Lighter Fluid?

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Does anyone here use lighter fluid to start their charcoal? If so, why?

When I went back to charcoal this summer, I did because that’s how my dad did it years ago. I didn’t know any better. My wife complained about the taste it put on food, especially chicken. I then discovered charcoal chimneys and haven’t looked back. My bottles of lighter fluid will suffice for starting camp fires instead.

Propane ignition in the performer, electric loop in the cowboy grill, lighter fluid campfire or arson jobs only lol. aint had a good marshmallow murder in a long time, we used willow branches when I was a kid.

I use a small propane torch to star my chimney.
Lighter fluid is an abomination, but NOT worse than Match Light charcoal.

No. I use Weber cubes or Rutland fire starters. I do keep a bottle of lighter fluid around for burning brush. Cheaper and safer than gasoline.

Propane torch with a large charcoal chimney is what we have used and it works like a charm, helps get a jump on getting that charcoal ignited and not having to wait as long for it be ready to go!

I’m liking Rutland wafers. Two in drum , one in Primo, two in SOB and one for chimney. I keep lighter fluid around. Usually by a two pack and it will last a year+. I can’t taste it.

Last edited:
I've never been to my neighbor's backyard, but I can tell he uses it. Smell does remind me of years past, but it is nothing I want to revisit

Yes, the smell of the lighter fluid burning, I like it and it reminds me of when I was growing up.

A Story About lighter fluid

Story time about lighter fluid.

Growing up, there was no match light Charcoal or propane/NG bbqs at that time. In the summer when we had family bbqs my father would light the bbq Charcoal always with lighter fluid. Now, my father was known to be a stubborn inpatient man and nobody could get the concept through his head that it takes a few minutes for the coals to start to turn white and be ready for cooking.

So, whenever our family had a bbq all the kids in the neighborhood would come to watch the bonfire that my father would create as he proceeded to dump the whole bottle of lighter fluid on the lit coals within a 5-10 minute window.

Then one year he learned the hard way. Match light charcoal came onto the market. We tried and tried to explain To him that lighter fluid is not needed for these. It was useless talking to him. He was so stubborn. He Dumped out the match light into the bbq then soaked them with lighter fluid as usual. When he lit them up he lost the hair on his arms, eyebrows and lost half of his beard. He had his glasses on so that saved his eyes and eye lashes. He was bald already, so no hair lost there. His cheeks And forehead had like a mild sunburn.

Once we were sure he was not seriously injured we all decided to have a laugh at him and gave him the “learned your lesson” speeches.

Back