In progress…Fabled 3 Bone Pork Chop (Perry’s)

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
So after seeing the discussions this week about a 3 Bone Pork Chop served at Perry’s steakhouse, in this post ( https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296261

I thought I’d give it a go.

Photo from Perry’s website:
1467539379a6b2b8aefaca87cd7467cd.jpg

Here’s the descriptions we have so far

From Mike Twangzer:

For those of you who have had the 3 bone thick pork chop at Perry's Steak House .... how do they cook that ? They claim roasted for 8 hours but I'm not sure. The meat is just shy of pull apart like pulled pork. Juicy ... delicious. All the copycats don't quite make it. You can tell when they cut into it that the meat is not as tender and is more solid than pull apart. They serve a lot of them ... that's why I doubt the 8hr cook ... any tips ? Anyone able to duplicate it ?

From their website:

A recipe perfected over four decades, our chop is rubbed with a secret blend of seasonings, cured, roasted, slow smoked, caramelized, finished in the oven and topped with Perry's herb-garlic butter, and carved tableside during dinner service each evening. Enjoy our seven-finger-high chop seven days a week!

So it’s a 3 bone chop, seasoned, cured, roasted and slow smoked, then caramelized and finished in the oven. Topped with herb-garlic butter when served

The challenge is this;

“The meat is just shy of pull apart like pulled pork. Juicy ... delicious.”

Almost pull apart + juicy for a pork loin!!!!???!
should be interesting

There was some speculation that they might be using heritage pork, but I’m going with commodity pork.

To mimic the seasoning and curing, I’m going with harvest brine for a ~48 hour dry brine (aka cure).

eb4c8523b31be02c203806da340f8ebd.jpg

9290f69569dad47a2cdb4b4311b5353c.jpg

Check back Sunday afternoon!

d570161f19caa9fcf9a778f57af4cfcc.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn’t go that high. I have had the Perry’s chop quite a few times. They have a really good deal on it for Friday lunch. The meat around the rib bones is very tender but the loin roast portion is very moist like any other perfectly cooked loin roast. I have always cut with a fork and knife and never noticed it being pull apart tender. To be honest the loin roast portion is a little boring. The perfect caramelization on the crust with the herbed garlic butter is what sets it apart. The outside portion is delicious and worth it. Internal on the loin probably shouldn’t be higher than 145 is my guess. The trick is getting the outside perfect while not drying out the middle.

I wouldn’t go that high. I have had the Perry’s chop quite a few times. They have a really good deal on it for Friday lunch. The meat around the rib bones is very tender but the loin roast portion is very moist like any other perfectly cooked loin roast. I have always cut with a fork and knife and never noticed it being pull apart tender. To be honest the loin roast portion is a little boring. The perfect caramelization on the crust with the herbed garlic butter is what sets it apart. The outside portion is delicious and worth it. Internal on the loin probably shouldn’t be higher than 145 is my guess. The trick is getting the outside perfect while not drying out the middle.

Great input, thanks!

I was scared to go much above 145, but science is science. I was thinking if I went really low cook temp, I could pull off a bit higher finish temps

Thank you for begining to unravel the mystery. Perhaps my description was a little exhuberant ?? Don't know. Sure I used a knife and fork but also could separate strands with a fork. Glad more actual Perry's customers are chiming in !!!

"A recipe perfected over four decades, our chop is rubbed with a secret blend of seasonings, cured, roasted, slow smoked, caramelized, finished in the oven and topped with Perry's herb-garlic butter, and carved tableside during dinner service each evening. Enjoy our seven-finger-high chop seven days a week!"

Let's take a closer look at the prep and cooking process Perry's marketing department concocted to impress the masses and perhaps even confuse folks like us who might try to figure it out:

1. Rubbed with a secret blend of seasonings
2. Cured
3. Roasted
4. Slow smoked
5. Carmelized
6. Finished in the oven

The rub part is easy, no mystery there.

Since no one seems to describe a "hammy" taste from the chop, I think we can cross off an actual cure, though it's possible the chop is brined, which could account for how juicy and even tender it is. But, it is most likely NOT cured.

