluid approach in the early instructional videos to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, but lighter fluid has and and always will be off limits to me as it relates to cooking anything.

I only used briquettes in my PBC, but here's a thread which may help as it relates to those who've used lump:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153336

I usually start with a small chimney dumped over a mix of lump and briquettes, weber was my favorite but kbb works

Full disclosure. I was typing without my readers on.
I'm smarter than I type whilst blind

Thanks gents! The KBB/lump combo sounds like a good approach. Gonna hang some chicken tomorrow. Haven’t had PBC chicken in 6+ years. It’s time :)

Stumbled upon a once used PBC for way less than half of new. Couldn’t resist. Been probably 6 years since I’ve had a PBC. Last I knew the lighting instructions were to douse the charcoal with lighter fluid and quickly light. Let burn for 12 mins with lid off and you were ready to cook. Worked GREAT with zero taste of lighter fluid. Now it seems the preferred method is to used a chimney. Fill the basket and remove 1/4 of it to a chimney. Light and place back in charcoal basket when fully lit.

Curious to hear how todays Brethren PBC owners are lighting. Also, lump or charcoal? I always used KBB… but thinking of going lump this time as I have plenty and already know it’s my preferred fuel.

Pit Barrel makes a small charcoal chimney that is easier to fit down the barrel, but I prefer to load up with B&B briquettes, then drop four Weber fire starter cubes and light. Takes about 15 minutes to get going. I prefer B&B briquettes for long cooks as they burn very consistently for a long time. I use lump charcoal for hot and fast cooks like steak, chicken wings, etc.

Back