Lighter Fluid?

Chimney of lump over the propane starter in the Performer. 3 minutes with the gas on and maybe another 7 with the gas off and you're ready to go. The beautiful thing about lump is it doesn't need to be completely ashen to start cooking.

That's the key part. If you can't taste it and don't mind the smell as it gets up to temp then you're good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Don't hardly every use the stuff, but I've never been able to taste much difference in it or Match Light charcoal. On earlier episodes of Pitmasters Myron used it to get his coal bed burning hot.

Story time about lighter fluid.

Growing up, there was no match light Charcoal or propane/NG bbqs at that time. In the summer when we had family bbqs my father would light the bbq Charcoal always with lighter fluid. Now, my father was known to be a stubborn inpatient man and nobody could get the concept through his head that it takes a few minutes for the coals to start to turn white and be ready for cooking.

So, whenever our family had a bbq all the kids in the neighborhood would come to watch the bonfire that my father would create as he proceeded to dump the whole bottle of lighter fluid on the lit coals within a 5-10 minute window.

Then one year he learned the hard way. Match light charcoal came onto the market. We tried and tried to explain To him that lighter fluid is not needed for these. It was useless talking to him. He was so stubborn. He Dumped out the match light into the bbq then soaked them with lighter fluid as usual. When he lit them up he lost the hair on his arms, eyebrows and lost half of his beard. He had his glasses on so that saved his eyes and eye lashes. He was bald already, so no hair lost there. His cheeks And forehead had like a mild sunburn.

Once we were sure he was not seriously injured we all decided to have a laugh at him and gave him the “learned your lesson” speeches.

Yikes, its amazing you are into BBQ. Most people would have PTSD from that experience. I can relate, my dad made sure everything he cooked on the grill was jerky. Nothing like a good charred chicken jerky drumstick. Or thick steak jerky. If only his was tender like jack links.

Nope. Chimney and starter cubes.

The house next to use and the house behind us, both use way too much lighter fluid. I've had many pleasant days outside, that were ruined by the smell. One of them uses so much, that I couldn't even smell the lit cigar in my mouth, over his fumes.

chimney and starter cubes also here
I user lighting fluid for my fireplace, at home, during winter.

Every Time........ even in the chimney. And at EVERY SINGLE N TX BBQ BASH (well in Driveway before Heading Out to the Bash....... and the 2 or 3 Times I had to Refire on side of the road) :heh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ScS5FskhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCH_sTO1hoY

except in the Most Affordable Gravity Fed Insulated Cabinet Smoker on the Market -- gotta use the torch......... :twitch:

I Don't do Matchlite/ knockoff charcoal................ Of course if dumping lit on unlit - only the lit in chimney gets the Sauce..........

Last edited:
In 2007 we cooked at Dillard Ga, across from Myron. He was super cool and actually the one who got me a tent and cooker so we could fly down. I’d always heard he used lighter fluid and was skeptical until I saw Doby squeeze (2) 32 oz jugs of Kingsford fluid all over the charcoal. When they lit the fire, it climbed out the front of the firebox several feet like an inferno. Myron cooks super hot with a water pan, so it works for him, because by the time the meat hits the grill, any trace of the fluid is long gone.

Last edited:
A Kamado Joe was my first charcoal grill so lighter fluid was a no-no. When I switched to the kettle I just kept using the same starters I had (though in a chimney) I'm almost always using the slow and sear so don't need more charcoal than the chimney will hold.

If I was going to use the kettle to grill a bunch of burgers etc, I wouldn't be against going the lighter fluid route. That said, I typically just use the gasser in that case so haven't had the need

I've probably shared this before, but what the hell

My grandpa would have family over every year for bbq ( I want to say Father's day), he'd go to butcher, pick out his tbones, and fire up his homemade brick grill.

He'd get flames going good and hot with lighter fluid, throw steaks on, shoot more lighter fluid on fire, got to keep those flames going, and serve up charred steaks no one liked ( I didn't like steak until HS when I discovered med to med well, I've advanced to mid rare). We'd all smile, say polite things, drown them in steak sauce or catsup and try to discreetly toss uneaten portion in trash and fill up on side dishes

Back