Steps 3-6 don't really make sense from a sequential standpoint. I would suggest the meat is smoked at a medium to high temp(roasted), then finished in a hot oven to brown and "caramelize" the roast, which is why it has such a nice color. In other words, the meat is smoked during step 1 of a reverse sear, then exposed to high heat just before serving, step 2 of the reverse sear.

So, steps 3 & 4 could be one in the same, as steps 5 and 6 may be one and the same.

So, as it relates to the actual cooking process, now we really only have:

1. Meat is smoked at a moderate or high temp(275-325)

2. Meat is caramelized by finishing in a hot oven

All of the fancy mumbo jumbo they are using to describe this magical and alchemical process doesn't make sense for a restaurant product like this. Sans the seasoning part, a reverse sear makes complete sense, however.

"A recipe perfected over four decades, our chop is rubbed with a secret blend of seasonings, cured, roasted, slow smoked, caramelized, finished in the oven and topped with Perry's herb-garlic butter, and carved tableside during dinner service each evening. Enjoy our seven-finger-high chop seven days a week!"

Let's take a closer look at the prep and cooking process Perry's marketing department concocted to impress the masses and perhaps even confuse folks like us who might try to figure it out:

1. Rubbed with a secret blend of seasonings
2. Cured
3. Roasted
4. Slow smoked
5. Carmelized
6. Finished in the oven

The rub part is easy, no mystery there.

Since no one seems to describe a "hammy" taste from the chop, I think we can cross off an actual cure, though it's possible the chop is brined, which could account for how juicy and even tender it is. But, it is most likely NOT cured.

Steps 3-6 don't really make sense from a sequential standpoint. I would suggest the meat is smoked at a medium to high temp(roasted), then finished in a hot oven to brown and "caramelize" the roast, which is why it has such a nice color. In other words, the meat is smoked during step 1 of a reverse sear, then exposed to high heat just before serving, step 2 of the reverse sear.

So, steps 3 & 4 could be one in the same, as steps 5 and 6 may be one and the same.

So, as it relates to the actual cooking process, now we really only have:

1. Meat is smoked at a moderate or high temp(275-325)

2. Meat is caramelized by finishing in a hot oven

All of the fancy mumbo jumbo they are using to describe this magical and alchemical process doesn't make sense for a restaurant product like this. Sans the seasoning part, a reverse sear makes complete sense, however.

I did consider a higher heat cook with reverse sear, but that does not produce the texture described originally by Mike.
That’s how I typically cook those cuts and while delicious, I’m not sure if it fits the bill or not.

Nashville Eater describes it like this:

“Perry’s Steakhouse’s flagship menu item is the “seven-finger” pork chop — one that truly measures seven fingers high — the way butchers historically measured meat. The signature chop is rubbed with seasoning, cured, and slow-smoked with pecan wood for up to six hours. Upon order, it’s glazed, caramelized, then topped with Perry’s signature herb-garlic butter. When the massive pork chop ready, the meaty wonder is proudly carved and presented table-side.”

I’m going to go the opposite way and do a super low temp cook.

What do we reckon the glaze is?

I really need the Brethren field research team to bring back more information during their reconnaissance.

Last edited:
4. Slow smoked

Just a little input here; Traditional Kassler Rippchen is cured only for a few hours before smoking. This step is not to "cure" the meat, but rather to protect the meat from bacteria in a low temperature environment in the smoker, which is also void of oxygen. The perfect environment for food-borne illness. While it may have a hint of ham flavor, the pork loin remains a warm brown color and tastes more like pork than ham.

Although I have had some Kassler Rippchen that has obviously been fully cured, this is not the traditional way it was served in Southern Germany.

Could this be a similar step for slow smoking in a low temperature environment?

Just a little input here; Traditional Kassler Rippchen is cured only for a few hours before smoking. This step is not to "cure" the meat, but rather to protect the meat from bacteria in a low temperature environment in the smoker

Could this be a similar step for slow smoking in a low temperature environment?

Yes, that makes perfect sense!

After seeing that picture, I am trying to justify a 4 hour trip to Nashville next Friday to join QN and his wife and try it for myself. Oh, as far as I am concerned, it will be well worth it, but how do I convince my wife that it is a good idea?

Tell her it will be a great meal with great company...
Would be great to see you both again. Make a weekend getaway out of it and take her down to Broadway for some music and spend the night....

Back